How To Best Study for the Logic Games Section? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
neeks8282

New

How To Best Study for the Logic Games Section?

Post by neeks8282 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:11 pm

So I just started seriously studying for the LSAT and logic games is by far my worst section. I've gone through the Bible and learned how to diagram each type of game. I'm now going through a section a night drilling, blind reviewing, and then redoing each game to make sure I get it.

My question is, is this a good strategy? Sometimes I feel like I'm bumbling through and just moving from game to game but not maintaining a solid foundation in the type of game I just did before a different type of game hits me right after it. I know some people suggest attacking the logic game section by question type, that is, going through and drilling each type of game separately until they've mastered all of them. Does anyone have any insight into whether this would be more helpful than just jumping from game to game on each preptest as they come up randomly?

Evilknightz

New

Re: How To Best Study for the Logic Games Section?

Post by Evilknightz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:30 pm

7sage Foolproof Method every LSAT logic game ever is what I'm doing. Obviously you don't necessarily need to do all of them, but you certainly see improvement doing such a immense number. I feel like doing different types of games seperately is probably a good idea. It nails down the common strategies and helps reinforce them.

3pianists

Bronze

Post by 3pianists » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:57 pm

I think it depends on your strategy. Mine involved solving only three games, so I picked the kinds of games I was best at and worked most on those because I could choose to work on them and skip the others. Assuming you're taking whatever comes your way on the LSAT, I think it's just personal preference on whether to focus on one kind of game at a time. I likely would, if I were doing it again--but making sure to go back and review ones I've already worked on.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:08 pm

There are multiple ways of going about it, but I generally recommend mastering formal logic and starting with In/Out or Selection Games. Although these games are fairly uncommon nowadays, they are the best way of testing your understanding and ability to use formal logic, which will prove helpful on not only other logic game types, but on the logical reasoning section as well (and even on reading comprehension due to LSAC's tendency to choose passages that incorporate cause and effect reasoning).

From there, I'm all about mastering the game types individually - next I'd jump into sequencing because it is the most common game type and about 70% of logic games are either straight sequencing or involve a sequencing component. After that, I'd move onto grouping games - both distribution and matching before finally segueing into games that incorporate 2 or more above.

Outside of practice tests, I'd hold off on full sections until you've uncovered every game and I'd seek to purchase a book that divides the section into individual game types and ideally one that has answer explanations as well.

Shredzeppelin240

Bronze

Post by Shredzeppelin240 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Is there a resource where you can buy all the logic games? Or do you just purchase every single test?

Thx!

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:56 pm

taylorharris24 wrote:Is there a resource where you can buy all the logic games? Or do you just purchase every single test?

Thx!
You can google logic games by type: https://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Logic-Games ... CR3CZZRY4E.

Ideally, you want a book that contains answer explanations, which many Cambridge materials do not. Further, I wouldn't recommend paying that much for them. Many LSAT courses include books that break the test down by question type with answer explanations. However, they may have a policy against students selling/buying such books, and I do not endorse violating any such policy.

If you do already have the test preps 1-81, there are LSAT blogs that categorize games by type. I would recommend using prep tests 1-49 strictly for going game type by game type, and save 50-81 for full tests. This is, in my opinion, the best way to study - using 1-49 for their parts and using 51-85 in their entirety but this assumes you are planning to study for the test in the best and most intensive way possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”