Taking the LSAT a 3rd time? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
liyaoshi

New

Taking the LSAT a 3rd time?

Post by liyaoshi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:19 pm

So I've just got back my June LSAT result (international test center) and found out I got a 168, 2 points below my 170 in the February exam. This is really frustrating as I've averaged 175~176 during PTs before the test. There's still time for me to retake a 3rd time in October. And considering the schools that I'd like to go(T6) to and the potential scholarship money, it seems that I should retake to get a higher score.

On the other hand, I've beginning to have doubts about 1. whether I can actually improve my scores (perhaps I just always get nervous on test day and underperform. This has happened to me with the SAT during college apps where I took it 3 times and saw only a 50 points improvement. It also seems that, after two attempts I'll have a hard time motivating myself to put in the hard work on LSAT yet again); and 2. even if I can improve by about 3~5 points, would it be worth it (I already have a 4.0 GPA, decent softs and good recommendation letters).

Would really appreciate some advice on whether I should take the test for the third time, and perhaps some advice on how to stay motivated. Thanks in advance!

empiricish

New

Re: Taking the LSAT a 3rd time?

Post by empiricish » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Absolutely do take the test a third time. There's no reason not to at all. And DO NOT get inside your own head about how you "always" mess up on test day; that kind of stress and self-doubt will kill you. Practice hard, take a lot of PT's, and get into a groove; then (as much as possible) treat the test like any other practice test.

I have seen a lot of people go through this same thing, and many of them have succeeded big time on the third try (or later!). A good score will open up all kinds of doors for you, and based on your PT's you're totally capable of getting it. I am 100% confident that retaking again is absolutely the right decision for you, and I think you know that and that you're only doubting yourself because you're understandably upset about your latest score.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm

empiricish wrote: Practice hard, take a lot of PT's, and get into a groove; then (as much as possible) treat the test like any other practice test.
Agreed, but OP should take a few weeks off first, sounds like they're on the verge of burnout.

OP: I don't know how exactly you replicate testing conditions, but you should do everything you can to make sure your PTs reflect your testing experience. If you can figure out what stresses you out about the real thing (besides the fact that you know it counts this time), you can add it to your PT environment and work on overcoming it.

I'd also recommend changing things up a little bit. Find a different study course or book, focus on a different aspect of the questions. Find some way to make it "click" that is different from the way you're doing it now.

empiricish

New

Post by empiricish » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:39 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:

OP: I don't know how exactly you replicate testing conditions, but you should do everything you can to make sure your PTs reflect your testing experience. If you can figure out what stresses you out about the real thing (besides the fact that you know it counts this time), you can add it to your PT environment and work on overcoming it.
Very much this. Don't time yourself with your phone; time yourself with the same analog watch you're going to use on the real thing. Don't take breaks to make yourself a sandwich or whatever, don't stop halfway through a Logic Games to respond to a text.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”