I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nicole1994

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:57 pm

I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby nicole1994 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi all,

I know my question "what will it take " is vague..but by that I really mean to ask:

1) how long might this take. Diagnostic is 141... I will be going to school 15 hrs and and am not looking for job or internship on the side just so I can kill this test hopefully , which gives me anywhere from 4- 6 hrs each day to study for lsat and 5-7 hrs on wknds. I feel like it will take me like 9 months of prep minimum based on my diagnostic and if I study for minimum 5 hrs each day

2) is aiming to PT 174 plus consistently in order to max my chances of getting dream score a realistic goal for me?

Thank you

User avatar
UBETutoring

Bronze
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby UBETutoring » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:01 pm

nicole1994 wrote:Hi all,

I know my question "what will it take " is vague..but by that I really mean to ask:

1) how long might this take. Diagnostic is 141... I will be going to school 15 hrs and and am not looking for job or internship on the side just so I can kill this test hopefully , which gives me anywhere from 4- 6 hrs each day to study for lsat and 5-7 hrs on wknds. I feel like it will take me like 9 months of prep minimum based on my diagnostic and if I study for minimum 5 hrs each day

2) is aiming to PT 174 plus consistently in order to max my chances of getting dream score a realistic goal for me?

Thank you

Yes, but it will take time. 4-6 hours may be a lot and you may burn out. Do an amount that you will be able to do consistently. Consistency > Intensity for any skill burning exercise. You never want to put 100% full effort into anything in life unless it's actually game time. That's a recipe for burnout. You want to do the most you can do 6 days a week. Focus on individual question types. In fact, I'd start with becoming an expert in formal logic and main conclusion questions before worrying about any other question type. These are two foundational sills that LSAC tests again and again, and if you are great at both it becomes difficult not to break a 160. From there, begin learning each type of game and LR question individually.

aniston958

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby aniston958 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:58 pm

UBETutoring wrote:
nicole1994 wrote:Hi all,

I know my question "what will it take " is vague..but by that I really mean to ask:

1) how long might this take. Diagnostic is 141... I will be going to school 15 hrs and and am not looking for job or internship on the side just so I can kill this test hopefully , which gives me anywhere from 4- 6 hrs each day to study for lsat and 5-7 hrs on wknds. I feel like it will take me like 9 months of prep minimum based on my diagnostic and if I study for minimum 5 hrs each day

2) is aiming to PT 174 plus consistently in order to max my chances of getting dream score a realistic goal for me?

Thank you

Yes, but it will take time. 4-6 hours may be a lot and you may burn out. Do an amount that you will be able to do consistently. Consistency > Intensity for any skill burning exercise. You never want to put 100% full effort into anything in life unless it's actually game time. That's a recipe for burnout. You want to do the most you can do 6 days a week. Focus on individual question types. In fact, I'd start with becoming an expert in formal logic and main conclusion questions before worrying about any other question type. These are two foundational sills that LSAC tests again and agikain, and if you are great at both it becomes difficult not to break a 160. From there, begin learning each type of game and LR question individually.


9

thanks !! if i am able to 6 hrs a day(let's see lol) how many months do you think it would take to do this ..( to PT 174) ?

AJordan

Bronze
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby AJordan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:21 am

aniston958 wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:
nicole1994 wrote:Hi all,

I know my question "what will it take " is vague..but by that I really mean to ask:

1) how long might this take. Diagnostic is 141... I will be going to school 15 hrs and and am not looking for job or internship on the side just so I can kill this test hopefully , which gives me anywhere from 4- 6 hrs each day to study for lsat and 5-7 hrs on wknds. I feel like it will take me like 9 months of prep minimum based on my diagnostic and if I study for minimum 5 hrs each day

2) is aiming to PT 174 plus consistently in order to max my chances of getting dream score a realistic goal for me?

Thank you

Yes, but it will take time. 4-6 hours may be a lot and you may burn out. Do an amount that you will be able to do consistently. Consistency > Intensity for any skill burning exercise. You never want to put 100% full effort into anything in life unless it's actually game time. That's a recipe for burnout. You want to do the most you can do 6 days a week. Focus on individual question types. In fact, I'd start with becoming an expert in formal logic and main conclusion questions before worrying about any other question type. These are two foundational sills that LSAC tests again and agikain, and if you are great at both it becomes difficult not to break a 160. From there, begin learning each type of game and LR question individually.


9

thanks !! if i am able to 6 hrs a day(let's see lol) how many months do you think it would take to do this ..( to PT 174) ?


It takes as long as it takes. For me it took 4 solid months of about an hour a day. Most people will never get there. Don’t put time limits on yourself. If it was easily replicatable to get into the top 1% of lsat scores there wouldn’t be any of this discussion. Just study well and get better.

User avatar
UBETutoring

Bronze
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby UBETutoring » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 pm

aniston958 wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:
nicole1994 wrote:Hi all,

I know my question "what will it take " is vague..but by that I really mean to ask:

1) how long might this take. Diagnostic is 141... I will be going to school 15 hrs and and am not looking for job or internship on the side just so I can kill this test hopefully , which gives me anywhere from 4- 6 hrs each day to study for lsat and 5-7 hrs on wknds. I feel like it will take me like 9 months of prep minimum based on my diagnostic and if I study for minimum 5 hrs each day

2) is aiming to PT 174 plus consistently in order to max my chances of getting dream score a realistic goal for me?

