analog watch - rewind or no? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
pursuit1002

New

analog watch - rewind or no?

Post by pursuit1002 » Mon May 19, 2008 12:10 pm

Hey so we can only use analog watches at the test right?
Some books suggest that we rewind our watches to 12 before starting every section as to make it easier to see how much time we have left.
Good idea or waste of precious time?

lbeezy

Gold

Re: analog watch - rewind or no?

Post by lbeezy » Mon May 19, 2008 12:13 pm

If you do it "before starting" you aren't going to be wasting any time. It just makes it easier to see how much time has passed.

Some people also advocate winding it so that it ends at 12 (putting it at :25 after). Which makes it more of a countdown for you.

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Mon May 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Absolutely a good idea. It will take you a couple of seconds, tops, to do this. Compared to the amount of time you would waste doing the math to figure out how much time you have left (or to remember at what time you actually started this section) that is nothing. I did the start at the top of the hour thing, though like iBeezy said, some people set it for :25 so that you end at top of the hour. (BTW, though I started the exam with it at noon, after that I didn't really care whether it was noon or just the top of the hour that I started at.)

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Mon May 19, 2008 12:24 pm

At my testing center I was the only one with an analog watch (and I did wind to 12:00 to start). Everyone else brought digitals: the proctor didn't care - I wish I had known before the test day.

Rosstafarian

New

Post by Rosstafarian » Mon May 19, 2008 12:38 pm

Buy a chronograph. It's much easier. There's a relatively inexpensive Timex one that I bought and was very happy with it. --LinkRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nkp

New

Post by nkp » Mon May 19, 2008 12:53 pm

I used an analog watch and set it to 12 before every section, it was very helpful, and only took about 2 seconds to do right before the start of every section, I definetly recommend it!

YoungFogey

New

Post by YoungFogey » Mon May 19, 2008 12:58 pm

takingmytime wrote:At my testing center I was the only one with an analog watch (and I did wind to 12:00 to start). Everyone else brought digitals: the proctor didn't care - I wish I had known before the test day.
Your test mates got extremely lucky! At my center the proctors followed the rules to a T. One person had their analog watch taken because it had a digital date feature.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Mon May 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Take it back to 12 after every section. Trying to do the math in your head is going to drive you nuts, and waste valuable brain cells on math.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Mon May 19, 2008 1:10 pm

A chronograph seems like overkill to me. Setting your analog watch back to 12 before* each section should be sufficient for pacing.

*In my case I set my watch to 12:00 and left it disengaged until the proctor indicated that we should begin work, as soon as she said this I popped in the little knob and began working--it took away less than 2 seconds of time per section.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Mon May 19, 2008 1:18 pm

edcrane wrote:A chronograph seems like overkill to me. Setting your analog watch back to 12 before* each section should be sufficient for pacing.

*In my case I set my watch to 12:00 and left it disengaged until the proctor indicated that we should begin work, as soon as she said this I popped in the little knob and began working--it took away less than 2 seconds of time per section.
I agree, a little overkill if it is just for the LSAT.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Mon May 19, 2008 1:23 pm

I did the same this as edcrane, my watch would let it sit on 12 until I pushed the button back in when the proctor called time.

I said "after" each section because I assumed that you'd start at 12 on the first section, and then reset it back to 12 as soon as she called time, and then push the button when she said start. And like Mr. Crane said, it takes almost no time to do this.

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Mon May 19, 2008 1:25 pm

YoungFogey wrote:
takingmytime wrote:At my testing center I was the only one with an analog watch (and I did wind to 12:00 to start). Everyone else brought digitals: the proctor didn't care - I wish I had known before the test day.
Your test mates got extremely lucky! At my center the proctors followed the rules to a T. One person had their analog watch taken because it had a digital date feature.
It's all wbout perspective. The other thing that happened at my test center was that before section 1 a girl asked to go to the bathroom. The proctor said yes and about 10 seconds after she left the room the proctor started the first section. As soon as people started opening their books I raised my hand and asked if we could wait for her. The proctor put it to a vote and an overwhelming majority said they would rather just start (ahh law school people).

My test center had very lax rules and I followed every rule - even those that it would have been beneficial to break (ex: digital watch, cell phone to call a ride when it was over). But at the end of the day I didn't get any advantage or disadvantage.

lsatnotes.com

New

Post by lsatnotes.com » Mon May 19, 2008 2:52 pm

My suggestion is to take a digital AND an analog watch with you to the center. If the proctor won't care, use the digital. Otherwise the analog.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Mon May 19, 2008 3:07 pm

What's the rationale behind not allowing the use of digital? The potential for beeping?

Walt 1973

New

Post by Walt 1973 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Setting to 11:25 for each section and pushing the button when the proctor said "Start now" worked well for me. Now, if I could have just gotten more correct answers, everything would have been perfect. My watch was the least of my concerns.

eupelia

New

Post by eupelia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 pm

That's why I invented my own countdown watch one week before the test and am now trying to sell it because it really does help. I put some on eBay too, under LSAT analog countdown timer"

You can send me a message and I'll send you details as well if you prefer.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:28 am

Lol @ bumping a 2 year old thread to sell your product...

BarCliff

New

Post by BarCliff » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 am

That countdown timer is a joke, right? I mean, it's just a regular watch with a different sticker over the numbers

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”