The Official June 2018 Study Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
olympia

New

Re: The Official June 2018 Study Thread

Post by olympia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Mikey wrote:
olympia wrote:
Mikey wrote:practicing untimed at first is kind of what you should do..

who cares what your real score is timed if you're just starting out? you need to learn and dissect the test when you first start, and untimed practice is the way to do it. blind review is to be done after you've already practiced a shit ton and are doing PT's, and then once you blind review after a PT you see where your weaknesses still are and you practice untimed for those specific weaknesses.

untimed drilling is definitely not a waste of time unless you're a god and are already practicing in the 170's right off the bat.. I would say most (I'd even go as far as saying all) of the people I know who got a 170+ all did untimed drilling. def not a waste.

e: and of course people should time themselves eventually, but the point of untimed practice is to see the patterns of the test so you can get faster at doing it when you actually do end up timing yourself.
This 100%. I was baffled by the user saying that untimed drilling is a waste. A statement like that screams of laziness and ignorance. Or someone who scored 175+ on their diagnostic. I’m leaning towards the former.

And, yes: I never understood the weight TLSers placed on a diagnostic score. I never took a diagnostic test because I knew I would do horribly: prior to studying for the test, I had no idea what conditional logic was nor was I familiar with doing logic games or reading for structure. A diagnostic score can only be useful and somewhat accurate if the test taker has experience with conditional logic and reading for structure.
yeah, diagnostics for most people are a waste of a PT and waste of time, imo. for some it is helpful though. I knew someone last year who scored a 164 on their diagnostic and had trouble mostly with LG. and guess what he did :mrgreen: :mrgreen: untimed drilling for LG :mrgreen: :mrgreen: haha he got a mid 170's score and ended up with a full tuition ride in the T13.

I know his exp is just an anecdote, along with everyone else I know, but I know.. A LOT of people who have taken this test, and not one of them didn't do drilling.. haha

for the most part though, for most people, a diagnostic literally just says "HEY YOU NEED TO STUDY" which you already freakin knew.

but idk, everyone is different I guess? there's def a select few who truly don't need to drill as hard and only take PTs and BR because they're already decent at the test right off the bat. and to those individuals, I kneel and give them my first born.
Lmao.

I have a friend whose mom had her doing logic games since she was a child... she only took one PT and scored in the high 170s. After, she did a little bit of RC drilling since that was her only weak area. She scored 179 on the actual test.

Sigh.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:55 pm

olympia wrote: Lmao.

I have a friend whose mom had her doing logic games since she was a child... she only took one PT and scored in the high 170s. After, she did a little bit of RC drilling since that was her only weak area. She scored 179 on the actual test.

Sigh.
wtf

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Mikey wrote:

Sigh.
wtf
Yeah. Meanwhile, my ass has been studying off and on for about a year and half now for this test and I still don’t feel ready.

NotLawDog

New

Post by NotLawDog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:58 pm

olympia wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Sigh.
wtf
Yeah. Meanwhile, my ass has been studying off and on for about a year and half now for this test and I still don’t feel ready.
I'm torn between totally wanting to be that dad in the future and thinking that mom is a goddamn monster. TBF tho, LG is pretty damn fun.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:06 pm

NotLawDog wrote:LG is pretty damn fun.
PT72 S4 G4
PT77 S3 G3

HAVE FUN! :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:14 pm

I can’t wait to study tonight!

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:15 pm

For people who have already taken the exam- did you scout out locations before you registered? Looking for parking, desk size, temperature etc... I had a few people tell me that they showed up at their test location and the desks where incredibly small and inconvenient.

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:16 pm

olympia wrote:I can’t wait to study tonight!
Studying right now :D
Last edited by Chaimthegreat on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:16 pm

I have no idea why this comment went out twice- please ignore.
Last edited by Chaimthegreat on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Chaimthegreat wrote:
Jealous. I’m at work right now and I can’t wait to get off so that I can study. I’ll be doing some games during my lunch break, though.

NotLawDog

New

Post by NotLawDog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Chaimthegreat wrote:
I mean I was studying till I ended up here again.... rereading the justify the conclusion and assumption sections in the LR bible atm

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:48 pm

NotLawDog wrote:
Chaimthegreat wrote:
I mean I was studying till I ended up here again.... rereading the justify the conclusion and assumption sections in the LR bible atm
Have you tried the Manhattan LR book? Much better than the LR Bible, IMO.

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:04 pm

NotLawDog wrote:
Chaimthegreat wrote:
Yeah I have the LR bible but I haven't opened it- so far I have preferred the 7Sage approach. I have found the LG bible helpful though. Maybe I'll get around to getting the Manhattan LR book too as it has been recommended.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Chaimthegreat wrote:
NotLawDog wrote:
Chaimthegreat wrote:
Yeah I have the LR bible but I haven't opened it- so far I have preferred the 7Sage approach. I have found the LG bible helpful though. Maybe I'll get around to getting the Manhattan LR book too as it has been recommended.
I definitely recommend the Manhattan LR text. LR didn’t click until I read it; I was so upset because I realized I wasted so much time reading the LR Bible (and the Bibles in general). I don’t think the LR Bible did a thorough job of explaining the differences between Necessary and Sufficient questions because I didn’t realize you had to approach the two with completely different methods until I read the Manhattan LR text.

NotLawDog

New

Post by NotLawDog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm

olympia wrote:
Chaimthegreat wrote:
NotLawDog wrote:
Chaimthegreat wrote:
I definitely recommend the Manhattan LR text. LR didn’t click until I read it; I was so upset because I realized I wasted so much time reading the LR Bible (and the Bibles in general). I don’t think the LR Bible did a thorough job of explaining the differences between Necessary and Sufficient questions because I didn’t realize you had to approach the two with completely different methods until I read the Manhattan LR text.
Explain further?

abernardi16

New

Post by abernardi16 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:06 pm

Checking in, let's do this!

