The Official February 2018 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

How long have you been studying for Feb.?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 pm

I'd rather not say
17%
About to start
33%
1 month
No votes
2-3 months
No votes
4+ months
25%
So long I'm expecting a study baby come Feb. 10th
25%

Total votes: 12

paperworkjim

New

Re: The Official February 2018 Study Group

Post by paperworkjim » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:Checking in. Was hoping to get some advise from you guys. I hit a 173 PT average before December with anywhere from -1 to -4 in LG each time. Really want to get LG to -0. Shoud I do games for the next couple days/week or do a PT tomorrow? I just don't want to get rusty on RC/LR, but I also don't want to waste PTs if I'm still hemmoraghing points on LG. Last time I took a PT was last Monday. Thanks team!!
How are you approaching this attack to get games to -0? Sounds like you're going to be cannibalizing tests to practice so you can use the LR/RC for those to drill and keep sharp and also as a 5th section to toss in your first three when you do an actual PT. How many tests do you have untouched. What are the oldest test you have used before but could potentially redo for practicing?
Thanks for answering Experiment!! I actually wasn't planning on cannibalizing tests. Was planning on re-doing 1-35 and doing 40-50, 58-59, 61, 62, 64, 65, 72-74, 76, 78, 79, 81. Essentially -- all the tests I have already done. I would hope that would get me down to being expert at games.

Those are all the games I have done. Essentially, have about 5-6 in the 70s and 80s. Most of the 60s and 50s, and none of the 40s left. I am worried mostly about wasting in the 70s and 80s, but I want the PTs to be a gauge of my actual ability. What do you think is the best path going forward? Is foolproofing the above games hte best methods? I have done 1-35 before, but for some reason it didn't stick with me as well as others, so I am giving it another go. Did you do anything else to get to -0?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 pm

paperworkjim wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:Checking in. Was hoping to get some advise from you guys. I hit a 173 PT average before December with anywhere from -1 to -4 in LG each time. Really want to get LG to -0. Shoud I do games for the next couple days/week or do a PT tomorrow? I just don't want to get rusty on RC/LR, but I also don't want to waste PTs if I'm still hemmoraghing points on LG. Last time I took a PT was last Monday. Thanks team!!
How are you approaching this attack to get games to -0? Sounds like you're going to be cannibalizing tests to practice so you can use the LR/RC for those to drill and keep sharp and also as a 5th section to toss in your first three when you do an actual PT. How many tests do you have untouched. What are the oldest test you have used before but could potentially redo for practicing?
Thanks for answering Experiment!! I actually wasn't planning on cannibalizing tests. Was planning on re-doing 1-35 and doing 40-50, 58-59, 61, 62, 64, 65, 72-74, 76, 78, 79, 81. Essentially -- all the tests I have already done. I would hope that would get me down to being expert at games.

Those are all the games I have done. Essentially, have about 5-6 in the 70s and 80s. Most of the 60s and 50s, and none of the 40s left. I am worried mostly about wasting in the 70s and 80s, but I want the PTs to be a gauge of my actual ability. What do you think is the best path going forward? Is foolproofing the above games hte best methods? I have done 1-35 before, but for some reason it didn't stick with me as well as others, so I am giving it another go. Did you do anything else to get to -0?
To be honest, games was my strongest point so I started going -0 after understanding what the major game types were and how to attack them. Just confirming, you're planning on redoing all of those tests for all sections in 2 months, :shock: ,or just the games?

paperworkjim

New

Post by paperworkjim » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

To be honest, games was my strongest point so I started going -0 after understanding what the major game types were and how to attack them. Just confirming, you're planning on redoing all of those tests for all sections in 2 months, :shock: ,or just the games?
Just the games, haha! Can any mere mortals other than Experiment chime in?

abella123

New

Post by abella123 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi guys!
I was registered to take the Dec lsat, but i decided to opt out before the date because I knew I wasn't ready. I've been studying since October and am studying very hard to kill it in February. All of my law school applications here in Canada depend on it including my dream school. I'm hoping to find some helpful advice on this website. Good luck to all!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 pm

paperworkjim wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

Ah, so as far as games go, I would use 1-40 for perfection. If you want to practice LR/RC here and there, you can use the sections from those tests. What I did for June- December was for July-Sept I took a test in the 50's and did a section each day to time and then BRed it untimed. Once October came around, I did 8 full PTs from 69-82, did some in my prep for June, and used tests 61-69 for drilling and 5th sections.

