powerscore logical reasoning adv class review ??? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Jdhoosier17

New

powerscore logical reasoning adv class review ???

Post by Jdhoosier17 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi there,
I'm looking for someone who has taken this logical reasoning adv. class. LR is my weakest section and I am working through the LR bible currently. I don't really want to spend $400 on the class if it isn't worth it or if it is like the normal powerscore class. Any reviews of this class?

JonDenningPowerScore

New

Re: powerscore logical reasoning adv class review ???

Post by JonDenningPowerScore » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi JD - a similar question was posed on reddit recently about both of our Advanced Courses 9https://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/83oi0k/p ... s_reviews/), and while I'm always reluctant to launch into a full-on sales pitch type dialogue—it'd be pretty transparent given who I am, and I know that's not what you're looking for anyway—I was able to explain in greater detail exactly how our Advanced Courses function, what they cover, and who they're best suited for. So let me post that info here as well in hopes that it at least helps clarify what you can expect to receive with the course and whether it's likely worth your investment :) (Sorry too that this is a bit long!)

Dave Killoran and I co-teach the Advanced LR Course (and I helped put together the Advanced Games, although Dave handles all the instruction there), so I can speak confidently on exactly what you'll find with them.

First though I'd encourage you and any other readers here to check out the descriptions on the main Advanced Course page (https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/courses/advanced/), as well as the syllabus provided for each, as that will give you a detailed look at precisely what topics/talking points are covered in the courses.

Similarly, there are four video previews on that page—broad course overviews for each that I think will answer a number of questions, as well as snippets of actual lessons from the courses themselves so you can see what it's like to view them—and I strongly recommend that you give those a look if you haven't previously! Again, seeing the specifics likely does the courses better justice than anything I could explain in writing here :)

I'll still give it a try though!

As a bit of background, what we've found is that when most test takers reach a state of high proficiency, and thus a certain score level in the top 10-15%, say (more on this at the bottom), the issues that still give them trouble aren't typically due to fundamental gaps in conceptual knowledge like a consistent inability to handle conditional reasoning or Parallel questions or Advanced Linear games. Instead, it's simply that a handful of LR questions in each section, regardless of type, are genuinely, objectively tough! And ditto a game or two in LG: the typical LSAT has one or two games, of whatever type and for whatever reason, that are simply more challenging than the others. Maybe that's to do with the need to create templates, or various numerical distributions that get overlooked, or a connection between rules that may not be immediately obvious but that leads to a key inference, or even a game type that's just odd/unusual, like the infamous Computer Virus game from the September 2016 LSAT (https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewforum.php?f=1199) that still gives people fits!

In each case, what needs to be discussed if these difficulties are to be resolved hinges less on the normal conversations we all have about strategies and methodology—"here's how to diagram an 'unless' statement" and "these are the common ways to strengthen causality"—and instead depends on exploring the very elements that make those *highest-level* situations challenging in the first place. So something along the lines of, "let's talk about strengthening causality very indirectly by removing an unmentioned, alternate cause that we first had to recognize could be in play...and now let's check out one of the toughest questions from PT X to demonstrate exactly what that looks like on the test and how to beat it."

So a much deeper exploration of ideas and instances at the extremes, where your typical 153-scorer needn't concern him/herself with those notions yet, but someone looking to go from -4 in LR sections to -0 or -1 will find this analysis can make all the difference.

And that's what these courses are designed to provide: a spotlight on, and deconstruction of, the very ceilings of LSAT difficulty, thus arming someone aiming for a score well into the upper-160s and beyond so they can feel truly well-equipped to successfully navigate every single thing they could encounter.

***Footnote 1: Additionally, in both courses we've pulled some of the toughest content ever to use as examples, perhaps most obviously in the Advanced LG where Dave shows you how to set up and solve what we feel are 12 of the hardest logic games in history! So a lot of conceptual discussion, but coupled with real test material so you can see the application side as well.

***Footnote 2: I mentioned above a score "in the top 10-15%," but that's a loose guideline. I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone below score X should avoid these courses, as your composite performance doesn't necessarily reflect each individual section (so someone missing 12 on a typical LG section isn't ready for the Advanced LG Course I'd say, but if they're far stronger in LR the Advanced LR Course could still do wonders for them), and everyone learns in different ways: some people want an exhaustive exposure to everything that can occur, allowing them a glimpse at where they hope to someday be, and from which they can prioritize their studies accordingly.

A good rule of thumb is probably that if you aren't into the 160s yet you should concentrate more on the fundamentals, whereas someone in the 170s will find nearly every second of these courses relevant. But again, that's broad strokes.

***Footnote 3: A background in PowerScore techniques is useful here, and everywhere really, but we designed these courses so that someone who hasn't been exposed to our methodology would still be more than fine. That is, we take some pains in the lessons to explain enough of the underlying strategies and approaches so that those new to us will still get maximal value out of what they're seeing :)

I hope that helps!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”