Testmasters - Renewing Online Materials Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSATWiz.com

Silver

Testmasters - Renewing Online Materials

Post by LSATWiz.com » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am

I am working with about a half dozen LSAT students who formerly took a Testmasters course. I generally have people learn questions by question type, and utilizing their materials requires a $700 fee. I was wondering if anyone has experience negotiating with Testmasters to possibly reduce this fee.

A lot of these students have high 170's potential, and it's a little unfair that Testmasters is the one course that requires students to pay to utilize their course books after they've spent about $2k on a course. I'm presuming the logic is to maximize profits at the students' expense, which is a unique business strategy but perhaps they're open to negotiations?

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Re: Testmasters - Renewing Online Materials

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 am

UBETutoring wrote:I am working with about a half dozen LSAT students who formerly took a Testmasters course. I generally have people learn questions by question type, and utilizing their materials requires a $700 fee. I was wondering if anyone has experience negotiating with Testmasters to possibly reduce this fee.

A lot of these students have high 170's potential, and it's a little unfair that Testmasters is the one course that requires students to pay to utilize their course books after they've spent about $2k on a course. I'm presuming the logic is to maximize profits at the students' expense, which is a unique business strategy but perhaps they're open to negotiations?
Interesting you note this. I took a Blueprint course and, after paying $2k for that course, students still had to pay a monthly subscription fee to have access to the questions/material/etc. The reasoning was that LSAC charges a licensing fee, and this is how BP spreads the cost--figured it was worth noting. Also maximizing profit at the students' expense is nota unique business strategy; hell it might be the MO of the whole academic enterprise tbh.

As for your actual ask, I don't see why you don't ask if they're open to negotiations. You could push the "broke college student" angle, but I'm not experienced with these sorts of things.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: Testmasters - Renewing Online Materials

Post by LSATWiz.com » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:02 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:I am working with about a half dozen LSAT students who formerly took a Testmasters course. I generally have people learn questions by question type, and utilizing their materials requires a $700 fee. I was wondering if anyone has experience negotiating with Testmasters to possibly reduce this fee.

Interesting you note this. I took a Blueprint course and, after paying $2k for that course, students still had to pay a monthly subscription fee to have access to the questions/material/etc. The reasoning was that LSAC charges a licensing fee, and this is how BP spreads the cost--figured it was worth noting. Also maximizing profit at the students' expense is nota unique business strategy; hell it might be the MO of the whole academic enterprise tbh.

As for your actual ask, I don't see why you don't ask if they're open to negotiations. You could push the "broke college student" angle, but I'm not experienced with these sorts of things.
The cost isn't $700 per. The ethical thing to do would be to market this as a distinction, because not every test prep company has this philosophy and they arguably have an obligation to bring this up before students sign up as it's a material distinction b/w them and other companies. Just like they advertise their top 1% scoring instructors, they should advertise their exploit previous students policy.

But on the negotiation front, any previous experience would be appreciated so that I can relay successful strategies to people in the future. Thank you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”