For the LGs, go through them and any that you miss a question in, mark to redo a few days later. Continue with this cycle till you get to perfect, there's some residual memory but remembering enough about 160 games to be able to be perfect by memory is pretty tough. If you want more challenges, add 40-50 LGs for new material and leave the more recent PT's, dividing up by 1-2 per week, to get realistic expectations. I only did 1 PT per week on Saturdays at the same time as the test. During the week, I work full time, I just drilled 1-2 sections per day to time and BRed them for October and November with Sundays and Wednesdays off from new material. Was also putting together my apps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:33 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
paperworkjim wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

Ah, so as far as games go, I would use 1-40 for perfection. If you want to practice LR/RC here and there, you can use the sections from those tests. What I did for June- December was for July-Sept I took a test in the 50's and did a section each day to time and then BRed it untimed. Once October came around, I did 8 full PTs from 69-82, did some in my prep for June, and used tests 61-69 for drilling and 5th sections.

For the LGs, go through them and any that you miss a question in, mark to redo a few days later. Continue with this cycle till you get to perfect, there's some residual memory but remembering enough about 160 games to be able to be perfect by memory is pretty tough. If you want more challenges, add 40-50 LGs for new material and leave the more recent PT's, dividing up by 1-2 per week, to get realistic expectations. I only did 1 PT per week on Saturdays at the same time as the test. During the week, I work full time, I just drilled 1-2 sections per day to time and BRed them for October and November with Sundays and Wednesdays off from new material. Was also putting together my apps.
Hey this exchange is super helpful. I'm usually -0 games, but having taken the lsat for the first time in december, I realized that there's an opportunity to still screw up royally and mess up on games. What do you think about voyager's advice on LG? (Open question for everyone). He posted that purchasing the Ace the Lsat book for logic games was what really helped him, because the games in there were tougher than typical lsat logic games. He drilled that book over and over until he finished all 4 games in a section on time. I think that could be a good strategy to make sure you're not getting hung up in terms of timing during test day.

Experiment, I realize I should have posted my question in this thread instead of the waiting thread for DEC. But I just replied to you on there. We can move the conversation here, it would probably be more useful to those testing in February.

Here is what I wrote:
Never heard of the 7sage trainer but I will check it out. Thanks. Just realized that they have the actual lsat scantron available (and I just bought some off of amazon). Nice. I use Powerscore's tracker because it tells me the type of question I got wrong and the # of people that got it wrong on the actual tests (the difficulty level).

Any advice on whether I need to add any LR material to improve on LR ? (currently getting around -10). Is the manhattan lsat book a must have for people that have used trainer/powerscore?

Also, would you recommend doing timed LR sections for drilling from PT 1-40? I have the 10 new actuals for prep tests, but maybe I should take more than 10 between now and february.

For anyone that is in a similar situation as me, here is my study plan from now to Feb:

- Random LR sections timed (3-4 per week, maybe more?) + full blind review
- drill question types I get wrong using kaplan mastery grouping (I'd love any tips on how to most effectively drill)
- Going to go through the LSAT trainer again and do the accompanying drills from PT 62-71 (even though I've done all those PTs)
- I have the newest 10 actual books that I haven't touched yet for fresh PTs, i'll do one a week leading up to February
- Random RC sections (2-3 per week) + full blind review (and of course review RC through the trainer since I'll go through the entire trainer)
- Ace the lsat logic games book-- going to go through that and do random games repeatedly just to make sure timing will not be an issue for the test

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Is there a place where we can download all the logic games from PT 1-50? I have PDFs for all of the PTs but if I can avoid having to go through each PT to print the LG section for each one-- that'd be amazing.

scrum93

New

Post by scrum93 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:33 am

Checking in. Just started studying to take June exam for the 2018 admission cycle.

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 am

I might be here with you all.. but I don’t want to be. Scored a 172 in September but worried it won’t be good enough as a splitter and thought this might help get me off waitlists and/or negotiate $$

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:36 am

eraserhead wrote:
Experiment, I realize I should have posted my question in this thread instead of the waiting thread for DEC. But I just replied to you on there. We can move the conversation here, it would probably be more useful to those testing in February.

