Please help me improve! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cooljoe96

New

Please help me improve!

Post by cooljoe96 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Hello everyone! I recently took the December LSAT, and the below stats are my scores. I've put my PT scores in parenthesis. Any advice on what tools to use to improve? I've had blueprint online for a few months, and it's pretty helpful, but I need something to help get me over the hump with games. I'm aiming for a 170+.

Composite: 165 (168-175)
LR: -4
R: -4
LG: -12

How do I get over this LG hump? So far as LR and R go, I pretty consistently score -0 to -4 in total, and I don't think they're typically issues. LG is frustrating, though. I know how to do every kind of game just from brute practice and repetition, and, given about 10 minutes, I can get any individual game completely correct. My issue is timing, and I feel that this stems from poor ability to make inferences up front. I usually get through 2-3 games and get all the questions right, but often find myself leaving an entire game blank for lack of time. This last lSAT is a perfect example- I had to guess for the last 8 questions. Any advice? I've heard that the Powerscore LG bible is good, and I might pick one up. Thanks in advance!

**Also, to clarify, the December LSAT was my first real take. I plan on taking February and June and hopefully applying with a score in the 170s come September. I have a high 3.8x GPA from a top 5 undergrad school, so I'm really aiming for HYSC!

tanes25

New

Re: Please help me improve!

Post by tanes25 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:58 am

Hands down 7Sage. At this point I probably wouldn’t buy the course because all LG videos are free. You can go to their site or YouTube. They have videos for all LSAT games released. Just watch the videos and do your best to mimic them. It’s pretty much repetition. Do the fool proof method for every game and you’ll start to notice the patterns with inferences. Some people say you’re just memorizing the games because fool proofing requires 10x for each game but the point is you’ll recognize the similarities and inferences the next time you see them. These games are pretty much the same. They just change clowns to scientists or streets to building floors. Plenty of people can complete the games brute forcing. You need to know how to make inferences so that you can set up game boards when appropriate and fly through the section. If you can get through games with minimal errors brute forcing then time is your enemy. Start fool proofing and work on those inferences and you’ll be golden. Hop over to the 7 Sage forum and read the discussions or ask about the fool proof method. It’s been discussed several times. Create a free account and ask or simply search fool proof method on the site. LG is the easiest section to improve so you’re lucky! Start now and February should be a cake walk for you!

cooljoe96

New

Post by cooljoe96 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks for the reply! Any advice on PowerScore? I've heard great things. 7Sage seems great too, but I think I would work better with some sort of curriculum, which an actual textbook might provide. Regardless, I'll combine whatever material I use with the 7sage method.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:19 pm

If you're ever going -4 on LR/RC there are issues. Depending on your desired score that may be enough, and LG performance is certainly your priority, but don't convince yourself that you don't have LR/RC issues because you do.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

cooljoe96

New

Post by cooljoe96 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:26 pm

AJordan wrote:If you're ever going -4 on LR/RC there are issues. Depending on your desired score that may be enough, and LG performance is certainly your priority, but don't convince yourself that you don't have LR/RC issues because you do.
AJordan is the reason this site gets a bad rep! An unnecessarily snarky response that does nothing to address the core question (re: how can I improve in LG); like many posts on this site, their response probably only serves to boost their own ego or compensate for some kind of other deficiency. And, FYI AJordan, while I may have gone -4 on games on the last exam (-2, -2), I consistently practice around -0 or -1, and I have for about a month. December was my first real sitting, and the mistakes I made were pretty dumb. I could definitely do better in LR, and I hope to go 51/51 next time, but I'm already capable and in the range; sometimes it just comes down to test day luck and stupid errors. Again, your comment is unnecessary, and it does nothing to address the question. I'm sure your prolific career as a 300+ post user of Top Law Schools has desensitized you to such idiocy, though.

