Should I take practice tests while I'm still learning how to do each section? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
saffron

New

Should I take practice tests while I'm still learning how to do each section?

Post by saffron » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm in the middle of prepping for the September LSAT and I've finished reading the Powerscore logic games book. While I work through the other two books, do you recommend taking full practice tests as I go? I'm unsure how much good they'll do if I still don't have the best strategy for tackling the other two sections. Should I only keep practicing the logic games until I've finished the books for the other sections?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: Should I take practice tests while I'm still learning how to do each section?

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm

The way I did it was to take a diagnostic at the very beginning, and then I didn't take a PT again until I was comfortable with my understanding of how to approach each section. Sometimes I'd take a section of a PT under a realistic testing environment, but I didn't take a second full PT for a month and a half.

Synapse2018

New

Re: Should I take practice tests while I'm still learning how to do each section?

Post by Synapse2018 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 am

My method includes breaking down 10 practice tests into questions types and drilling by question type. Once weaknesses are isolated, work on those. The way I see it, taking timed practice tests isn't going to be as effective as learning to be able to get every problem right untimed. Once you're capable of getting every question right, you can tackle speed and accuracy in a more effective method. Otherwise, there is too much going on to really isolate your weaknesses.

I think the best foundation you can have is to work on your weak areas without worrying about time until you can get to a 180 (or close to it at least) untimed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”