LSAT: June, Oct, Dec, Feb, when is it easiest? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mnlawschoolman

New

LSAT: June, Oct, Dec, Feb, when is it easiest?

Post by mnlawschoolman » Fri May 16, 2008 10:38 pm

I've heard LSAC "normalizes" the LSAT to a higher score in June (I've heard 154), than they do in Oct, that Oct is higher than Dec, and Dec higher than Feb. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Does this mean that taking the June LSAT is effectively "easier"? So (I'm just pulling this out of my a**) missing 20 questions in June might get you a 165, while missing 20 questions in Feb might get you a 161?

My basic question: is one month's LSAT easier than another's?

bonesinger

New

Re: LSAT: June, Oct, Dec, Feb, when is it easiest?

Post by bonesinger » Fri May 16, 2008 10:55 pm

i dont think so, last years june exam had the hardest curve i believe for 170. But hard curves are not constant, we have no way to tell.

LSAT All Star

New

Post by LSAT All Star » Fri May 16, 2008 11:07 pm

mnlawschoolman wrote: Does this mean that taking the June LSAT is effectively "easier"? So (I'm just pulling this out of my a**) missing 20 questions in June might get you a 165, while missing 20 questions in Feb might get you a 161?
If missing the same number of questions gives you a higher score, it means the exam was harder, not easier.

LSAT All Star

New

Post by LSAT All Star » Fri May 16, 2008 11:10 pm

mnlawschoolman wrote:I've heard LSAC "normalizes" the LSAT to a higher score in June (I've heard 154), than they do in Oct, that Oct is higher than Dec, and Dec higher than Feb. Does anyone else know anything about this?
I do not know if it is still true, but I believe all LSATs are "normalized" to 150.

mnlawschoolman

New

Post by mnlawschoolman » Fri May 16, 2008 11:29 pm

here look at this: http://www.deloggio.com/how&when/lsat.htm

"The students who are best at standardized tests often take the June LSAT. They feel prepared earlier, and don't procrastinate because they don't fear the test. The groups in October and December are the most typical test-takers; and the February group tends to be composed of the poorest test-takers. Law Services takes this into account in grading the test. They "normalize" the June LSAT to a 154, the October LSAT to a 152, December to 151, and February to 149. So if you can be ready in June, take the test then. But if you attend a college on the quarter system, you'll be in finals the week before (and perhaps even the week of) the LSAT. You'll just have to live with the October test."

This site seems sort of out of date, but that is what I was talking about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSAT All Star

New

Post by LSAT All Star » Fri May 16, 2008 11:45 pm

mnlawschoolman wrote:here look at this: http://www.deloggio.com/how&when/lsat.htm
I went and took a look. They did not say what their credentials were. Their link to their homepage did not work. They said several things I disagree with. I randomly clicked on some of the alleged success stories (about 10 of them). It was not students who were claiming they were successfully helped. It was the company highlighting people who they claim they help. (It also appears the photos were taken by the company, not provided by the students.) Most of the success stories I read were about people at bottom tier law schools. (What the hell is the Thomas Jefferson School of Law?) While you can possibly trust the stuff they cited, you'll have to be your own judge on the other stuff.

takingmytime

New

Post by takingmytime » Tue May 20, 2008 11:24 am

mnlawschoolman wrote:They "normalize" the June LSAT to a 154, the October LSAT to a 152, December to 151, and February to 149
But, even if this is true, it can be deceptive because if in june 50% score above 154 and in February 50% score aobve 149 the drop off from these scores to 180 must be different. They may converge at 160 or 175 or 180. That is, the 90th percentile scores may or may not change - same with 80th percentile or even 60th percentile. From the looks of it, it seems like the 98-99th percentile is pretty stable at 170-172. Thus, if you expect to score that high, the median bump offers to advantage or disadantage - the change only comes for those closest to the median.

And, by the way, I am skeptical that a test based on percentiles would alter their system in this fashion.

Sammyler

New

Post by Sammyler » Tue May 20, 2008 11:59 am

This has been debated for so long and no one has figured it out. LSAC remains silent on the issue, which leads me to believe that there may be a month that is curved "easier".

I have always argued that one month is a better month because the same scores yield the same percentile ranks and that June takers are generally more prepared than February takers I think. (They have the summer to study, and aren't rushing to get a score in to apply).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”