How much prep do I need? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Dash50

New

How much prep do I need?

Post by Dash50 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to figure out how much prep/tutoring I need for the LSAT. On my first PT, having never looked at the test before, in a loud library, with no prep, with the right margin of every other page missing (bad printer) I got a 146. I know I can't do worse than that, especially now that I have been studying.

Going through the test, I did really well in RC and LR but got torched in the Logic Games section. Of course, now I've learned all about diagramming and strategies, so I'm better at than when I took the PT raw, but there's always work to do.

From what I've read on here, folks recommend different prep books. I don't think the prep books alone would be enough, but I think a 40 hour course is overkill. I think I need something in between.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: How much prep do I need?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:50 pm

If there's one thing I've learned from hanging around here/studying for the LSAT, it is that no one can give you any clue at all how long it will take for you to reach your goal score. Some people go from 145-170 in 3 months and some people in a year. Some never get there. You didn't even tell us what your goal score is, so how can anyone know how much prep you need? If you're aiming for a 150, not much. A 173, probably a good deal.

As for courses and what not, I recommend 7Sage. It's online, it's affordable, and it will include all you need to do well. I am also a big fan of Manhattan's guides/The LSAT Trainer.

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:17 pm

Congratulations! A 146 is roughly the 30th percentile for test-takers (the lowest score is a 120). So at this point the answer to "how much prep do i need?" is "a lot." Pick up some study guides, take some timed practice exams and then ask. You may turn out to be a quick study or it might be hopeless. Telling us you did poorly with no prep is not going to get you a useful response.

Bartlet4President

New

Post by Bartlet4President » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:15 am

Diversify. You will find what works for you and what doesn’t.
As far as timelines... it’s really hard to answer. Don’t get beaten by your score, it’s a score that will change with prep.
Avoid Kaplan.

Try the Thinking LSAT pod, 7sage videos, Powerscore and Manhattan for LR answer explanations.

Don’t be scared to spend money. A thousand dollars spent on prep may be 100,000 in funding you receive later.

You should probably have all the prep tests too (should be less than $150 total).

Have fun, stick at it with the energy of a Benny addict, don’t be a weak baby that feels entitled. Hard work and strong habits are necessary considering your score right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”