Anyyyyhow, thank you to the poster who gave advice regarding games. I'll incorporate it and hope for the best :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MichiganHoosier

New

Post by MichiganHoosier » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:09 pm

cooljoe96 wrote:
AJordan wrote:If you're ever going -4 on LR/RC there are issues. Depending on your desired score that may be enough, and LG performance is certainly your priority, but don't convince yourself that you don't have LR/RC issues because you do.
AJordan is the reason this site gets a bad rep! An unnecessarily snarky response that does nothing to address the core question (re: how can I improve in LG); like many posts on this site, their response probably only serves to boost their own ego or compensate for some kind of other deficiency. And, FYI AJordan, while I may have gone -4 on games on the last exam (-2, -2), I consistently practice around -0 or -1, and I have for about a month. December was my first real sitting, and the mistakes I made were pretty dumb. I could definitely do better in LR, and I hope to go 51/51 next time, but I'm already capable and in the range; sometimes it just comes down to test day luck and stupid errors. Again, your comment is unnecessary, and it does nothing to address the question. I'm sure your prolific career as a 300+ post user of Top Law Schools has desensitized you to such idiocy, though.

Anyyyyhow, thank you to the poster who gave advice regarding games. I'll incorporate it and hope for the best :)
Kind of uncalled for. AJordan is a pretty good contributor to this site, and if you can't take additional recommendations to improve your score, don't post. This isn't a safe space where you're free from unsolicited advice. Maybe next time just say "while I may have gone -4 on games on the last exam (-2, -2), I consistently practice around -0 or -1, and I have for about a month." Instead, everything you said was unnecessarily snarky, thus boosting your own ego or compensating for some kind of other deficiency. I dislike people like you on TLS. You give it a bad rep.

cooljoe96

New

Post by cooljoe96 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:44 pm

MichiganHoosier wrote:
cooljoe96 wrote:

Kind of uncalled for. AJordan is a pretty good contributor to this site, and if you can't take additional recommendations to improve your score, don't post. This isn't a safe space where you're free from unsolicited advice. Maybe next time just say "while I may have gone -4 on games on the last exam (-2, -2), I consistently practice around -0 or -1, and I have for about a month." Instead, everything you said was unnecessarily snarky, thus boosting your own ego or compensating for some kind of other deficiency. I dislike people like you on TLS. You give it a bad rep.
You're one in the same with AJordan. I came here seeking advice for LG; no advice was offered on their part. Not only did they not offer LG advice, but they also failed to offer substantive LR advice- complete ego trip post. I don't need a "safe space," but I get sick of unnecessary unhelpfulness! They went out of their way to criticize what is most likely a 99th percentile LR score and contributed nothing to discussion. While they have a right to be a, well, jerk, I also have the right to call them out! And if that makes me the kind of TLS poster you dislike, so be it :)

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:51 pm

I liked the LG Bible. I'm not where I want to be yet, but it really helped me improve my abilities in LG. It goes over diagramming, making inferences, advanced techniques, mindset, etc. There are drills throughout that reinforce concepts, and at the end of the book there are several sections' worth of games, all of which are ones that appear throughout the book, in the newer, two-page LG format for extra practice. I don't have the money for 7Sage, so I was looking for a cheaper resource for LG.

tanes25

New

Post by tanes25 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:55 pm

239840 wrote:I liked the LG Bible. I'm not where I want to be yet, but it really helped me improve my abilities in LG. It goes over diagramming, making inferences, advanced techniques, mindset, etc. There are drills throughout that reinforce concepts, and at the end of the book there are several sections' worth of games, all of which are ones that appear throughout the book, in the newer, two-page LG format for extra practice. I don't have the money for 7Sage, so I was looking for a cheaper resource for LG.

All 7Sage LG explanations are free. Just go to YouTube or their site.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tanes25

New

Post by tanes25 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:58 pm

cooljoe96 wrote:Thanks for the reply! Any advice on PowerScore? I've heard great things. 7Sage seems great too, but I think I would work better with some sort of curriculum, which an actual textbook might provide. Regardless, I'll combine whatever material I use with the 7sage method.
Sorry, but I can’t speak for Powerscore. Also, there is curriculum for LG although you’ll get the most out of watching the videos. Everything in the curriculum is discussed in the videos because not everyone actually buys a pkg to go through the curriculum but all LG explanations are free to everyone.

zhyunjc

New

Post by zhyunjc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:05 am

I'm inclined to agree with this, and personally I feel it was advice given in good faith :)
For logic games I think once you learn to diagram rules properly, it's a matter of just doing as many actual games as you can. I don't think I used many resources outside of the official tests, and I was more comfortable with games by my testing date(s), relative to when I first started studying.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:33 am

What are your averages for each section over the last 5ish tests? The range of your PTs is good information but doesn't help with more detailed analysis. You could be getting the same number of questions wrong on your PT and being helped by the 170 curve. One data point of breakdowns is not going to help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”