The Official November 2018 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
tlsadmin2

The Official November 2018 LSAT Study Group

Post by tlsadmin2 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 pm

November 2018 LSAT Test Dates (all 8:30 AM)

Saturday, November 17, 2018
Monday, November 19, 2018 (Saturday Sabbath Observers)
Source

You can register now by going here.

Find a study partner in this thread. Good luck on the test!

Here are some study tips: TLS LSAT Guides, Advice, and Tools

CR7fanboy

New

Re: The Official November 2018 LSAT Study Group

Post by CR7fanboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:46 pm

Hey. I’m an international who is taking the exam on 14th October. Let me know if anyone wants to be a study partner for it, instead of the November one. Thanks!

Seanathon

New

Post by Seanathon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 pm

Hey guys! Wondering if anyone is looking into any Khan Academy prep materials (they're free online). I've been using the PowerScore bibles so far and they've been really helpful. I've also been doing Kaplan's free online bootcamp thing this week and it was pretty cool. So, I'm gonna take Khan's diagnostic tomorrow and see if their online materials might be good for supplementing the bibles. Good luck, everyone!

KebSparkles

New

Post by KebSparkles » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 pm

I'm so exited we finally have a November forum!
As for studying, I have the Powerscore bibles, and I am currently going through them. Although, I bought the RC one too, but later found that it may not be the best, so I got Master the LSAT for that section.
As for Khan Academy, I don't at all like their practice section, as I like to work and read questions on actual paper, but I have found their lessons, particularly their videos nice for explanations!
I'd love a study partner too!
Good luck everyone

Ntiniak

New

Post by Ntiniak » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:15 am

Hey! I’m currently using Khan academy’s free LSAT prep and so far, I have no complaints. I’m also using PowerScore’s Logic Games Bible. I’m taking the LSAT in November’s so I’m hoping those two together should be enough to help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rocketdan97

New

Post by rocketdan97 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Khan Academy has been a six or seven out of ten for me. It does a good job of game-ifying the process, but it doesn't encourage you to review your responses or watch the videos, which is where I think a lot of the learning happens. Also 100% agree that doing LSAT stuff on a computer sucks.

JoblessAndHopeless

New

Post by JoblessAndHopeless » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Hey guys, I am going to take the November LSAT as well.

I'm mainly studying 7Sage materials for now, may order the LSAT Trainer and Powerscore Logic Games bible.
I've just started studying maybe a week and a half ago, but I am currently not working or have school, so I can devote full-time to LSAT studying from now until November. I hope this is enough.

I'm also most likely going to take a live-classroom offered by Powerscore near my city, however it is pretty expensive. But it's live classroom (you can't beat live instruction in a classroom setting) and you get 4 actual, proctored live practice tests in exam settings on Saturdays apparently. We'll see.

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:05 pm

I did not like khan academy’s online course personally, but I do see the value in it. I did the insight lsat YouTube course and did lots of practice by question type. I much prefer preparing on paper in the same format as the exam.

KebSparkles

New

Post by KebSparkles » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:46 pm

Hey all! So, I am starting to (finally) get most of the questions right on the logic games (missing a few here and there), but overall feeling better/ good about diagraming etc. Can someone PLEASE give me advice on how to speed up? It took me 22 minutes to answer a 7-question problem!! Does any have any advice on how to answer questions more quickly!
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JoblessAndHopeless

New

Post by JoblessAndHopeless » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:42 pm

KebSparkles wrote:Hey all! So, I am starting to (finally) get most of the questions right on the logic games (missing a few here and there), but overall feeling better/ good about diagraming etc. Can someone PLEASE give me advice on how to speed up? It took me 22 minutes to answer a 7-question problem!! Does any have any advice on how to answer questions more quickly!
Thanks!
That's like me. Given enough time, I can get most of them correct. But obviously, we only get 35 minutes for the section. I'm guessing it's down to practice and more practice. Wish there was an easier way, haha.

Seanathon

New

Post by Seanathon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:53 pm

KebSparkles wrote:Hey all! So, I am starting to (finally) get most of the questions right on the logic games (missing a few here and there), but overall feeling better/ good about diagraming etc. Can someone PLEASE give me advice on how to speed up? It took me 22 minutes to answer a 7-question problem!! Does any have any advice on how to answer questions more quickly!
Thanks!
Using work from previous questions in a certain game has helped me. So if you get a "cannot be true" question and one of the answer choices is proven to be true from a prior question, say the first list question, you can quickly eliminate that answer choice. It sucks because it doesn't always yield too much info but I usually find I can eliminate at least a few answer choices that way per game.

Most things I've heard about getting purely faster with any part of the LSAT is just getting better at it and practicing as much as you can. The more you practice, the more the patterns will become second nature and you'll just naturally go faster. I find that when I try to read faster or just like rush, I do worse on the games. But I've started to slow down during practice and do more to try and recognize patterns and I've noticed I'm starting to do the games a bit faster. 7sage videos and the Logic Games Bible are great.