Here is what I wrote:
Never heard of the 7sage trainer but I will check it out. Thanks. Just realized that they have the actual lsat scantron available (and I just bought some off of amazon). Nice. I use Powerscore's tracker because it tells me the type of question I got wrong and the # of people that got it wrong on the actual tests (the difficulty level).

Any advice on whether I need to add any LR material to improve on LR ? (currently getting around -10). Is the manhattan lsat book a must have for people that have used trainer/powerscore?

Also, would you recommend doing timed LR sections for drilling from PT 1-40? I have the 10 new actuals for prep tests, but maybe I should take more than 10 between now and february.

For anyone that is in a similar situation as me, here is my study plan from now to Feb:

- Random LR sections timed (3-4 per week, maybe more?) + full blind review
- drill question types I get wrong using kaplan mastery grouping (I'd love any tips on how to most effectively drill)
- Going to go through the LSAT trainer again and do the accompanying drills from PT 62-71 (even though I've done all those PTs)
- I have the newest 10 actual books that I haven't touched yet for fresh PTs, i'll do one a week leading up to February
- Random RC sections (2-3 per week) + full blind review (and of course review RC through the trainer since I'll go through the entire trainer)
- Ace the lsat logic games book-- going to go through that and do random games repeatedly just to make sure timing will not be an issue for the test
So the I don't know anything about the PS tracker. Everyone loves 7sage because you can access it online and enter things via their mobile phone app. The big thing is that it can do analysis across multiple tests to identify trends, including question type/difficulty/and the % of people that selected each answer, that may not be seen on just one test alone and you can tell it to do the last 2/3/5/all tests to customize the analysis. The analysis is only available through the website login, not their app.

I had the PS books but abandoned them for the prep course I took. It was similar to the trainer, I read through the trainer after my June test, so it didn't really help me.

1-40 drilling for now would work for just the basics but keep in mind that while the foundation is the same, the questions in recent tests are a bit different and I would recommend drilling sections from 50+ during January so that you're used to the change.

King of the North

Bronze

Post by King of the North » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Checking in.

Was scheduled to take in Dec. but wasn't Pt'ing in the range that I wanted to so I moved it to Feb.

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
test
So the I don't know anything about the PS tracker. Everyone loves 7sage because you can access it online and enter things via their mobile phone app. The big thing is that it can do analysis across multiple tests to identify trends, including question type/difficulty/and the % of people that selected each answer, that may not be seen on just one test alone and you can tell it to do the last 2/3/5/all tests to customize the analysis. The analysis is only available through the website login, not their app.

I had the PS books but abandoned them for the prep course I took. It was similar to the trainer, I read through the trainer after my June test, so it didn't really help me.

1-40 drilling for now would work for just the basics but keep in mind that while the foundation is the same, the questions in recent tests are a bit different and I would recommend drilling sections from 50+ during January so that you're used to the change.
Thanks! I think I'm going to use 1-40 for LR for timed tests/review. But I'm going to drill with the trainer set from 52-61 + 61-72 too. Appreciate the insight! What prep course did you take? I'm really contemplating whether I should buy the manhattan LR book.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:37 pm

eraserhead wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
eraserhead wrote:
test

Thanks! I think I'm going to use 1-40 for LR for timed tests/review. But I'm going to drill with the trainer set from 52-61 + 61-72 too. Appreciate the insight! What prep course did you take? I'm really contemplating whether I should buy the manhattan LR book.
It was a local course, so unless you live in the DC Metro area, can't recommend it for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paperworkjim

New

Post by paperworkjim » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Tha fuck. Another 168-169 test range from an average of 173. Not sure whether I am burning out or this reveals far larger problems in my LSAT understanding, but I thought I nailed this so this does not bode well. The bigger problem is that I just took a bit of a break from PTing. What do you guys think, have you done anything when you've seen a big score drop?

PT 56 -- 168
LG: -1
LR1: -6 (tha fuck?)
LG2: -4 (tha fuck?)
RC: -2

Before the last two tests I took (169 on PT 81), I had a 173 (PT 79), 175 (PT 78), 175 (PT 73), and 173 (PT 76), so really not sure what's going on. Any advice would be appreciated.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:29 pm

paperworkjim wrote:Tha fuck. Another 168-169 test range from an average of 173. Not sure whether I am burning out or this reveals far larger problems in my LSAT understanding, but I thought I nailed this so this does not bode well. The bigger problem is that I just took a bit of a break from PTing. What do you guys think, have you done anything when you've seen a big score drop?

