The Official November 2018 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JoblessAndHopeless

New

Re: The Official November 2018 LSAT Study Group

Post by JoblessAndHopeless » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:51 am

4KicksnGiggles wrote:
Seanathon wrote:
4KicksnGiggles wrote:Hello Everyone!

I am checking into this forum. The goal is Nov. LSAT and, if necessary, a retake in Jan. Right now, I am getting a study schedule together and waiting for my books to be delivered. I intend on trying self study to start out. However, I was entertaining an online prep course, but I wondered if it was really necessary. If I am not where I want to be by the end of August, then I can revisit my options. Advice is welcomed. Wishing everyone the best in their studies and on the test!
Hey! I've been lucky enough to have a good amount of free time this Summer so I've been going the self-study route using the Power Score bibles, some 7sage videos, and actual prep tests. I looked into the Khan Academy materials but haven't used them too much. I have a couple friends who both just finished up Kaplan courses. One really liked it while the other didn't feel like she got out of it what she was expecting. I think they both improved like 5 or 6 points from diagnostic. From what they told me, it seems like a course is a good way to learn the basics of the test faster than trudging through textbooks on your own. I also did one of the free online Kaplan weeks in July and got a couple tips that I hadn't picked up in the bibles.

So, IMO taking a course is not necessary but can be really helpful for getting the basics down/ learning how to study more effectively if time is an issue and if you have the money.

Good luck and I hope this helped!
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. Ironically, I considered adding both 7sage and Khan Academy to my test prep. I decided to give Khan Academy a chance first since it was free and for the performance tracking. I am still weighing the option of adding 7sage if my PTs are not where I want them in a month. What do you guys think about 7sage?
I'm using 7Sage exclusively, and it is very good.

gavin0602

New

Post by gavin0602 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:44 pm

I'm using 7Sage (Ultimate) as well, and my last PT was at 155 (I know not great!). However, I have taken the LSAT before and scored a 150 so I believe I'm making some progress.

I'm planning on spending this weekend taking another full PT and covering grouping games. How about you all?

JoblessAndHopeless

New

Post by JoblessAndHopeless » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:34 pm

gavin0602 wrote:I'm using 7Sage (Ultimate) as well, and my last PT was at 155 (I know not great!). However, I have taken the LSAT before and scored a 150 so I believe I'm making some progress.

I'm planning on spending this weekend taking another full PT and covering grouping games. How about you all?

I'm using 7Sage Starter for now, and I've gone through almost all of the lessons. I also plan on taking an in-person Powerscore prep class as well. Pretty costly, but might as well go in guns blazing now and try to knock this exam out in November.

Jovytai417

New

Post by Jovytai417 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi guys I will be taking October 2018 LSAT in Hong Kong. I have completed 7 sage and Powerscore, but my RC is still unsatisfying. Any recommendation on online courses about RC? Thanks a lot!

Kmr2262

New

Post by Kmr2262 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Did anyone else read the security question about patterns and their brain instantly went into complex question solving mode?!? Haha and then realize it’s just a simple security question. My brain is so LSAT fried already haha

I’m taking the Nov 2018 LSAT. I started studying in June but not very scheduled or dedicated till August, where I have studied daily since. So far I’m using The Official LSAT Superprep, Logical Reasoning Bible, I’ve watched the Insight LSAT mini prep 8 series videos, and a few other random videos. I spend way too much time reading others experiences taking the LSAT, I actually don’t know if it makes me feel better or worse! But definitely up for a dedicated study partner, if not even someone who just understands the guilt when you don’t study 5 hours a day but is going through the same things! Haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AdamLSAT

New

Post by AdamLSAT » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi everyone. I am a former BigLaw attorney and current LSAT tutor having worked with many companies in the business as an instructor and tutor. If anyone feels like they may want private tutoring in order to get the best score possible, don't hesitate to email me at adamkravatz@gmail.com.

Good luck studying everyone!

gavin0602

New

Post by gavin0602 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:03 am

Bumping this. If anyone is in the SoCal region and needs a buddy to take full length practice tests on Sat or Sun PM me and let's crush this thing

Former R1 3v3

New

Post by Former R1 3v3 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Hey everyone! :)

Just made this account. Wanted to write a quick introduction and also a short list of some questions that I have about the LSAT exam. My name is Mike and I am getting ready to take the LSAT for the first time this coming November. I am both extremely excited but also very nervous. I just began studying by using the free Khan Academy LSAT preparation guides and resources. I also ordered 30 LSAT exams to do for practice in order to stimulate what the exam will be like. I understand that I have less than two months to prepare but granted I do believe in myself and am dedicating easily thirty to forty hours a week to study for this while working only part-time for now.

