Should I re-take the LSAT in June? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
harryfei

New

Should I re-take the LSAT in June?

Post by harryfei » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi,

I'm considering re-taking the LSAT in June to give it a shot at the schools where I have been waitlisted. Is that a good idea?

My stats are 172/3.7 and I'm an international applicant.

I have been admitted at Cornell, and waitlisted at half of the T14s, from GULC to HLS (dinged by UVA though). I was hoping for better results, but maybe I applied too late (submitted around 1/31), or my softs are too weak. Anyway, I want to take my chances with the WLs, especially Columbia and Harvard. And my question is: Suppose I can get 2 or 3 extra points on the LSAT, would I have a real chance with CLS and/or HLS when they take another look at their WLs in late June? Or should I spend my time and energy on something else?

Bronze

Re: Should I re-take the LSAT in June?

Post by 239840 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:16 am

I'd say applying that late didn't help your case by any means, but you might as well retake if you think you can do better than that. 174 would put you at CLS' 75th percentile score I think.

harryfei

New

Post by harryfei » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:26 pm

239840 wrote:I'd say applying that late didn't help your case by any means, but you might as well retake if you think you can do better than that. 174 would put you at CLS' 75th percentile score I think.
CLS told me in an email that they don't consider LSAT scores from exams taken after January. So this is it, I'm not taking the LSAT again!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:15 pm

harryfei wrote:
239840 wrote:I'd say applying that late didn't help your case by any means, but you might as well retake if you think you can do better than that. 174 would put you at CLS' 75th percentile score I think.
CLS told me in an email that they don't consider LSAT scores from exams taken after January. So this is it, I'm not taking the LSAT again!
As an international applicant you would always have challenges (I'm assuming you're not a permanent resident). Retaking is only worthwhile if you also delay a year to combine the (presumably) higher lsat with an earlier application.

harryfei

New

Post by harryfei » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:57 pm

albanach wrote:
harryfei wrote:
As an international applicant you would always have challenges (I'm assuming you're not a permanent resident). Retaking is only worthwhile if you also delay a year to combine the (presumably) higher lsat with an earlier application.
I'm not a permanent resident. I'm curious about the point you made, though. Are you saying that having a PR status alone would be considered an advantage for international applicants in the admission process because it's easier for them to find jobs (without the limitations of H1-b)?

I'm not going to reapply next year, so I'm not thinking of retaking the LSAT anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:20 am

You did apply super late and would likely get better results applying day 1. You also should retake the LSAT if you performed below your average. A few years ago I applied with a 3.7 and 176 and am now about to graduate from Harvard.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Dcc617 wrote:You did apply super late and would likely get better results applying day 1. You also should retake the LSAT if you performed below your average. A few years ago I applied with a 3.7 and 176 and am now about to graduate from Harvard.
I don't think you were an international applicant, though, Dcc. Internationals almost always "underperform" their numbers relative to domestic applicants, because schools are concerned about their employability (and more so now than before, I'd venture).

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 am

So I'm confused about that, since OP gave a GPA, not a superior or normal international GPA.

harryfei

New

Post by harryfei » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:31 am

Dcc617 wrote:So I'm confused about that, since OP gave a GPA, not a superior or normal international GPA.
I am an international applicant. The 3.7 number is evaluated by WES (World Educational Services) and I provided it as a reference. My CAS evaluation is AA (Above Average). Sorry for the confusion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”