How do I study? What do I do for my 2 months left? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Baylor28

New

How do I study? What do I do for my 2 months left?

Post by Baylor28 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:57 am

Hey Guys,

This is where I'm at:
I don't work and have no obligations, So I plan to study as much as possible for the June 11 Lsat coming up. If I see a good increase and think I can get better, I'll even skip out on June and take July, or both?

I'm constantly getting a 151 and my uGPA is a 3.45 from Baylor University. I need a 165+ score to really get into any of the Top 25 schools, which is where I'd like to go.

I get about 18/23 LG, 30/50 LR, 10/27 RC (I get one passage almost fully correct then get through the second and third very poorly and guess on the last one). Yes, I know, My RC sucks.
I'm a slow reader so it really doesn't help with RC and screws me when I try to read quicker on LR.
I want to get a 160 and I feel it's a stretch because of my numbers on LR and RC.
I think It's best if i master LG (get -1/-0), and get about 40/50 right on LR, getting me about 60 total credited responses, roughly getting me a 153, and If I get those 10 consistently like i have been for RC, that'll get me 70 credited, putting me roughly at a 158.

I'm confident I can get good at the games to do that, but what the hell do i do about LR and RC? I had a tutor for a little bit and the tutor said, "You get it. You're explaining it to me exactly right. I just don't know why you can't do that on paper."
Is it test anxiety?

I've taken BluePrint in person classes (It was alright but the instructor really never had time to answer questions and then offered private tutoring to get those questions answered, as if I haven't already spent a bunch on the class....), and Powerscore Online (which seemed helpful but then Hurricane Harvey hit so couldn't keep up with the class for the last month before the September Lsat).

What do I do? I really want to get the best score that I can, and I want that score to be AT LEAST a 160.

Wednesday

New

Re: How do I study? What do I do for my 2 months left?

Post by Wednesday » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:39 pm

How much time do you spend on the first RC paragraph?

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Based on your post I don't think you should go to law school. Your GPA isn't high enough to warrant any significant tuition discount, you'll be out of the unemployed for 3 years, and mired in debt if any T25 accepts you and you don't appear on pace to get close to 165.

If you truly, definitely want to get a top score and get in a good regional school (maybe UT-Austin is attainable?) you should shoot for the next one and dedicate some serious time to improving RC over the mid-term. 10/27 is an abysmal score and you need to get that up. You could dedicate more to doing only three passages, and there have been enough LSATs released and you are missing enough questions now that you could drill RC every day.

Drilling LG and LR by type is definitely something that will help you a lot but your GPA is too low to get any real aid so your only path without sustained long-term debt is probably a solid regional school in the area you want to practice where you can get in-state tuition, which means UT-Austin (based on Baylor UG) is probably your far and away best shot, and you are very unlikely to get there in 2.5 months.

Take a long hard look inside and decide if being a lawyer is truly what you want--if it is, study for September with a retake in December. Good luck!

The_TLS_Shill

New

Post by The_TLS_Shill » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Based on your post I don't think you should go to law school. Your GPA isn't high enough to warrant any significant tuition discount, you'll be out of the unemployed for 3 years, and mired in debt if any T25 accepts you and you don't appear on pace to get close to 165.

If you truly, definitely want to get a top score and get in a good regional school (maybe UT-Austin is attainable?) you should shoot for the next one and dedicate some serious time to improving RC over the mid-term. 10/27 is an abysmal score and you need to get that up. You could dedicate more to doing only three passages, and there have been enough LSATs released and you are missing enough questions now that you could drill RC every day.

Drilling LG and LR by type is definitely something that will help you a lot but your GPA is too low to get any real aid so your only path without sustained long-term debt is probably a solid regional school in the area you want to practice where you can get in-state tuition, which means UT-Austin (based on Baylor UG) is probably your far and away best shot, and you are very unlikely to get there in 2.5 months.

Take a long hard look inside and decide if being a lawyer is truly what you want--if it is, study for September with a retake in December. Good luck!

You can get better, but not in that time.
More time is the first and only real piece of advice right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”