How do I increase my score from a 138 to at least a 150-155 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
monroe_blacc

New

How do I increase my score from a 138 to at least a 150-155

Post by monroe_blacc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:50 pm

I need help.
I took a kaplan course last year( which i feel didn't help at ALL) - For some reason i sat for the test(because i had already paid for it smh) and scored a 138.
After that i read through a power score book dated for 2008 ( information still seemed relevant) however i have not seen an increase in my score smh.. what am i doing wrong here. I've heard countless times " dont just do PT after PT- but learn the material inside out... WELL IM TRYING AND ITS STILL NOT HELPING :(.. I kind of think its my comprehension of the passages but kaplan has tried to convince us that we shouldn't even be reading the entire passages but picking up on context clues and passage types.. lord i need some serious feedback .. HELP PLEASE !

objctnyrhnr

Re: How do I increase my score from a 138 to at least a 150-155

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:23 pm

monroe_blacc wrote:I need help.
I took a kaplan course last year( which i feel didn't help at ALL) - For some reason i sat for the test(because i had already paid for it smh) and scored a 138.
After that i read through a power score book dated for 2008 ( information still seemed relevant) however i have not seen an increase in my score smh.. what am i doing wrong here. I've heard countless times " dont just do PT after PT- but learn the material inside out... WELL IM TRYING AND ITS STILL NOT HELPING :(.. I kind of think its my comprehension of the passages but kaplan has tried to convince us that we shouldn't even be reading the entire passages but picking up on context clues and passage types.. lord i need some serious feedback .. HELP PLEASE !
I would let reading Comp go for the moment. With that score, there is a ton you could be improving upon. In my opinion, reading Comp is the hardest to improve on.

Figure out a way to learn what the appropriate “picture” or graphic is for every category of puzzle. Then do a ton of puzzles. Don’t worry about time per se at the beginning; instead just make sure that you make a new pic for every question and get the right answer. Repetition will get the time there. This will take a while, but it’s the most improveable section.

For arguments, do a section. Then read the book about why each right answer is right and the other answers are wrong. Then do that same section again. When you select an answer the second time, also write out an explanation of why it’s correct and why the wrong answers are wrong. This shouldn’t be that hard because you just read about it. Obviously do this exercise untimed, but it should help you to figure out the patterns in the arguments questions.

Once you get that stuff way up, return to reading Comp.

The_TLS_Shill

New

Post by The_TLS_Shill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:32 pm

1st. Where did you start? 138, as you are aware is a spot with a lot of room for improvement. Did you improve from diagnostic? Did you take a diagnostic? If you didn't improve then we are in a better place than if you started at 120.
You gotta realize you missed like 65 Q's, and a 150 is would be a 20 question improvement. Let's say you got 9 right in each section and 8 in one section (pretending you got 35 Q's right per June 2014), how many did you attempt? I would bet that if you did 10 total questions in a section and made sure you had those right (the first 10 questions of each section) and guessed on the rest your score will improve.

Seriously what I would tell you to do right now is take a practice and do the following:

LR: 10 Q's each section. Guess the rest.
LG: Try to do 2 games and guess the rest.
RC: 2 Passages guess the rest.

In theory that should be close to 40 Right Answers plus all guessed q's. That would increase your score and confidence. Other than that, GAMES.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:58 am

LSAT Trainer from amazon, Powerscore Logic Games Bible, and check out manhattan lsat course(all online and different levels of study, I found their system helpful)

Those would be my suggestions. Also don't aim for 150-155, once you really get the basic test down a 155 will be no problem.

As someone who struggled with RC, just let it go, perfect LG, get good at LR, and then worry with RC. For me I decided to spend most of the time on 3 passages(whichever 3 had the most questions) then leave 5 minutes to skim and quickly answer the last passage, I went from -12 to -6/-8 pretty quickly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”