Manhattan prep for LR - Must have? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eraserhead

New

Manhattan prep for LR - Must have?

Post by eraserhead » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Testing in Feb. Need to improve on LR to approach 170.
Currently getting around -10 (I think I need to work on some of my fundamentals, as pointed out by a tutor on here)

So far for LR I've used:
Powerscore LR Bible
LSAT Trainer

Is it worth purchasing the manhattan LR book at this point? Is it going to contribute anything outside of what the Powerscore bible does for LR? I find the explanations on their forum for answers I miss pretty helpful. I've also read that they have advice for approaching different question types for LR that powerscore/trainer doesn't. Have many of you found this to be the case?

I'll be reviewing the bible and trainer, so don't want to add a third book if it's not going to help. Only have two months. If I can bring LR down to even -7/-8 on average overall I can hit 170+. Thank you.

Platopus

Gold

Re: Manhattan prep for LR - Must have?

Post by Platopus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:21 pm

I wish I started with the Manhattan book. I figured the Trainer would be enough but it never clicked for me in the way that Manhattan did. I'd definitely recommend it especially if it's super tough for you. Helped me go from -10/-11 a section to -4 and on occasion -2 :D

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:I wish I started with the Manhattan book. I figured the Trainer would be enough but it never clicked for me in the way that Manhattan did. I'd definitely recommend it especially if it's super tough for you. Helped me go from -10/-11 a section to -4 and on occasion -2 :D
Thank you! I'm not at -10 per section but I am at -10 overall. I have two months. Think it's enough time? I'll be dedicating a few hours a day everyday. Despite my full time job so here is to hoping. I just ordered the Manhattan lr strategy guide right now!
Last edited by eraserhead on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Platopus wrote:IMO its pretty helpful, and in ways Powerscore is not.
Thanks! Just bought it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:54 pm

Yeah, I agree with the above. I think it's the best LR book on the market.

Glad to hear you picked it up :) MLSAT also has a great RC book, too.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Agree 180%. The combo of the Trainer and MH LR (MH being your main resource for LR) i think explains it in a much more clear way that helps you change your thought process and build a skillset that is necessary to perform well in LR. I found the Bible to be more gimmiky and not organized as well.

If i were to do it again, the only diff LR prep I would consider changing is maybe to 7sage because of the videos. I jsut found the LG ones to be so helpful I think that JY would do a great job with it. Someone with experience with 7sage and MH can maybe weigh these against each other (i cant), but might be something worth looking into.

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:Yeah, I agree with the above. I think it's the best LR book on the market.

Glad to hear you picked it up :) MLSAT also has a great RC book, too.
Thanks! I usually get a minimum of -6 on RC and that's on a good day but usually go -0 in LG and it allows me to average PT at around 165. Since I have two months I'm going to focus on LR with manhattan but I think using the trainer for rc should be pretty solid. I neglected rc in my prep but remember the trainer being helpful. I think for rc it's about finding an overall approach strategy that works for you. So difficult to improve in that area.

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:38 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Agree 180%. The combo of the Trainer and MH LR (MH being your main resource for LR) i think explains it in a much more clear way that helps you change your thought process and build a skillset that is necessary to perform well in LR. I found the Bible to be more gimmiky and not organized as well.

If i were to do it again, the only diff LR prep I would consider changing is maybe to 7sage because of the videos. I jsut found the LG ones to be so helpful I think that JY would do a great job with it. Someone with experience with 7sage and MH can maybe weigh these against each other (i cant), but might be something worth looking into.
Thanks! I actually started watching the 7S videos for LG at the start of my prep and they've saved me. I would recommend that everyone watches the explanations for any game they don't go -0 for in less than 5 minutes. I now am able to do the games 7S lists as target 10 minute games in 5 minutes. Drill drill drill. I'm ordering the ace the lsat book because a lot of 180ers have said that they relied on being able to complete those 4 game sections in 35 minutes as their LG prep. Since the sections are full of difficult games. I think I'm going that route just to make sure I don't find a way to screw up with an off/weird LG on test day.

I tried 7S for LR and it honestly just didn't click for me. But there isn't a better source for LG imo.

From what I've gathered it sounds like the best for each section type is:

Lsat trainer for RC
Manhattan prep for LR
7S for LG

And the PS bibles for each just as a foundational run through. Especially for LG. I learned a lot with ps LG at the beginning.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:40 pm

eraserhead wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Thanks! I actually started watching the 7S videos for LG at the start of my prep and they've saved me. I would recommend that everyone watches the explanations for any game they don't go -0 for in less than 5 minutes. I now am able to do the games 7S lists as target 10 minute games in 5 minutes. Drill drill drill. I'm ordering the ace the lsat book because a lot of 180ers have said that they relied on being able to complete those 4 game sections in 35 minutes as their LG prep. Since the sections are full of difficult games. I think I'm going that route just to make sure I don't find a way to screw up with an off/weird LG on test day.

I tried 7S for LR and it honestly just didn't click for me. But there isn't a better source for LG imo.

From what I've gathered it sounds like the best for each section type is:

Lsat trainer for RC
Manhattan prep for LR
7S for LG

And the PS bibles for each just as a foundational run through. Especially for LG. I learned a lot with ps LG at the beginning.
Oh okay since you have 7sage experience then there you go! In that case, I most definitely agree with this. If you dont have a 7sage account i also found MH LG to be helpful for a foundation, but got most of my LG skill from fool-proofing with 7sage videos and drilling by type

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:

Oh okay since you have 7sage experience then there you go! In that case, I most definitely agree with this. If you dont have a 7sage account i also found MH LG to be helpful for a foundation, but got most of my LG skill from fool-proofing with 7sage videos and drilling by type
That's one thing I haven't done yet. Drill LGs by type. Do you know where I can find a list of logic games by type? Beyond just the initial split of ordering vs. sequencing?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm

eraserhead wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:

That's one thing I haven't done yet. Drill LGs by type. Do you know where I can find a list of logic games by type? Beyond just the initial split of ordering vs. sequencing?
There are lists somewhere on this forum and on the web in which you can organize yourself. Also Powerscore has a book that does this (prob best replacement for Cambridge packs since those dont exist anymore)

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 pm

+1

Although I think Powerscore's books are overall better than Manhattan Prep's, I also think that Manhattan Prep's books excel in certain areas where Powerscore's fail.

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:49 am

JazzOne wrote:
+1

Although I think Powerscore's books are overall better than Manhattan Prep's, I also think that Manhattan Prep's books excel in certain areas where Powerscore's fail.
Can you elaborate? I’m curious about this too. Also- I’m another advocate for 7sage- so far it’s been my personal favorite.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Chaimthegreat wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
+1

Can you elaborate? I’m curious about this too. Also- I’m another advocate for 7sage- so far it’s been my personal favorite.
When I read the Powerscore books, I had already been teaching LSAT for a decade. And I'll have to admit that I learned some new things. Those books are very well written and extremely detailed. But I think that's also the problem with Powerscore's books. They are perhaps too detailed. They are good books for instructors, not necessarily for test takers.

On the other hand, Manhattan Prep cuts right to the chase. They don't try to explain esoteric concepts, such as the subtle distinction between attackers and defenders (or whatever Powerscore's language is for those highly nuanced answer choices). Instead, Manhattan Prep gives you a solid overview and an effective strategy, and you can finish the whole book in less than a week.

Also, Manhattan Prep uses this balance scale analogy to help you visualize RC passages. My philosophy of test prep emphasizes visual strategies (http://news.berkeley.edu/2012/08/22/int ... structure/), so Manhattan Prep gets another +1 from me on that front.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”