Thank you everyone btw! :)

1 - During the exam is there a clock/timer that is displayed to let you know exactly how much time you have during the exam?
2 - Is there a way to know which sections are the most common on the exam, or, what questions (types of questions/problems) are the most common?
3 - Are there any simple/basic tips and tricks to read questions faster and more effectively or to quickly eliminate obviously wrong answer choices?
4 - How do you know which 5th section is the ungraded one?
5 - Any pointers or words for advice?

deafeningsilence

New

Post by deafeningsilence » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:00 am

One thing I saw was to get scantrons to transfer over your answers because you have to account for the time it takes to do that. Most people neglect that.

I started studying yesterday for the March LSAT. I know I'm giving myself a lot of time. I saw a post from a guy who:

"Diagnostic- 139
Final test score- 171
Material- Manhattan guides for LR and RC and Powerscore for LG. Explanations from the Manhattan forums.
Prep: Did every PT at least thrice and several 4 times.
Key learning: Use the elimination method in LR & RC to select the relatively best answer instead of looking for the 'right' one. LG was a mix of outright selection of the right answer and elimination, depending on the Q and game type.

Swear by the elimination method advocated and taught by the Manhattan guides. HTH."

I was thinking of:
1) hiring a private tutor from wyzant.com so I don't learn bad habits- 4 sessions for 2 weeks--- $75/hr
2)buying the guides in the above post and working through all of them.---~$100
3)taking a Testmasters live course in my area.---- $1650
4) resuming with the tutor. Undecided on hours.---$75/hr
5) doing a minimum of 4 practice tests/week Repeat M test on Thursday, T on F.--- already have tests, free.

Considering 7Sage course, I haven't looked into the price.
Open to any suggestions. I planning on studying for the greater part of the day for the next 6 months.
GPA 3.25, Diagnostic 139 :(
Thinking of going to Marquette because they have a low drop rate and high bar passage rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deafeningsilence

New

Post by deafeningsilence » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 am

One thing I saw was to get scantrons to transfer over your answers because you have to account for the time it takes to do that. Most people neglect that.

I started studying yesterday for the March LSAT. I know I'm giving myself a lot of time. I saw a post from a guy who:

"Diagnostic- 139
Final test score- 171
Material- Manhattan guides for LR and RC and Powerscore for LG. Explanations from the Manhattan forums.
Key learning: Use the elimination method in LR & RC to select the relatively best answer instead of looking for the 'right' one. LG was a mix of outright selection of the right answer and elimination, depending on the Q and game type.

Swear by the elimination method advocated and taught by the Manhattan guides. HTH."

I was thinking of:
1) hiring a private tutor from wyzant.com so I don't learn bad habits- 4 sessions for 2 weeks--- $75/hr
5) doing a minimum of 4 practice tests/week Repeat M test on Thursday, T on F.--- already have tests, free.

Open to any suggestions. I planning on studying for the greater part of the day for the next 6 months.
Thinking of going to Marquette because they have a low drop rate and high bar passage rate.

deafeningsilence

New

Post by deafeningsilence » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 pm

deafeningsilence wrote:One thing I saw was to get scantrons to transfer over your answers because you have to account for the time it takes to do that. Most people neglect that.

"Diagnostic- 139
Final test score- 171

I was thinking of:

So what I actually did since September. I hired the tutor form Wyzant, who was friggin amazing. She assigned me tons of homework. I felt like that actually was enough to score to my potential. My new score is 151, which I took today. I ran out of time and used my guess answer, which was "A", on 18 questions. When I went back and finished the rest I got 10 more correct, yielding a 157. I happy with that for now. I still have 3 weeks and need to work on timing as well as RC. Also to those that say you can only improve on Games, and you're stuck with your LR & RC scores, that is absolute bs. I feel this test is very teachable. With the right kind of homework and drills you can improve drastically. I believe I am capable of more. Time to just study, study, study.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”