Subject matter of RC hampering performance? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Law 202x

New

Subject matter of RC hampering performance?

Post by Law 202x » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:30 pm

It would certainly seem counterintuitive, ability to comprehend written material shouldn't be contingent upon whether you actually like or are familiar with what you're reading. Or maybe it wouldn't, I'm not sure. But if the material is in line with my interests, then I seem to do better, but if it is artsy fartsy stuff my eyes just glaze over and I feel like I am going to fall asleep. Yet with the broadness of subject matter, it's unlikely that on test day I will get four categories of material that I thoroughly enjoy, and experience shows I can expect to get approximately two. I enjoy science, and I enjoy history, but not all the questions are pertaining to science and history. Has this been a common experience and have you addressed personally ways to get around that, say if there is a passage about something that you don't know that much about and so have a hard time understanding, that you can still manage to rise above that challenge and do well on the questions?

Dash50

New

Re: Subject matter of RC hampering performance?

Post by Dash50 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:06 pm

I notice that too. I get certain passages so pathetically dull that my mind will wander. I once caught myself, and went back to the beginning of the article intentionally trying to focus, got halfway through, and my mind wandered again. There are some garbage passages on these tests.

blueprint-nick

New

Re: Subject matter of RC hampering performance?

Post by blueprint-nick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm

In my experience, being interested in the subject can be helpful. However, the LSAT presents a lot of really fucking boring passages to people from all walks of life lol. It is key to develop a process that can take you through passages that both interest you and are the equivalent of a really wordy in-flight magazine. Becoming rigorous about tracking viewpoints and identifying secondary structures will help you do this :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”