How much can I improve LSAT when I guessed on all logic games the first time? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Embrooketurner

New

How much can I improve LSAT when I guessed on all logic games the first time?

Post by Embrooketurner » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:31 pm

I am going to take the LSAT again in January. To be honest, I really just winged the logic games the first time I took the test. I found them to be most difficult and didn't spend the time studying for them that I should have. I am really trying to nail it down these last six weeks and am really just looking for some reassurance or other's experiences with understanding logic games....hopefully making a very positive impact on their overall score. I made a 151 on the first test but that was with no studying whatsoever. Life got in the way and I really should've cancelled the test but just took my best shot without any preparation. I know this question is annoying.

Thanks for any additional insight as I round out this last 40 days of test prep!

Npret

Gold

Re: How much can I improve LSAT when I guessed on all logic games the first time?

Post by Npret » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Embrooketurner wrote:I am going to take the LSAT again in January. To be honest, I really just winged the logic games the first time I took the test. I found them to be most difficult and didn't spend the time studying for them that I should have. I am really trying to nail it down these last six weeks and am really just looking for some reassurance or other's experiences with understanding logic games....hopefully making a very positive impact on their overall score. I made a 151 on the first test but that was with no studying whatsoever. Life got in the way and I really should've cancelled the test but just took my best shot without any preparation. I know this question is annoying.

Thanks for any additional insight as I round out this last 40 days of test prep!
Your question isn’t annoying. That’s why the forum exists.

The good news is that logic games are learnable. Many people end up going -0 or -1 if they study correctly.

I’m not an expert on learning games but there are guides here and plenty of other posters excel at LSAT prep.

My biggest General tips for studying:
Learn the question types cold
Do blind review of your practice tests- really try to figure out why you got a question wrong. Then make a note of it so you don’t repeat the mistake
Take honest timed tests after you’ve semi-mastered untimed. Taking timed tests doesn’t help you if you aren’t prepared or don’t finish.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: How much can I improve LSAT when I guessed on all logic games the first time?

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:21 pm

Npret wrote:
Embrooketurner wrote:I am going to take the LSAT again in January. To be honest, I really just winged the logic games the first time I took the test. I found them to be most difficult and didn't spend the time studying for them that I should have. I am really trying to nail it down these last six weeks and am really just looking for some reassurance or other's experiences with understanding logic games....hopefully making a very positive impact on their overall score. I made a 151 on the first test but that was with no studying whatsoever. Life got in the way and I really should've cancelled the test but just took my best shot without any preparation. I know this question is annoying.

The good news is that logic games are learnable. Many people end up going -0 or -1 if they study correctly.

I’m not an expert on learning games but there are guides here and plenty of other posters excel at LSAT prep.

Do blind review of your practice tests- really try to figure out why you got a question wrong. Then make a note of it so you don’t repeat the mistake
Take honest timed tests after you’ve semi-mastered untimed. Taking timed tests doesn’t help you if you aren’t prepared or don’t finish.
I get a lot of calls (about 20%) from people in the 130s or 140s who are looking to break a 160 and feel that if they only got logic games, they'd be able to make the improvement they need. The truth is that in the lower ranges, every 2 add'l questions answered correctly is only worth a point. If you just straight guessed on all the games, and then got a perfect games score in 5 weeks (which is doable), you'd go from a 151 to a 161. For the most part, however, it's rare that someone will only struggle with games.

Embrooketurner

New

Post by Embrooketurner » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:11 pm

UBETutoring wrote:
Npret wrote:

I get a lot of calls (about 20%) from people in the 130s or 140s who are looking to break a 160 and feel that if they only got logic games, they'd be able to make the improvement they need. The truth is that in the lower ranges, every 2 add'l questions answered correctly is only worth a point. If you just straight guessed on all the games, and then got a perfect games score in 5 weeks (which is doable), you'd go from a 151 to a 161. For the most part, however, it's rare that someone will only struggle with games.
Yeah, I'm not saying I only struggled with it. However, I truly straight up guessed on all but maybe three total questions, whereas on the other sections I generally had some logic to my answer choice. I didn't end up with very much studying under my belt for any of it, quite honestly, so I will hopefully make some minor improvements elsewhere. It's just that my greatest gain would likely be in logic games, if I can ever wrap my head around them. I find them to be the most difficult portion of the test. Thanks to both of you for some feedback. I guess I should get to studying rather than reading everything I can find on forums.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:12 pm

Embrooketurner wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:
Npret wrote:

Yeah, I'm not saying I only struggled with it. However, I truly straight up guessed on all but maybe three total questions, whereas on the other sections I generally had some logic to my answer choice. I didn't end up with very much studying under my belt for any of it, quite honestly, so I will hopefully make some minor improvements elsewhere. It's just that my greatest gain would likely be in logic games, if I can ever wrap my head around them. I find them to be the most difficult portion of the test. Thanks to both of you for some feedback. I guess I should get to studying rather than reading everything I can find on forums.
I know the November test had 4 games that involved sequencing so just learn those. I'd read the LG bible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Embrooketurner wrote:I am going to take the LSAT again in January. To be honest, I really just winged the logic games the first time I took the test.
Why not wait a cycle, study properly (time != Quality) and take the LSAT in the fall, applying next cycle?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:22 am

albanach wrote:
Embrooketurner wrote:I am going to take the LSAT again in January. To be honest, I really just winged the logic games the first time I took the test.
Why not wait a cycle, study properly (time != Quality) and take the LSAT in the fall, applying next cycle?
OP may have a rare disease that can only be cured by starting law school next year. It would be silly to worry too much about long term career prospects when we're speaking about a life or death situation.

Embrooketurner

New

Post by Embrooketurner » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:45 pm

UBETutoring wrote:
albanach wrote:
OP may have a rare disease that can only be cured by starting law school next year. It would be silly to worry too much about long term career prospects when we're speaking about a life or death situation.
I don't have a rare disease. I just think that paying $125 to reschedule is silly when it's only another sixty bucks to schedule a new test. I feel that I may as well study hard and see what I can pull off, then retake later. Do you disagree?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Embrooketurner wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:
albanach wrote:
I don't have a rare disease. I just think that paying $125 to reschedule is silly when it's only another sixty bucks to schedule a new test. I feel that I may as well study hard and see what I can pull off, then retake later. Do you disagree?
While schools do take the highest score, at the margins having multiple scores still counts against you. Unless you are regularly taking PTs and scoring -0 on LG, then you're likely to underperform on test day. I'd wait and take the test when you're PTs say you're ready.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”