Study plan advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
christinehkim

New

Study plan advice

Post by christinehkim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi,

I recently started studying for the LSAT and plan to take the exam in the summer. Right now, I'm struggling to find a study plan that works. For those who have been studying/are experienced: do you recommend studying a section for a period of time and then moving on? I.e. study LR for a week, LG for a week, RC for a week, etc.? Or should I stick with a topic till mastery?

Also looking for a study buddy. If anyone is in the beginning stages, I'd like to share study ideas and plans :) Thanks in advance!

Lxwind

New

Re: Study plan advice

Post by Lxwind » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:12 pm

christinehkim wrote:Hi,

I recently started studying for the LSAT and plan to take the exam in the summer. Right now, I'm struggling to find a study plan that works. For those who have been studying/are experienced: do you recommend studying a section for a period of time and then moving on? I.e. study LR for a week, LG for a week, RC for a week, etc.? Or should I stick with a topic till mastery?

Also looking for a study buddy. If anyone is in the beginning stages, I'd like to share study ideas and plans :) Thanks in advance!
Without more info, my advice is to take a PT first (timed and following all the test instructions) to get a general idea of the test and figure out which part is your weak point, then plan based on that.

Blueprint LSAT

Re: Study plan advice

Post by Blueprint LSAT » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:59 pm

A lot depends of your goals/needs.

You definitely want to know where you are starting. As was already mentioned, definitely take a diagnostic or two. You should also look at your GPA and target schools/scholarship aspirations. Once you have compared your current situation with where you need to be you will have a general idea how much work you have ahead of you.

Once you know how much progress you need to make, start looking for the low hanging fruit. If you can focus on the section that was roughest for you and figure it out well enough to get the bump you need, that might be enough. Alternatively, if you really didn't know much about the test going in, maybe getting a little outside wisdom from prep materials on each section might help you pick up a point or two on each.

If you end up needing a large increase, you might need to spend considerable time on each section.

To answer the original question a little more directly, if you do need a big increase I don't think methodically tackling each section in order is a great idea. There are a lot of concepts that run across the whole test and it is useful to learn about the sections concurrently, if only so you don't get rusty on one of them. If you end up making the commitment to a 10+ point score increase, I would suggest looking through the study guides on this board or investing in other prep resources that help you come up with a study plan that will take you through all the topics you need to learn in a rational order.

Sorry if that isn't incredibly useful advice. If you post your specific situation/goals I could, in turn, be more specific.

Andrew McDonald, Blueprint Instructor.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”