How to Improve on RC?! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Seamus5

New

How to Improve on RC?!

Post by Seamus5 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Hello,

I have a 165 LSAT score (have taken twice, in June+Nov.) and a 3.9+ GPA. I am starting to study again for a third take and really could use some pointers on improving RC.

I went -8 on RC (-0 on LG, -2 on LR, and -7 on the other LR section). I've done VIEWSTAMP with Powerscore and 7Sage's Memory method. What really gets me is the Science Passage. Any advice on how to improve on it? Any Prep materials I should be looking at besides 7Sage and Powerscore? Even if I can get my RC down to -4, I'll get a 169, which is a big difference from a 165.

Thank you!

albanach

Gold

Re: How to Improve on RC?!

Post by albanach » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Seamus5 wrote:Hello,

I have a 165 LSAT score (have taken twice, in June+Nov.) and a 3.9+ GPA. I am starting to study again for a third take and really could use some pointers on improving RC.

I went -8 on RC (-0 on LG, -2 on LR, and -7 on the other LR section). I've done VIEWSTAMP with Powerscore and 7Sage's Memory method. What really gets me is the Science Passage. Any advice on how to improve on it? Any Prep materials I should be looking at besides 7Sage and Powerscore? Even if I can get my RC down to -4, I'll get a 169, which is a big difference from a 165.

Thank you!
Don't think of the science passage as being about science, because you're not being tested on that.

Why do you think you're losing points, particularly on that passage? The general advice for RC is just to read more, similar, material. Get really familiar with reading and analyzing this sort of stuff.

One thing I used (and bear in mind this was almost a decade ago - there might be better materials today) was a book with 101 MCAT verbal reasoning test passages. These might be helpful and they don't eat up potential LSAT tests. I seem to recall the passages weren't quite as long, but I think that would be a reasonable place to start.

Other than that, the general advice holds. Work on accuracy first, then speed. If you can't get accurate answers in the 35 minutes, slow down and work on that. Then speed up.

PantaRhei

New

Re: How to Improve on RC?!

Post by PantaRhei » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:55 pm

I agree 100% with the post above, but I would also recommend using the Manhattan Prep book for RC. It really fleshes out the concept albanach said: "Don't think of the science passage as being about science, because you're not being tested on that."

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”