How do you drill? Print/erase? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

How do you drill? Print/erase?

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi all,

This may be a silly question, but when people are referring to drilling, are they reusing sheets and erasing? I see a lot of posts explain how when they come across LG they are shaky on, they place it in a pile to do at a later time. Are you simply erasing or covering up your answers? Just curious. I am using powerscore and had always assumed I'd have to erase as I don't think they have any "printable" material. I know I *could* scan my books, but there are copyright issues.

As always, thanks for reading and responding.

QContinuum

Re: How do you drill? Print/erase?

Post by QContinuum » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:33 pm

Back in the day, when I first started prepping, I'd write my answers on a piece of scratch paper. I'd write out in advance:

etc.

And as I went along, I'd just write my answer on the piece of scratch paper. I know this doesn't entirely mimic the actual test-taking experience, but I figured I had enough practice/muscle memory bubbling in Scantrons for my college exams. Plus my main initial focus was on practicing getting the games right. I practiced speed too, but I wasn't really concerned with squeezing every last second out.

As it got closer to exam time, once I had a pretty good grasp of technique, I started trying to get myself used to maxing out on speed. So I'd circle answers directly in LSAC's PrepTest booklets. I bought a ton of PrepTests so I never ran out of new games to do.

davidspumpkins

New

Post by davidspumpkins » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:43 am

I usually re-print. I find having some inferences/the answers circled on the sheets prevents me from thinking through things on my own

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks all! One more questions slightly off topic. How much do you emphasize drilling? I just saved up enough for a powerscore tutor who recommended that I don't do much drilling. He explained that people will always do better on drilling since it is not stimulating the endurance required from an actual LSAT and the drain of going through multiple sections. He recommended only doing it when you have a particular weakness for certain LR or LG problems. Can I get your guys' thoughts?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:58 pm

I did not do much "whole PT" drilling, because I had little difficulty with LR/RC. I also knew I did not have issues with stamina. Further, I just have difficulty focusing intensely for hours on end under practice conditions, because I know the stakes aren't real and so I lose focus.

I did have major issues with LG, so, after I worked on enough LG problems under untimed conditions to get a grasp on the technique, I did LOTS and lots of timed LG sections to get my speed/accuracy up. But note: I started out doing untimed LG problems. Gotta learn to walk before you can run. Drilling's really the last phase of test prep, IMO, when speed's the only remaining factor to be improved.

So I think it depends on you. If you know/fear you have stamina issues, then do "whole PT" drilling. Otherwise, I don't think it's necessary - you can just do timed drills for whichever sections you're weak in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:06 pm

QContinuum wrote:I did not do much "whole PT" drilling, because I had little difficulty with LR/RC. I also knew I did not have issues with stamina. Further, I just have difficulty focusing intensely for hours on end under practice conditions, because I know the stakes aren't real and so I lose focus.

I did have major issues with LG, so, after I worked on enough LG problems under untimed conditions to get a grasp on the technique, I did LOTS and lots of timed LG sections to get my speed/accuracy up. But note: I started out doing untimed LG problems. Gotta learn to walk before you can run. Drilling's really the last phase of test prep, IMO, when speed's the only remaining factor to be improved.

So I think it depends on you. If you know/fear you have stamina issues, then do "whole PT" drilling. Otherwise, I don't think it's necessary - you can just do timed drills for whichever sections you're weak in.
You're the best. Thanks for always giving such great, quick, thorough responses. I love this website.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Happy to help & best of luck!

davidspumpkins

New

Post by davidspumpkins » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:24 pm

As a sidenote, I don't think there's a big difference between what QContinuum is posting and what your tutor is telling you. Your tutor is saying to not drill individual game/LR types unless you have a weakness in the area. This doesn't mean, however, that you shouldn't drill practice tests, which mix game/LR types. Obviously you need to do a bit of both. There's no magic formula here.

As you go through full sections, you'll notice "Oh, I'm not good at linear games." After you realize that, you can go and do like a 100 linear games and eliminate that weakness. Next test you take, you'll notice, "Hey, I'm not so good at match the flaw questions." Go and do like 50 of those and then take another section. Rinse and repeat.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:44 pm

davidspumpkins wrote:As a sidenote, I don't think there's a big difference between what QContinuum is posting and what your tutor is telling you. Your tutor is saying to not drill individual game/LR types unless you have a weakness in the area. This doesn't mean, however, that you shouldn't drill practice tests, which mix game/LR types. Obviously you need to do a bit of both. There's no magic formula here.

As you go through full sections, you'll notice "Oh, I'm not good at linear games." After you realize that, you can go and do like a 100 linear games and eliminate that weakness. Next test you take, you'll notice, "Hey, I'm not so good at match the flaw questions." Go and do like 50 of those and then take another section. Rinse and repeat.
I'm sorry I think I may have misunderstood something. When you and Quantum mention drilling practice tests, does that mean only doing one or two time sections as opposed to the whole thing?

Thanks for responding btw!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:02 pm

taylorharris24 wrote:
davidspumpkins wrote:As a sidenote, I don't think there's a big difference between what QContinuum is posting and what your tutor is telling you. Your tutor is saying to not drill individual game/LR types unless you have a weakness in the area. This doesn't mean, however, that you shouldn't drill practice tests, which mix game/LR types. Obviously you need to do a bit of both. There's no magic formula here.