I know it's super frustrating with the time constraint and it seems counter-productive to not practice doing it with the time in mind, but we still have a few months to really learn the games! It's just going to take tons of practice.

JoblessAndHopeless

New

Post by JoblessAndHopeless » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Are you guys all planning to apply for Fall 2019 admission? I am and I feel this is the last legit test you can take for 2019 admission. I suppose technically the January 2019 test could be the absolute last possible option if we don't do well on the November test, but I feel January is so freaking late to take the test for the 2019 cycle.

What do you guys think? Do you guys think January test could be a fallback option for us? The thought that it's all or bust/do or die for this November test (or sit out an entire year for 2020 cycle) is pretty terrifying to me, haha.

KebSparkles

New

Post by KebSparkles » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:41 pm

JoblessAndHopeless wrote:Are you guys all planning to apply for Fall 2019 admission? I am and I feel this is the last legit test you can take for 2019 admission. I suppose technically the January 2019 test could be the absolute last possible option if we don't do well on the November test, but I feel January is so freaking late to take the test for the 2019 cycle.

What do you guys think? Do you guys think January test could be a fallback option for us? The thought that it's all or bust/do or die for this November test (or sit out an entire year for 2020 cycle) is pretty terrifying to me, haha.

I am planning to take the November LSAT, but January as a backup if I'm not hitting my target score in practice tests by then! I have a good block of time right now to study, and I am not sure I will have as much time to study within the next year or so which is why I am taking it in November. Personally, I don't plan to apply to law school for at least another year. The test is good for 5 years (and I will definitely apply within 5 years). I really just want to get my score, so I can start actually planning and knowing what schools are within reach! I want the process to be as least stressful as possible, so for me that means taking the LSAT at least one application cycle before I plan to apply!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoblessAndHopeless

New

Post by JoblessAndHopeless » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 pm

KebSparkles wrote:
JoblessAndHopeless wrote:Are you guys all planning to apply for Fall 2019 admission? I am and I feel this is the last legit test you can take for 2019 admission. I suppose technically the January 2019 test could be the absolute last possible option if we don't do well on the November test, but I feel January is so freaking late to take the test for the 2019 cycle.

I am planning to take the November LSAT, but January as a backup if I'm not hitting my target score in practice tests by then! I have a good block of time right now to study, and I am not sure I will have as much time to study within the next year or so which is why I am taking it in November. Personally, I don't plan to apply to law school for at least another year. The test is good for 5 years (and I will definitely apply within 5 years). I really just want to get my score, so I can start actually planning and knowing what schools are within reach! I want the process to be as least stressful as possible, so for me that means taking the LSAT at least one application cycle before I plan to apply!
That's a good situation to be in, I'm rather envious, haha. My personal situation (kind of hard to explain) is that I really really need to get in 2019 admissions. Hence, there's a lot of pressure for me to take it once and ace it this November. Not only that, provided I feel like I did well on the November sitting, I have to literally jump onto law school applications right away. No down time after the exam for me. :shock:

KebSparkles

New

Post by KebSparkles » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:19 pm

JoblessAndHopeless wrote:
KebSparkles wrote:

That's a good situation to be in, I'm rather envious, haha. My personal situation (kind of hard to explain) is that I really really need to get in 2019 admissions. Hence, there's a lot of pressure for me to take it once and ace it this November. :shock:
Honestly, I would aim for the September LSAT and try to do like 8 hour days of studying or something. That way you can submit your scores with your application and if you needed to retake you could do November. I know thats only like 2 months to study, but if law school is really what you want then you can totally do it!

KebSparkles

New

Post by KebSparkles » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:28 pm

KebSparkles wrote:

That's a good situation to be in, I'm rather envious, haha. My personal situation (kind of hard to explain) is that I really really need to get in 2019 admissions. Hence, there's a lot of pressure for me to take it once and ace it this November. Not only that, provided I feel like I did well on the November sitting, I have to literally jump onto law school applications right away. No down time after the exam for me. :shock:

Could you wait a year? That way you can REALLY study. Plus, people take weeks and weeks to perfect their personal statements. On top of that you have to get recommendations, do the full application etc. Applying really shouldn't be rushed, especially if you want to get into top schools and/or a good scholarship(s)! I know you really want to go to law school ASAP, but if you haven't started really yet it may be better to do what I'm doing and really take the time to do it right... Also, admissions are rolling, so the closer to September (for regular decision) you submit your application, the better your chances. Or, if theres a particular school you want to apply to (for ED), then you really need to have your application done by mid August. You're just running short on time, and I don't want that to hurt your admissions prospects!

