going from 140-170's..specific questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nicole21

New

going from 140-170's..specific questions

Post by nicole21 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi All,

I have heard of some people who scored 140 on their diagnostic(like myself) breaking into the 170's. I wanted to ask, for those of you who have done it (or for anyone else who can answer these upcoming questions), what helped you the most with:
a) quickly making inferences on logic games
b) being able to pinpoint the correct answer on some of the LR questions when you're stuck between 2(for me this happens about every 4 or 5 questions)
c) thoughts about improving from high 140's-low 150's -170's in 8 months?

I've self studied off an on for about 3 months, at least 4 hours a day/5 days a wk..planning to stay at a minimum of that for the next 8 months before i take the exam w/7 sage and steve schwartz scheudules. Thank you!
Last edited by nicole21 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MrLions

New

Re: going from 140-170's..advice?

Post by MrLions » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:17 pm

If you’ve studied 15-20 hrs/mo for 5 months and are still below 150 then my advice is to either A) take the GRE instead, or B) adjust your goals.

nicole21

New

Post by nicole21 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:40 pm

MrLions wrote:If you’ve studied 15-20 hrs/mo for 5 months and are still below 150 then my advice is to either A) take the GRE instead, or B) adjust your goals.

reasonable advice^ but it was probably more like 3 months because it was off and on for 5...the last diagnostic was upper 140's-low 150's so I'm definitely not done yet.

chasima

Bronze

Re: going from 140-170's..specific questions

Post by chasima » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 pm

nicole21 wrote:Hi All,

I have heard of some people who scored 140 on their diagnostic(like myself) breaking into the 170's.
Hey! I am one of those people. My diagnostic was a 147. I scored a 172 on my second take of the real thing.
nicole21 wrote: I wanted to ask, for those of you who have done it (or for anyone else who can answer these upcoming questions), what helped you the most with:
a) quickly making inferences on logic games
7Sage foolproof method and doing each of the games at least 2-3 times. Print out multiple copies, save the ones that give you the most struggle, and return to them later.
nicole21 wrote: b) being able to pinpoint the correct answer on some of the LR questions when you're stuck between 2(for me this happens about every 4 or 5 questions)
Another 7Sage method (I didn't do the full course, just took some of the free advice they have)--but you should mark these questions as you do the test and then when you're done, before checking your answer, go back and write out explanations for why you think each answer is either right or wrong. Then, check which answer is correct and try to find and explanation for why (you can find this online with some googling--don't think I'm allowed to mention what I used on here lol). If you got it wrong, compare your wrong explanation with the right one and take note of where you wet wrong in your thought process. Repeat as many times as possible.
nicole21 wrote: c) thoughts about improving from high 140's-low 150's -170's in 8 months?
Who knows. It's different for everyone. I think putting a timetable on it is a bad idea and does yourself a disservice. It took me about a year and a half of on and off studying to improve into the 170s. But it's different for everyone and anyone who says they can predict how long it will take you unless they've been working with you directly is probably is pulling a number out of their rear end haha. I was always confident that I was capable of improving though, even if studying sucked sometimes, so I guess it's more about knowing yourself and whether you really understand what you're learning.
nicole21 wrote: I've self studied off an on for about 3 months, at least 4 hours a day/5 days a wk..planning to stay at a minimum of that for the next 8 months before i take the exam w/7 sage and steve schwartz scheudules. Thank you!
Good luck! Don't burn out and don't be afraid to take breaks. It's a marathon not a sprint. Feel free to PM me with any questions

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 pm

nicole21 wrote:
MrLions wrote:If you’ve studied 15-20 hrs/mo for 5 months and are still below 150 then my advice is to either A) take the GRE instead, or B) adjust your goals.

reasonable advice^ but it was probably more like 3 months because it was off and on for 5...the last diagnostic was upper 140's-low 150's so I'm definitely not done yet.

Still sounds like you're doing something wrong. Sign up for a 7Sage course (if you haven't already) and follow the CC schedule. Do the lessons. Memorize what JY tells you is important. Do the problem sets, review your work, and foolproof logic games using 7Sage's method.

How many questions are you getting wrong per section?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nicole21

New

Post by nicole21 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
nicole21 wrote:

Still sounds like you're doing something wrong. Sign up for a 7Sage course (if you haven't already) and follow the CC schedule. Do the lessons. Memorize what JY tells you is important. Do the problem sets, review your work, and foolproof logic games using 7Sage's method.

yes, i'm not too far from purchasing 7sage...I'll tell you about my results untimed, since that is what I have been mostly doing since I don't want to do it timed(get like upper 140-low 150) unless i can manage to get at least 90-95 % accuracy untimed. So untimed, I've consistently scored low-mid 160. So for starters, I've only been doing them untimed because I haven't reached 95 % accuracy on mastering fundamentals, which is what I want. Untimed LG i miss 2-4(LG) and up to 2-5 on LR. Haven't worked too much on RC yet. I don't think I struggle with understanding the concepts in general, the stuff in the book makes sense..and I can make the inferences I've seen JY make, but just not as fast and after some trial and error.

nicole21

New

Post by nicole21 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:54 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
nicole21 wrote:

Yes i've been thinking about 7sage..so I've avoided doing timed tests(low 150's) because I havent gotten 90-95% accuracy on untimed material. Untimed, i score in low 160's. RC is kind of hit on miss and havent' been working on it as much as LG or LR ..but LR i miss 2-5, and LG I miss 2-4.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:58 pm

nicole21 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
nicole21 wrote:

Yes i've been thinking about 7sage..so I've avoided doing timed tests(low 150's) because I havent gotten 90-95% accuracy on untimed material. Untimed, i score in low 160's. RC is kind of hit on miss and havent' been working on it as much as LG or LR ..but LR i miss 2-5, and LG I miss 2-4.
So, at this point, I would suggest only working on the fundamentals and drilling by question type. If your untimed score is in the low 160s there is still plenty of room to learn the basics. You'll love 7Sage and the community on their forums. Super supportive and helpful :)
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nicole21

New

Post by nicole21 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
nicole21 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
nicole21 wrote:

So, at this point, I would suggest only working on the fundamentals and drilling by question type. If your untimed score is in the low 160s there is still plenty of room to learn the basics. You'll love 7Sage and the community on their forums. Super supportive and helpful :)
thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”