How High our score on the Gre should be Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
FayRays

New

How High our score on the Gre should be

Post by FayRays » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:10 pm

Hey guys....

I just wonder, how high should we score at the GRE to look competitive?

I do know there are only few schools who accept the GRE.

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

lawschool99

New

Re: How High our score on the Gre should be

Post by lawschool99 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 pm

A safe benchmark would be to compare percentiles for LSAT scores vs GRE scores.

For example, If a school's median LSAT is at 168, then compare that percentile to a score on the GRE. If you're aiming for top schools, I would assume breaking 165 for both sections would be a "competitive" score.

I would assume though, if your score drops a bit on one section, you can recover by scoring better on the other section (either quant or verbal). People initially thought law schools may place more importance on verbal score but it looks like the quant section will also be equally if not more important.

FayRays

New

Post by FayRays » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 pm

lawschool99 wrote:A safe benchmark would be to compare percentiles for LSAT scores vs GRE scores.

For example, If a school's median LSAT is at 168, then compare that percentile to a score on the GRE. If you're aiming for top schools, I would assume breaking 165 for both sections would be a "competitive" score.

I would assume though, if your score drops a bit on one section, you can recover by scoring better on the other section (either quant or verbal). People initially thought law schools may place more importance on verbal score but it looks like the quant section will also be equally if not more important.
Thanks for your reply.

It's reassuring for me to know that they care equally about the quant and verbal, as I am better at the quant being a math major lol, but it's still hard.

Ok, when do you think it's considered too late to apply this cycle, by mid-October? as I am thinking on taking the Gre late Sep.

lawschool99

New

Post by lawschool99 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:42 am

FayRays wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

It's reassuring for me to know that they care equally about the quant and verbal, as I am better at the quant being a math major lol, but it's still hard.

Ok, when do you think it's considered too late to apply this cycle, by mid-October? as I am thinking on taking the Gre late Sep.
There's not enough data to say for sure, but it does look like both quant/verbal will be considered together. One of my majors was also computer science, so quant is more comfortable for me as well.

I've also seen some admits on TLS whose scores were actually <165, so I may not be fully accurate in saying that 165 is the benchmark for being "competitive". But I believe that higher the score, the better of course.

Applying by October is not that late at all. I am also considering retaking the GRE for a better score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”