Unofficial Logic Games Books? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Unofficial Logic Games Books?

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:38 am

I enjoy logic games. I bet you rarely see those words, right?

Anyway, I'm preparing for the June LSAT, and I will take the October LSAT should my score be low. As part of my preparation, I'm taking timed examinations. To avoid unfair scores, I am not taking sections out of order. However, I enjoy logic games and would love to have a big book of them that I could play randomly whenever I felt like without compromising my LSAT preparation.

Needless to say, I need games that are not part of tests 1 - 83. Cambridge has some nice ones, but I'd really like having a book in front of me. If anybody knows of books on logic games that use unofficial questions, that would be cool. Thank you!

Kiwilaw

New

Re: Unofficial Logic Games Books?

Post by Kiwilaw » Tue May 21, 2019 7:25 am

I kind of like them too! Curious to see if there is a big book of them

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue May 21, 2019 10:09 am

You can buy old homework books from the major test prep courses that divide them up by game type. This is actually the ideal way to study when you aren't drilling full sections and tests to either track your progress or get the timing down.

Years ago, the major courses all had print books for everything with no online material. For many test-prep companies, particularly those with weaker instructors and generic methodologies these materials were the most useful part of their courses. In the past ~5 years, the major courses have all moved online because (1) there was a demand for more online resources, (2) they wanted to prevent people from being able to buy these materials used for around $100 in lieu of a $1,500 course and (3) offering the materials online allows them to charge clients multiple times, which is actually built into their business model.

From speaking with others in the LSAT prep industry, this was actually the main reason why the major test prep companies stopped printing these materials. Obviously, a 3-month course isn't going to be sufficient to maximize one's score. It used to be the students pushing for a 170+ would take a course, then spend an add'l 3 months self-studying with the course materials, including books that break up logic games by game type. By keeping the materials online, test prep companies can charge students another $500-1,000 to self-study after the course without having to disclose upfront that the $2,000 course is really going to be closer to $3,000 for those serious about improving their LSAT score.

I'm not going to name test prep companies or post the books to acquire for your goals, because I'm not interested in generating any conflict with the big fish but you're looking for materials that predate the move to online platforms.

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:32 am

LSATWiz.com wrote:You can buy old homework books from the major test prep courses that divide them up by game type. This is actually the ideal way to study when you aren't drilling full sections and tests to either track your progress or get the timing down.

Years ago, the major courses all had print books for everything with no online material. For many test-prep companies, particularly those with weaker instructors and generic methodologies these materials were the most useful part of their courses. In the past ~5 years, the major courses have all moved online because (1) there was a demand for more online resources, (2) they wanted to prevent people from being able to buy these materials used for around $100 in lieu of a $1,500 course and (3) offering the materials online allows them to charge clients multiple times, which is actually built into their business model.

From speaking with others in the LSAT prep industry, this was actually the main reason why the major test prep companies stopped printing these materials. Obviously, a 3-month course isn't going to be sufficient to maximize one's score. It used to be the students pushing for a 170+ would take a course, then spend an add'l 3 months self-studying with the course materials, including books that break up logic games by game type. By keeping the materials online, test prep companies can charge students another $500-1,000 to self-study after the course without having to disclose upfront that the $2,000 course is really going to be closer to $3,000 for those serious about improving their LSAT score.

I'm not going to name test prep companies or post the books to acquire for your goals, because I'm not interested in generating any conflict with the big fish but you're looking for materials that predate the move to online platforms.
Thank you. I learned something new today. Now I'll see if I can find those books.

sgjnkwon

New

Post by sgjnkwon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Hey, I have the book ACE the LSAT, which I found recommended on TLS by a high scorer. The games in the book are more challenging than the real games, but they are good practice - going through them makes the real ones seem easier. I wouldn't say it's a must-have, but it may suit your purposes of avoiding real games while giving you some darn-hard practice.

foggynotion

New

Post by foggynotion » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:47 pm

I thought the OP wanted non-official games to supplement their practice. These company hw books you're talking about that were once part of course material, they had games that weren't on previously administered tests?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”