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:36 am

Sigh.
My mother clearly could have done more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:37 am

Mikey wrote: PT72 S4 G4
Gross

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:15 am

chewinggum wrote:

Sigh.
It’s our mother’s faults that we are in this thread.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:22 am

olympia wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

Sigh.
lack of parental guidance smfh

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Mikey wrote:
olympia wrote:
chewinggum wrote:

Sigh.
lack of parental guidance smfh
Lmao thats nuts

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

caropie

New

Post by caropie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Mikey wrote:
olympia wrote:
Mikey wrote:practicing untimed at first is kind of what you should do..

who cares what your real score is timed if you're just starting out? you need to learn and dissect the test when you first start, and untimed practice is the way to do it. blind review is to be done after you've already practiced a shit ton and are doing PT's, and then once you blind review after a PT you see where your weaknesses still are and you practice untimed for those specific weaknesses.

untimed drilling is definitely not a waste of time unless you're a god and are already practicing in the 170's right off the bat.. I would say most (I'd even go as far as saying all) of the people I know who got a 170+ all did untimed drilling. def not a waste.

e: and of course people should time themselves eventually, but the point of untimed practice is to see the patterns of the test so you can get faster at doing it when you actually do end up timing yourself.
This 100%. I was baffled by the user saying that untimed drilling is a waste. A statement like that screams of laziness and ignorance. Or someone who scored 175+ on their diagnostic. I’m leaning towards the former.

And, yes: I never understood the weight TLSers placed on a diagnostic score. I never took a diagnostic test because I knew I would do horribly: prior to studying for the test, I had no idea what conditional logic was nor was I familiar with doing logic games or reading for structure. A diagnostic score can only be useful and somewhat accurate if the test taker has experience with conditional logic and reading for structure.
yeah, diagnostics for most people are a waste of a PT and waste of time, imo. for some it is helpful though. I knew someone last year who scored a 164 on their diagnostic and had trouble mostly with LG. and guess what he did :mrgreen: :mrgreen: untimed drilling for LG :mrgreen: :mrgreen: haha he got a mid 170's score and ended up with a full tuition ride in the T13.

I know his exp is just an anecdote, along with everyone else I know, but I know.. A LOT of people who have taken this test, and not one of them didn't do drilling.. haha

for the most part though, for most people, a diagnostic literally just says "HEY YOU NEED TO STUDY" which you already freakin knew.

but idk, everyone is different I guess? there's def a select few who truly don't need to drill as hard and only take PTs and BR because they're already decent at the test right off the bat. and to those individuals, I kneel and give them my first born.
Ok, I know this thread is a text wall by now, but I want to clear this up. I posted 2 or 3 times about not spending time practicing sections untimed, but looks like what I was saying was not clear. The Manhattan books are hundreds of pages full of drills, mostly real LSAT Qs, so, in the context that I said tons of untimed practice is a waste, you're drilling, nailing accuracy, and learning the concepts for like 2 months before you start timed PT sections. Also, if you're doing the 7sage blind review method, you are tackling both accuracy and the 35min timing in each practice section. So, I'm not sure why that's "lazy / ignorant" or neglecting accuracy or never doing drills. Felt like I should pop back in to ease the flurry and bafflement around that assertion.

On the diagnostic point, I found it helpful to identify weaknesses a bit more specifically, and get a glimpse into taking a tough test for several hours nonstop, but yes, it should not be considered a very accurate measure of your score range. And hey, the lower it is, the more you can brag about your improvement jump :). Happy studying now that the holidays are about over!

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:27 pm

^ Thank you for the clarification.

I have a four-day weekend coming up. I’ll be be finishing up drilling LG untimed and then I’ll start drilling LG from PTs 21-40 timed. (It should only take me about two days to re-drill LG from PTs 1-20 timed ten times each? I need to do that before beginning PTs 21-40.) I should be starting with untimed LR drilling next week as well. I’ll be drilling by type. I’m not sure if I should start drilling RC every other day as well. Any suggestions? RC will be my toughest section and I want to start on it ASAP.

(I’ve been solely focusing on LG drilling for about a month or so now, FYI.)
Last edited by olympia on Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:02 pm

olympia wrote:^ Thank you for the clarification.

I have a four-day weekend coming up. I’ll be be finishing up drilling LG untimed and then I’ll start drilling LG from PTs 21-40 timed. (It should only take me about 2 days to re-drill LG from PTs 1-20 timed ten times each? I need to do that before beginning PTs 21-40.) I should be starting with untimed LR drilling next week as well. I’ll be drilling by type. I’m not sure if I should start drilling RC every other day as well. Any suggestions? RC will be my toughest section and I want to start on it ASAP.

You're moving hella fast, why don't you take the February LSAT?

olympia

New

Post by olympia » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:11 pm

ThaBlackLord wrote:
olympia wrote:^ Thank you for the clarification.

I have a four-day weekend coming up. I’ll be be finishing up drilling LG untimed and then I’ll start drilling LG from PTs 21-40 timed. (It should only take me about 2 days to re-drill LG from PTs 1-20 timed ten times each? I need to do that before beginning PTs 21-40.) I should be starting with untimed LR drilling next week as well. I’ll be drilling by type. I’m not sure if I should start drilling RC every other day as well. Any suggestions? RC will be my toughest section and I want to start on it ASAP.

You're moving hella fast, why don't you take the February LSAT?
I won’t be ready. With my GPA, I need a 173+. I want to make sure I have this test down 105% before taking it. I work full-time and I intern during the weekends, so I definitely won’t be ready by February time-wise, and I want to take 20+ timed PTs before the actual test.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”