Prepare/Take LSAT before Gap Years Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NGonzalez

New

Prepare/Take LSAT before Gap Years

Post by NGonzalez » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Hello,

I am starting my last semester of undergrad at the end of this month. I am planning to take the March 2019 LSAT now I can have my score before taking my 1-3 year break to work. I would like to have my LSAT score before graduating because I don't think I will have as much time to study while working. Also, next semester I am taking a light course load. Any feedback on this plan would be very appreciated!

QContinuum

Re: Prepare/Take LSAT before Gap Years

Post by QContinuum » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm

Sure, there's no downside to taking the LSAT earlier rather than later. It'll give you ample time to retake should that be warranted. So long as your score is still within the validity period when you apply (5 years, I believe, though you should double-check), law schools won't care whether you took the LSAT the year of your application or several years earlier.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: Prepare/Take LSAT before Gap Years

Post by LSATWiz.com » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:53 pm

I will add that in my decade of experience teaching the LSAT, I can say with complete confidence that consistent moderate study over a long period > intensive study over a short period. Unlike college, the LSAT does not test your ability to regurgitate memorized information, but your ability to think analytically in a time efficient manner. This is a skill much like doing a yoga pose or running a marathon so it takes time to develop. I don't think there's nothing wrong with studying while working so long as you're consistently doing 1 hour a day. Over 1 or 2 years you should be able to improve your diag 20-30 points. People do artificially poorly when they only give themselves a month or two to study and set out aspiring to do 8 hours a day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”