LSAT PT Plateau help! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Midwest58

New

LSAT PT Plateau help!

Post by Midwest58 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Hello All,

I am in need of some advice and help..I started my LSAT prep this past November. My initial diagnostic was a 151. Since then, I have read both the LG and LR bibles. My last 4 pretests, completed over the course of a month and a half, have ranged from 160-162. I have been logging and going over all my missed problems after I take the test, but I still can't seem to break that low 160 range. I am shooting for 170+ as I have a great GPA/softs and want to obtain the best scholarships/admission outcomes as I possibly can. My average missed question breakdown is as follows.

RC- 8-10 missed
LR- about 5 missed per section
LG- 5-7 missed

What would the recommended course of action be to break out of this rut and into the high 160s-170+ range? Thanks all!

Bartlet4President

New

Re: LSAT PT Plateau help!

Post by Bartlet4President » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Do the games over and over. There are a lot of resources online for games and you can see how other styles contrast with yours. Do the games again and again. Seriously master the games. For LR, one big question I would have to ask would be, where in the section are you missing Q’s? Only at the end? All throughout? This would help people give better guidance.

RC is where I struggle most, but it hasn’t definitely gotten better since my LR got better. Understanding passage (all sections), faking an interest, not nodding in agreement with the passage, and taking your time to paraphrase the passage should help.

Midwest58

New

Post by Midwest58 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:03 pm

In terms of LR, my misses seem to be all over the map with no real strong correlation. I do believe that section has been improving since I started though. Any tips on improving RC?

Bartlet4President

New

Post by Bartlet4President » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:49 pm

So that would imply you’re simply moving too fast. If you’re missing 5 and finishing maybe you should next time just not worry about the timing and see how far you get. Maybe you’ll only get to 23 or so but you’ll probably be more careful. Sometimes there is a hard question or two in the first 15 , but they do become difficult throughout the passage.

Really make sure you can reason the stimulus to yourself

As far as RC some of the biggest tips that help me are to remember to try to develop a simple one sentence summary of each paragraph and then a sum of the passage.
I read a paragraph and say “what did this say? Well it said XYZ.” Next paragraph I do the same. Nathan Fox gives solid advice: he asks himself throughout the passage “why are you wasting my time with this?” Remember every passage is a sort of argument and you need to know what they are trying to get across.

Faking an interest in the passage is helpful then.

blueprint-nick

New

Post by blueprint-nick » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:44 pm

Midwest58 wrote:Hello All,

I am in need of some advice and help..I started my LSAT prep this past November. My initial diagnostic was a 151. Since then, I have read both the LG and LR bibles. My last 4 pretests, completed over the course of a month and a half, have ranged from 160-162. I have been logging and going over all my missed problems after I take the test, but I still can't seem to break that low 160 range. I am shooting for 170+ as I have a great GPA/softs and want to obtain the best scholarships/admission outcomes as I possibly can. My average missed question breakdown is as follows.

RC- 8-10 missed
LR- about 5 missed per section
LG- 5-7 missed

What would the recommended course of action be to break out of this rut and into the high 160s-170+ range? Thanks all!
Try signing up for a prep-class (blueprint cough cough)! At the very least get a games specific book. Either blueprint or powerscore. I think the thing that distinguishes people at the upper edge of the curve from other test takers is that they tend to score 0 or -1 on LGs!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”