Serious Help With Retaking LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jban

New

Serious Help With Retaking LSAT

Post by jban » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:04 am

Hi all. First time posting, so if i do/say something obnoxious, please spare me.
I self studied for the lsat for about 8 months (from february till the past september) and took the september lsat. I was also stupid during this time and decided to take the june test when I wasnt prepared at all and was way overconfident in my abilities (When i took the test, my average was probably a 170, but that was a 170 average by taking only 4 section tests instead of 5 section ones, and practicing without bubbling (which can cost over a minute a section)). In the end, I also wasn't feeling so well on the test day and I got a 163. Obviously that sucks, but I totally understand the 7 point drop from my average, simply because that was a very inflated average score and i wasnt able to perform at 100%.
During my time studying, i had a bunch of ups and downs, but by the end (as in, between july and september), i was consistently scoring in the 175+ range. I had used almost all the powerscore materials, had been using 7sage stuff, and had used up basically almost all the preptests. When it came to the test though, my score ended up being a 167.
Now, i know that your score drops a few points from your average, but my average for my last 10 tests was at least a 176.
I don't know where I went wrong on the test because it was a sabbath observer test and can't see my mistakes.
If I had to guess i'd say I got a pretty good score on LR (I finished both of those sections with a couple of minutes remaining), missed a couple of points on games (the last problem was seriously hard), and I know that RC felt super super difficult and I barely understood a word of some of the passages, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that was the section that got me.

My question is this:
I want to retake to actually hit my potential (or at least get close to it) - how should i study for it again?
To be honest, It's hard to locate specific weaknesses I have, because on practice tests I've gotten even 180s before. I just want to get to the point where even on test day, that 180 practice can turn into a 180 (or even 173) on the test.
It's not that I have anxiety when i take the real test, or anything like that - which makes it harder to solve the problem. I just want to be able to get to the point where absolutely no matter what is thrown at me, I can make sure to hit very close to my average score.
That all being said - how should i study? Should I get a tutor? Would a tutor be able to help me (seeing that I already know the concepts really well). I need more of a study technique and study plan thatll get me to the point to translate my practice scores into real scores.

ANY and ALL help is really really appreciated.

[also, side note: I was satisfied with my score and even applied to a bunch of law schools this past october, but over time i realized i'd come to regret not reaching my potential (after all, it could save a bunch of money down the line), and i wanted to work anyway].

mcat4life87

New

Re: Serious Help With Retaking LSAT

Post by mcat4life87 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:37 am

jban wrote:Hi all. First time posting, so if i do/say something obnoxious, please spare me.
I self studied for the lsat for about 8 months (from february till the past september) and took the september lsat. I was also stupid during this time and decided to take the june test when I wasnt prepared at all and was way overconfident in my abilities (When i took the test, my average was probably a 170, but that was a 170 average by taking only 4 section tests instead of 5 section ones, and practicing without bubbling (which can cost over a minute a section)). In the end, I also wasn't feeling so well on the test day and I got a 163. Obviously that sucks, but I totally understand the 7 point drop from my average, simply because that was a very inflated average score and i wasnt able to perform at 100%.
During my time studying, i had a bunch of ups and downs, but by the end (as in, between july and september), i was consistently scoring in the 175+ range. I had used almost all the powerscore materials, had been using 7sage stuff, and had used up basically almost all the preptests. When it came to the test though, my score ended up being a 167.
Now, i know that your score drops a few points from your average, but my average for my last 10 tests was at least a 176.
I don't know where I went wrong on the test because it was a sabbath observer test and can't see my mistakes.
If I had to guess i'd say I got a pretty good score on LR (I finished both of those sections with a couple of minutes remaining), missed a couple of points on games (the last problem was seriously hard), and I know that RC felt super super difficult and I barely understood a word of some of the passages, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that was the section that got me.

My question is this:
I want to retake to actually hit my potential (or at least get close to it) - how should i study for it again?
To be honest, It's hard to locate specific weaknesses I have, because on practice tests I've gotten even 180s before. I just want to get to the point where even on test day, that 180 practice can turn into a 180 (or even 173) on the test.
It's not that I have anxiety when i take the real test, or anything like that - which makes it harder to solve the problem. I just want to be able to get to the point where absolutely no matter what is thrown at me, I can make sure to hit very close to my average score.
That all being said - how should i study? Should I get a tutor? Would a tutor be able to help me (seeing that I already know the concepts really well). I need more of a study technique and study plan thatll get me to the point to translate my practice scores into real scores.

ANY and ALL help is really really appreciated.

[also, side note: I was satisfied with my score and even applied to a bunch of law schools this past october, but over time i realized i'd come to regret not reaching my potential (after all, it could save a bunch of money down the line), and i wanted to work anyway].
Sounds you just need to take it again. Doesn't really matter what you do this time around, as long as you're averaging 175+ (like you were before), and as long as you're taking the practice exam under realistic conditions, you can expect that you'll get around your average.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”