I'm sorry I think I may have misunderstood something. When you and Quantum mention drilling practice tests, does that mean only doing one or two time sections as opposed to the whole thing?

Thanks for responding btw!
I didn't do "whole PT" drilling at all. I only drilled timed LG sections. I did a couple timed diagnostic LR/RC sections, found I had no issues with them, and basically just stopped worrying about them until test day (with the occasional timed refresher just to maintain familiarity).

But most testtakers find it helpful to do "whole PT" drilling. You've taken a lot of tests in your life already - you know what you need to maximize your performance.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:51 pm

I've read a lot about how people used to be able to purchase materials in which everything was organized by question type. I've seen comments also saying that a lot of this material is no longer downloadable due to copy right issues. If they are still available, can someone shoot me a link or referral?

Thanks

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 am

Leave the tutor and get a 7Sage package.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:23 pm

239840 wrote:Leave the tutor and get a 7Sage package.
To be honest this is the last thing I'll do... I've found them to be insanely helpful. It's disheartening because of how expensive they are, but they really do make a tangible difference.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:33 am

taylorharris24 wrote:
To be honest this is the last thing I'll do... I've found them to be insanely helpful. It's disheartening because of how expensive they are, but they really do make a tangible difference.
Suit yourself, then. If you don't mind spending money on things you likely don't need at this stage of your LSAT prep, that's your call. Most people who pay for tutors are stuck at a score that's already pretty good (let's say 165+), have a strong grasp of the fundamentals, good overall skill-sets, and just are looking to get those last 3-4 points since improvement becomes harder once you're in the 90th+ percentile. Having that extra set of eyes looking over things can help once you're at that stage. Perhaps your satisfaction with that person is just due to your lack of experience with other LSAT instructors. The advice about it being bad to drill by type (which you can do timed anyway) is bad and at odds with what most top scorers on this forum as well as elsewhere say. Mike Kim, one of the best LSAT instructors around, highly recommends drilling by type for LR and LG. Every other instructor I'm aware of does too. It is one of the best ways to build up a solid skill-set in LR and LG, as you can focus on applying the right processes and strategies to that exact type of problem and ingrain that as a habit. When you do timed sections you are seeing problems of different types and will default to the habits you've already developed for different problem types. 7Sage has incredibly good reviews and all of the materials you would need to be able to drill by type in every section as much as you need (as long as you have a printer with which to print off their materials). However, they do have their own curriculum, so it would take you some time to work through it. Good luck to you either way, but I very strongly recommend 7Sage.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:56 am

239840 wrote:
taylorharris24 wrote:
Suit yourself, then. If you don't mind spending money on things you likely don't need at this stage of your LSAT prep, that's your call. Most people who pay for tutors are stuck at a score that's already pretty good (let's say 165+), have a strong grasp of the fundamentals, good overall skill-sets, and just are looking to get those last 3-4 points since improvement becomes harder once you're in the 90th+ percentile. Having that extra set of eyes looking over things can help once you're at that stage. Perhaps your satisfaction with that person is just due to your lack of experience with other LSAT instructors. The advice about it being bad to drill by type (which you can do timed anyway) is bad and at odds with what most top scorers on this forum as well as elsewhere say. Mike Kim, one of the best LSAT instructors around, highly recommends drilling by type for LR and LG. Every other instructor I'm aware of does too. It is one of the best ways to build up a solid skill-set in LR and LG, as you can focus on applying the right processes and strategies to that exact type of problem and ingrain that as a habit. When you do timed sections you are seeing problems of different types and will default to the habits you've already developed for different problem types. 7Sage has incredibly good reviews and all of the materials you would need to be able to drill by type in every section as much as you need (as long as you have a printer with which to print off their materials). However, they do have their own curriculum, so it would take you some time to work through it. Good luck to you either way, but I very strongly recommend 7Sage.
I honestly just don't take this advice seriously... Too many people give weight to anonymous posters on this website. My tutor is with Powerscore and told me that advice based on Powerscore's recommendation. I appreciate you suggesting 7Sage but I don't think things are as certain as you would like to believe. It just seems fairly obvious to me that someone will do better when dealing with a professional service who's job is to not only tutor kids, but teach multiple classes at the same time. Again.. you may be right.. but there is no reason to place faith in an anonymous poster on this when I can guarantee my tutor is providing results. He not only helps with material, understanding and timing, but he is a lawyer himself and offers advice on admissions, career pathways and law school expertise. I really find him invaluable and highly recommend tutors. Even if he might be a diamond in the rough. I don't trust him just because he scored 173, but because he has been teaching this stuff for years to hundreds, if not thousands of kids. He has his own experience plus all of theirs to go off of.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not trying to be rude. I just really like to stick up for my tutor if you haven't noticed lol. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and I will definitely check out 7sage. Apologies if I am being defensive.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Please Delete

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:11 pm

This thread has gotten off topic.. Mods please delete.

Thank you

QContinuum

Re: Please Delete

Post by QContinuum » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:14 pm

taylorharris24 wrote:This thread has gotten off topic.. Mods please delete.

Thank you
Hopefully the content will still be helpful to others, so I'll lock it instead of deleting it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”