JoblessAndHopeless

New

Post by JoblessAndHopeless » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:05 pm

KebSparkles wrote:
KebSparkles wrote:

Could you wait a year? That way you can REALLY study. Plus, people take weeks and weeks to perfect their personal statements. On top of that you have to get recommendations, do the full application etc. Applying really shouldn't be rushed, especially if you want to get into top schools and/or a good scholarship(s)! I know you really want to go to law school ASAP, but if you haven't started really yet it may be better to do what I'm doing and really take the time to do it right... Also, admissions are rolling, so the closer to September (for regular decision) you submit your application, the better your chances. Or, if theres a particular school you want to apply to (for ED), then you really need to have your application done by mid August. You're just running short on time, and I don't want that to hurt your admissions prospects!
Ideally I would wait a year. Unfortunately, that is literally the last option for me. Actually, it might not even be an option. I think I can turn things around pretty quick once I take the LSAT, so I don't think that would be a problem for me. The issue is, obviously, doing well on this exam. I'll do my best. Thanks for your input!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

4KicksnGiggles

New

Post by 4KicksnGiggles » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:14 am

Hello Everyone!

I am checking into this forum. The goal is Nov. LSAT and, if necessary, a retake in Jan. Right now, I am getting a study schedule together and waiting for my books to be delivered. I intend on trying self study to start out. However, I was entertaining an online prep course, but I wondered if it was really necessary. If I am not where I want to be by the end of August, then I can revisit my options. Advice is welcomed. Wishing everyone the best in their studies and on the test!

gavin0602

New

Post by gavin0602 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Checking in, just paid for the November LSAT. Been out of college for 5 years. So far I've gone through the 7Sage Course and currently about 1/2 way done with Powerscore Logic Games Bible. Good luck to everyone, let's keep each other accountable

JoblessAndHopeless

New

Post by JoblessAndHopeless » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:20 pm

still getting killed in logic games, guys. I can get most of them correct given enough time, but I just can't do even the simplest game under time constraints. I just start panicking, don't know what to do. :(

Seanathon

New

Post by Seanathon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:44 am

4KicksnGiggles wrote:Hello Everyone!

I am checking into this forum. The goal is Nov. LSAT and, if necessary, a retake in Jan. Right now, I am getting a study schedule together and waiting for my books to be delivered. I intend on trying self study to start out. However, I was entertaining an online prep course, but I wondered if it was really necessary. If I am not where I want to be by the end of August, then I can revisit my options. Advice is welcomed. Wishing everyone the best in their studies and on the test!
Hey! I've been lucky enough to have a good amount of free time this Summer so I've been going the self-study route using the Power Score bibles, some 7sage videos, and actual prep tests. I looked into the Khan Academy materials but haven't used them too much. I have a couple friends who both just finished up Kaplan courses. One really liked it while the other didn't feel like she got out of it what she was expecting. I think they both improved like 5 or 6 points from diagnostic. From what they told me, it seems like a course is a good way to learn the basics of the test faster than trudging through textbooks on your own. I also did one of the free online Kaplan weeks in July and got a couple tips that I hadn't picked up in the bibles.

So, IMO taking a course is not necessary but can be really helpful for getting the basics down/ learning how to study more effectively if time is an issue and if you have the money.

Good luck and I hope this helped!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lunacyaf707

New

Post by lunacyaf707 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi, I am thinking of taking the TestMaster course for preparation of the November 2018. Anyone had experience with their live classes? And does anyone have a referral code? Thanks

JoblessAndHopeless

New

Post by JoblessAndHopeless » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:39 pm

lunacyaf707 wrote:Hi, I am thinking of taking the TestMaster course for preparation of the November 2018. Anyone had experience with their live classes? And does anyone have a referral code? Thanks
Also interested in this. Also, similar question for Powerscore course as well.

Seamus5

New

Post by Seamus5 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 am

Hey guys, checking in. Took June 2018 LSAT got 165, retaking to aim for 169+. If you have not already heard of 7Sage, I cannot recommend them enough, especially for Logic Games. Using them, I'd be shocked if you do not consistently hit -0/-1. They have free Youtube video explanations for past LGs. Best of luck!

4KicksnGiggles

New

Post by 4KicksnGiggles » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:29 am

Seanathon wrote:
4KicksnGiggles wrote:Hello Everyone!

Hey! I've been lucky enough to have a good amount of free time this Summer so I've been going the self-study route using the Power Score bibles, some 7sage videos, and actual prep tests. I looked into the Khan Academy materials but haven't used them too much. I have a couple friends who both just finished up Kaplan courses. One really liked it while the other didn't feel like she got out of it what she was expecting. I think they both improved like 5 or 6 points from diagnostic. From what they told me, it seems like a course is a good way to learn the basics of the test faster than trudging through textbooks on your own. I also did one of the free online Kaplan weeks in July and got a couple tips that I hadn't picked up in the bibles.

So, IMO taking a course is not necessary but can be really helpful for getting the basics down/ learning how to study more effectively if time is an issue and if you have the money.

Good luck and I hope this helped!
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. Ironically, I considered adding both 7sage and Khan Academy to my test prep. I decided to give Khan Academy a chance first since it was free and for the performance tracking. I am still weighing the option of adding 7sage if my PTs are not where I want them in a month. What do you guys think about 7sage?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”