PT 56 -- 168

Before the last two tests I took (169 on PT 81), I had a 173 (PT 79), 175 (PT 78), 175 (PT 73), and 173 (PT 76), so really not sure what's going on. Any advice would be appreciated.
How often are you PTing?

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:55 pm

paperworkjim wrote:Tha fuck. Another 168-169 test range from an average of 173. Not sure whether I am burning out or this reveals far larger problems in my LSAT understanding, but I thought I nailed this so this does not bode well. The bigger problem is that I just took a bit of a break from PTing. What do you guys think, have you done anything when you've seen a big score drop?

PT 56 -- 168

Since it seems your issue is in LR, it could be underconfidence and overthinking. I was prepping for so long ~2 weeks before DEC I sat down and it was like it was the first time I had ever seen a SA question when I rarely would get one wrong. IDK what it was. I took two days off and briefly re-reviewed the question type, drilled and then started PTing again as normal. Sometimes you get almost too comfortable in your ways but with unjustified confidence or the lack there-of for one reason or another and start overthinking. Take a step back and assess. Is it an apparent Q-type that youre suddenly getting wrong that didnt before? or a blanketed issue across all question types?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi, my name is Rigo and I'm an alcoholic retaking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paperworkjim

New

Post by paperworkjim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:

PT 56 -- 168

Since it seems your issue is in LR, it could be underconfidence and overthinking. I was prepping for so long ~2 weeks before DEC I sat down and it was like it was the first time I had ever seen a SA question when I rarely would get one wrong. IDK what it was. I took two days off and briefly re-reviewed the question type, drilled and then started PTing again as normal. Sometimes you get almost too comfortable in your ways but with unjustified confidence or the lack there-of for one reason or another and start overthinking. Take a step back and assess. Is it an apparent Q-type that youre suddenly getting wrong that didnt before? or a blanketed issue across all question types?
It's sortof blanketed but I think you are right. I am gonna just drill lightly and hit fundamentals. I think I am also severely burnt out. I've had three 30+ hour weeks and I work a full-time job (around 35 hours), so I just stopped studying for the lsat two days and will go back on Friday. Whenever your average is diving like that, I've told its usually burnout.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 pm

paperworkjim wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:

PT 56 -- 168

It's sortof blanketed but I think you are right. I am gonna just drill lightly and hit fundamentals. I think I am also severely burnt out. I've had three 30+ hour weeks and I work a full-time job (around 35 hours), so I just stopped studying for the lsat two days and will go back on Friday. Whenever your average is diving like that, I've told its usually burnout.
Yeah thats happened to me before. So yeah take a break and refresh the fundamentals with a bit of drilling to refresh and ease back into it. You'll be fine. meditating and workouts helps a ton with keeping clarity (if you dont do this already)

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Rigo wrote:Hi, my name is Rigo and I'm an alcoholic retaking.
:lol:

I'm feeling like a Christmas themed poll change. What do you guys think?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Barry do u really think you will need to retake, bro? u already have a good score from sept and I'm sure you improved for December! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Mikey wrote:Barry do u really think you will need to retake, bro? u already have a good score from sept and I'm sure you improved for December! :)
what round are you on now, mikey? damn

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Last edited by Mikey on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Mikey wrote: are you actually retaking? if so, I thought u had a good cycle already? :/
Had an alright cycle, but ultimately didn't pull the trigger. HYS waitlists have me chasing a pipe dream now. I want more T13 money anyways (my scholarships were decidedly meh due to a mediocre LSAT).

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Rigo wrote:
Mikey wrote: are you actually retaking? if so, I thought u had a good cycle already? :/
Had an alright cycle, but ultimately didn't pull the trigger. HYS waitlists have me chasing a pipe dream now. I want more T13 money anyways (my scholarships were decidedly meh due to a mediocre LSAT).
I see. I haven't even submitted all of my apps yet. I'm so behind on lots of my Why X essays ugh, but I'm not submitting until after the December scores come out anyways.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”