LG practiced by group? (how to find the types of LG) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
liuyunchen

New

LG practiced by group? (how to find the types of LG)

Post by liuyunchen » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:17 am

Hi,
Thanks a lot for reading.
I'm preparing for LG and many people recommend doing the Cambridge bundles.It's said that I can find the obvious patterns in them. I've gone through the Powerscore and Cambridge 1-38 bundle. However, I cannot find the exact pattern of each type. I find that the determined assignment, undetermined assignment and grouping (distribution) quite similar. Although I can always drill without knowing the pattern but still could anyone please tell me the difference and obvious pattern between them?
Thanks a lot for your kindly reply.
Liuyunchen

Blueprint LSAT

Re: LG practiced by group? (how to find the types of LG)

Post by Blueprint LSAT » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Keep in mind that games will sometimes have elements of both grouping and ordering,so thinking of those as overarching types and going from there can be useful.

Start by asking "Am I putting things in groups?" and "Does order matter?"

From there, decide which one is going to be the base of your diagram. For example, say there are two races, each runner can only run in one race, and the finishing position of each runner matters. We are tracking two main things. Which race each runner is in AND what position they finished in.

In this example, the two groups would become the base for your diagram and you would track the order within each group. That diagram is much easier to use than a diagram that tracked the order primarily.

The other game types are basically sub-types which further break down how to handle things. If you are tracking order, can there be ties? Will there need to be repeated elements? If you are tracking groups, can an element go in multiple groups? Are the group sizes fixed or unfixed? The answers to these questions further defines how you are going to handle the game (or in the context of the original post, which type of game it is)

Basically, it is a little easier to think of the game types as more of a tiered structure with Ordering/Grouping/Both/Neither a the top and sub-types differentiated by the relationship of the # of elements to spaces and the relationship of the # of spaces to groups.

Andrew McDonald, Blueprint Instructor

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”