From 134 hit 160. Any Suggestions on how to Keep Improving? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TLou21

New

From 134 hit 160. Any Suggestions on how to Keep Improving?

Post by TLou21 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Hey peeps,

I would appreciate some encouragement/advice on improving my LSAT score.

On my diagnostic about a year a half ago (maybe two?) I scored 134 and I was crazy sad/angry with my score so I put it to the side. During college, I was so obsessed with my GPA that I did not study for the exam at all. So I picked up studying heavily after graduating last year and I hired a tutor who I kept for about four months. He taught me a lot but he became too expensive so I had to fire him and amp up my self studying. I've been studying on my lunch at work and 4-5 hours after work every day, at least 8 hours a day on the weekends and taking a weekly PT.

I worked my score up to 160 for the first time last week and I was pretty happy cause I was sick of seeing 147-157s. It was PT 3 so it might not be indicative of my skill entirely but I was proud. I want to hit min 170. I have a 3.92 GPA and much work ethic so I believe I can make it but I have no idea how long it will take me honestly.

LGs I got them down to (-2) - (-4) on hard ones but LR and RC are killing me, especially LR. Any thoughts on getting up to 170? Anyone share the same experience?

I wish I could be one of those who scored 170 after two weeks of studying. Must be a good life...lol. Many thanks in advance!!

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor

New

Re: From 134 hit 160. Any Suggestions on how to Keep Improving?

Post by LSAT_Ninja_Tutor » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Bravo on your progress! I get excited when I see improvement like this. Way to go on your 160! Do not downplay it because it was PT 3. Your performance on PT 3 is just as indicative of your ability as your performance on PT 80. The LSAT is very good at testing what it is designed to test, so all PTs are relevant. What was the section breakdown for how many you missed on your PT 3?

P.S. You will see a lot of posts about successes. People like to share those more than something they perceive as failure. So the number of those posts are inflated in comparison to reality.

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor

New

Post by LSAT_Ninja_Tutor » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Bravo on your progress! I get excited when I see improvement like this. Way to go on your 160! Do not downplay it because it was PT 3. Your performance on PT 3 is just as indicative of your ability as your performance on PT 80. The LSAT is very good at testing what it is designed to test, so all PTs are relevant. What was the section breakdown for how many you missed on your PT 3?

P.S. You will see a lot of posts about successes. People like to share those more than something they perceive as failure. So the number of those posts are inflated in comparison to reality.

t14orbust22

New

Post by t14orbust22 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:27 am

Keep practicing. I went from 145 to 161 so I know it's a struggle, I am not good on timed tests like the LSAT as I am a slower/more methodical thinker. For me part of it was psychological/confidence - remember when you choose a wrong answer you fail to do two things right 1) Select the correct answer and 2) eliminate the incorrect answers. That helped me a lot - on some problems it is far easier to eliminate the wrong answers than to pick out the right one.

TLou21

New

Post by TLou21 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:53 am

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor wrote:Bravo on your progress! I get excited when I see improvement like this. Way to go on your 160! Do not downplay it because it was PT 3. Your performance on PT 3 is just as indicative of your ability as your performance on PT 80. The LSAT is very good at testing what it is designed to test, so all PTs are relevant. What was the section breakdown for how many you missed on your PT 3?

LSAT_Ninja_Tutor, sorry for the late reply but thank you so much for your reply! It has definitely been a struggle and I'm trying to embrace the exam more like a game and have fun with it than dread my low scores although it is difficult sometimes. There are so many posts about successes, especially in the thread of how to get a 160+, it's amazing. I defs need to get up there cause six figure debt is insane.

It was PT 2 actually. The breakdown was RC: -5, LR: -9, LG: -5, and LR: -7.

The idea though that just because I guessed on some was the reason that helped me get the 160 certainly means I need improvement but any advice will be helpful. I find myself eliminating three answers and pondering about the remaining two a lot. For RC, I have a tough time getting to the fourth passage and answering timely.

TLou21

New

Post by TLou21 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:57 am

t14orbust22 wrote:Keep practicing. I went from 145 to 161 so I know it's a struggle, I am not good on timed tests like the LSAT as I am a slower/more methodical thinker. For me part of it was psychological/confidence - remember when you choose a wrong answer you fail to do two things right 1) Select the correct answer and 2) eliminate the incorrect answers. That helped me a lot - on some problems it is far easier to eliminate the wrong answers than to pick out the right one.

t14orbust22, thanks a lot for the reply. A struggle it certainly is. I know people who are hitting 170+ and it motivates me so much.

I agree with your point though. Process of elimination is often easier. But oftentimes I get tricked by a shell answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”