Thank you

Yes, but it will take time. 4-6 hours may be a lot and you may burn out. Do an amount that you will be able to do consistently. Consistency > Intensity for any skill burning exercise. You never want to put 100% full effort into anything in life unless it's actually game time. That's a recipe for burnout. You want to do the most you can do 6 days a week. Focus on individual question types. In fact, I'd start with becoming an expert in formal logic and main conclusion questions before worrying about any other question type. These are two foundational sills that LSAC tests again and agikain, and if you are great at both it becomes difficult not to break a 160. From there, begin learning each type of game and LR question individually.


9

thanks !! if i am able to 6 hrs a day(let's see lol) how many months do you think it would take to do this ..( to PT 174) ?

IDK. If I buckle down and workout for 27 hours a day for 6 months, will I get jacked? Probably but I could also just workout for a reasonable amount of time, and see how long it takes. I can tell you the first step to go from a 141 to a 173 is to get a 142, and then a 143. Don't ask, just do.

Bestes

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:15 pm

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby Bestes » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:21 pm

I went from a 163 practice test to a 172 LSAT. It took me about 6 weeks of taking practice tests and working to understand why I missed questions working about 3 - 4 hours/day. To be perfectly honest I don't know if a 30 point score increase is something you should plan on without divine intervention. I'm sure it happens but this is a jump from maybe 40th percentile to 99.X percentile

gaddockteeg

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby gaddockteeg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm

I went from 149 to 170 but it took 6 months. I studied 6 hours a day, 7 days a week. I was PTing like 173-177 consistently though.

dassale1

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby dassale1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:I went from 149 to 170 but it took 6 months. I studied 6 hours a day, 7 days a week. I was PTing like 173-177 consistently though.


How did you do it? How was your study plan please?

OnThePrecipice

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:12 am

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby OnThePrecipice » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:05 pm

dassale1 wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:I went from 149 to 170 but it took 6 months. I studied 6 hours a day, 7 days a week. I was PTing like 173-177 consistently though.


How did you do it? How was your study plan please?


I second this question. Thanks in advance!

gaddockteeg

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby gaddockteeg » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:56 pm

OnThePrecipice wrote:
dassale1 wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:I went from 149 to 170 but it took 6 months. I studied 6 hours a day, 7 days a week. I was PTing like 173-177 consistently though.


How did you do it? How was your study plan please?


I second this question. Thanks in advance!


No real study plan. I took a 3 month class (testmasters) but I wasn't ready after finishing it so I kept studying for another 3 months. Basically just repeatedly took practice exams and reviewed my answers. I took every single LSAT exam ever released at least once and most of them I took twice because I ran out of study material.

mcat4life87

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:09 pm

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby mcat4life87 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:23 am

nicole1994 wrote:Hi all,

I know my question "what will it take " is vague..but by that I really mean to ask:

1) how long might this take. Diagnostic is 141... I will be going to school 15 hrs and and am not looking for job or internship on the side just so I can kill this test hopefully , which gives me anywhere from 4- 6 hrs each day to study for lsat and 5-7 hrs on wknds. I feel like it will take me like 9 months of prep minimum based on my diagnostic and if I study for minimum 5 hrs each day

2) is aiming to PT 174 plus consistently in order to max my chances of getting dream score a realistic goal for me?

Thank you


Plan on taking 2+ years to study. It's not as easy as you think it is. If you were starting at 160, then 2-5 months would be reasonable. If you were starting at 150, then 6-18 months would probably be reasonable. But if you're starting at 140, 18+ months is almost certainly what it's going to take.

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1699
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby albanach » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:10 am

mcat4life87 wrote:
Plan on taking 2+ years to study. It's not as easy as you think it is. If you were starting at 160, then 2-5 months would be reasonable. If you were starting at 150, then 6-18 months would probably be reasonable. But if you're starting at 140, 18+ months is almost certainly what it's going to take.


While I think these guestimates might not be far off, I think op would benefit from studying for a month and assessing progress. Can they get into the 160s in a month? Then, maybe, they can make the step up to the 170s more quickly.

Nonetheless, folk who have done this and scored in the 170s know and understand that there's an element of luck or at least good fortune involved. One or two unusual questions on the day could undo everything.

If you're looking for a score in the 170s, you need to be practicing regularly and consistently scoring in the 170s on PT's taken under test conditions.

AJordan

Bronze
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: I would like to score 173 plus..what will it take?

Postby AJordan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am

albanach wrote:
mcat4life87 wrote:
Plan on taking 2+ years to study. It's not as easy as you think it is. If you were starting at 160, then 2-5 months would be reasonable. If you were starting at 150, then 6-18 months would probably be reasonable. But if you're starting at 140, 18+ months is almost certainly what it's going to take.


While I think these guestimates might not be far off, I think op would benefit from studying for a month and assessing progress. Can they get into the 160s in a month? Then, maybe, they can make the step up to the 170s more quickly.

Nonetheless, folk who have done this and scored in the 170s know and understand that there's an element of luck or at least good fortune involved. One or two unusual questions on the day could undo everything.

If you're looking for a score in the 170s, you need to be practicing regularly and consistently scoring in the 170s on PT's taken under test conditions.


Want to quote and respond because I also feel like the luck aspect is underappreciated. Even those with the resources of time, energy, and skill could still fail to get to 173 several times over. It's not a matter of "once I get to 173 on my practice tests I will go score a 173". That level is so bunched vis-a-vis the amount of correct answer choices that one or two stupid mistakes coupled with a few odd questions will very likely fall under the goal. In fact, I never tell my students to set a point goal to which they're achieving. Obviously they can maintain one, but it just becomes too defeating when that first plateau hits. Depending on where you start you will likely hit several plateaus. The only answer is, then, if you can get over the hump in each instance. The moment you start to tell yourself that your process of learning is a failure against your goal that creates another significant barrier to progress. So, don't do that. Just get a little better each day. Make sure you're not going through the motions. Learn something.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 10 guests