The implications of going -15, -4, -4, -3 on my diagnostic Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Bonzeye

New

The implications of going -15, -4, -4, -3 on my diagnostic

Post by Bonzeye » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 am

As the title says, I took an LSAT diagnostic test and went -15, -4, -4, -3 on each section, respectively. The gap in these scores worries me, since I am hoping to score over a 170 in the future. I understand the games may be the easiest to learn, but they seemed so difficult for me. There seems to be quite a bit of information to sift through in each scenario, whereas I can usually find the right answer before I'm done reading through all the options on the other sections. Obviously, such an extreme gap in scores is uncommon. Is it possible to improve so drastically in the games?

For the record, I have always had a little trouble with math, and there was a 270 point difference between my SAT math and English score (new version). I've simply always struggled with math.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: The implications of going -15, -4, -4, -3 on my diagnostic

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 am

"On each section, respectively" doesn't really tell us anything about what sections you're referring to. Is the -15 for LG?

BansheeScream

New

Post by BansheeScream » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:17 am

I think I maybe got like 3 questions right on my first LG section and by the end of studying I never missed more than 1 or 2. It is mind-blowingly learnable even if it doesn't make sense to you at first. Once you know diagramming strategy you barely have to think about it.

If your -15 was on reading comp then I'd be a little worried just because it's harder to improve but don't freak out. That's fine for a diagnostic.

Bonzeye

New

Post by Bonzeye » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:17 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:"On each section, respectively" doesn't really tell us anything about what sections you're referring to. Is the -15 for LG?
Aren't the sections usually ordered the same way? So logic games comes first, then each logical reasoning section, then reading comprehension. Sorry, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Bonzeye wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:"On each section, respectively" doesn't really tell us anything about what sections you're referring to. Is the -15 for LG?
Aren't the sections usually ordered the same way? So logic games comes first, then each logical reasoning section, then reading comprehension. Sorry, I'm pretty new to this stuff.
They are not. It's random. Plus an extra section, not scored, that you can't predict.

The implications are that you, like everyone else, should try to get a little better every day until you are PTing consistently at the score you want. Fortunately, for you, LG is by far the easiest section to learn to do flawlessly. Find some basic LG instruction, Khan Academy is free for starters. And then start taking sections and using the 7Sage walkthroughs on Youtube (also free). All things considered I'd guess between 4 and 6 weeks of consistent practice before you should start seeing the results you want.

As far as the other sections go, just start grinding. You're already at "final plateau" as I like to call it. It's by far the toughest to break through because it requires learning how to answer the hardest of the hard questions consistently. Also, June 2007 is, imo, on the very easy side of LSATs, so don't get too down on yourself if those numbers are at the top of your charted range for the first month or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”