The Official February 2018 Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

How long have you been studying for Feb.?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 pm

I'd rather not say
17%
About to start
33%
1 month
No votes
2-3 months
No votes
4+ months
25%
So long I'm expecting a study baby come Feb. 10th
25%

Total votes: 12

Mikey

Platinum

Re: The Official February 2018 Study Group

Post by Mikey » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:23 pm

littlewing67 wrote:Good luck everyone!!!! <3
I realized today I made a bubbling mistake on the dec test :(

still debating if I should take feb or just say fuck it.. my score isn't terrible but without the mistake I would've been celebrating with you :(

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm checking in. Went down in Dec. after a 164 in September. I really want that 170 and I have room to improve - bombed LG after perfect scores for weeks. Already have some offers for this cycle, not sure if I will end up accepting an offer or taking a year and reapplying for c/o 2022. Anyone else using the Feb score for this cycle?

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:03 am

Did any of you December folks try to use the Perfect Score watch? I'm curious about whether it's going to be allowed in the future.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:28 am

sabraph wrote:I'm checking in. Went down in Dec. after a 164 in September. I really want that 170 and I have room to improve - bombed LG after perfect scores for weeks. Already have some offers for this cycle, not sure if I will end up accepting an offer or taking a year and reapplying for c/o 2022. Anyone else using the Feb score for this cycle?
I'm retaking for this cycle. UGH.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:18 am

239840 wrote:Did any of you December folks try to use the Perfect Score watch? I'm curious about whether it's going to be allowed in the future.
Yes i used it. Although I had initial troubles because of an uneducated proctor who thought it was an Apple Watch (lmao not joking), its allowed. The LSAC has specifically told ppl its allowed. Unfortunate thing is proctors are mostly uneducated in this respect and don't understand truly whats allowed and what isnt. be prepared to explain haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:02 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
239840 wrote:Did any of you December folks try to use the Perfect Score watch? I'm curious about whether it's going to be allowed in the future.
Yes i used it. Although I had initial troubles because of an uneducated proctor who thought it was an Apple Watch (lmao not joking), its allowed. The LSAC has specifically told ppl its allowed. Unfortunate thing is proctors are mostly uneducated in this respect and don't understand truly whats allowed and what isnt. be prepared to explain haha
Get an email confirmation and print it out if you're going to do that.

I just use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J ... UTF8&psc=1
twist the dial right before you start and good to go.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:54 am

I was September, not December, but my proctor didn't even look at people's watches.

Carly Jo

New

Post by Carly Jo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:57 pm

I made my own watch for Dec. I got a big, ugly casio watch-the men's watches are the biggest, that had an adjustable bevel. I then took nail polish and a super fine paint brush and painted "sections" onto the bevel at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 time, and I blacked out the bevel from 35-60. Between each section it only took literally a second to twist the bevel back to the current start time again. I didn't want to chance my watch not being allowed and that watch was like 10$ on amazon. It worked really well.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Ew 45 days whaaaaat

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Rigo wrote:Ew 45 days whaaaaat
Can't be over soon enough.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:33 pm

NEW POLL !

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:38 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:NEW POLL !
I think you need to get a reset from the mods

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:58 pm

It sucks that the Perfect Score watch doesn't really have a timer function, though. Since you're still having to reset the hand with the crown each section, the only real advantage it seems to have over, say, a Casio watch with a bezel is the watch face. I suppose it might provide an extra degree of focus not having irrelevant information on your watch that you have to filter out. Just having the 0-35 mins and an estimate of how much time you should spend on a passage or game is nice. The 180 Watch was a godsend... why can't we have nice things??!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:59 pm

Rigo wrote:Ew 45 days whaaaaat
Is that really all the time that's left? Wow.

Carly Jo

New

Post by Carly Jo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:26 pm

239840 wrote:It sucks that the Perfect Score watch doesn't really have a timer function, though. Since you're still having to reset the hand with the crown each section, the only real advantage it seems to have over, say, a Casio watch with a bezel is the watch face. I suppose it might provide an extra degree of focus not having irrelevant information on your watch that you have to filter out. Just having the 0-35 mins and an estimate of how much time you should spend on a passage or game is nice. The 180 Watch was a godsend... why can't we have nice things??!
The notches for each quarter (every 8.75 mins) really helped. I practiced with it and I could glance at it and see I was in light blue first zone, then the next zone was a different color, etc. I was less concerned with the exact time and more concerned with completing passage 1 in blue, 2 in purple, etc... Doing it again, I will probably paint the sections more like 8,8,9,10. I just wanted something consistent and something for sure allowed. Some of the proctors were interesting human beings as they went through bags, and many students ditched things from their bag outside the room including some watches. Maybe this time I will take my trust casio and an lsat watch, to see if it gets through inspection.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Rigo wrote:
fu@k, is it working now?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:is it working now?
Now it is

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Carly Jo

New

Post by Carly Jo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Barry grandpapy wrote:
Rigo wrote:
fu@k, is it working now?
yep!

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Thank you :D

Carly Jo

New

Post by Carly Jo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:54 pm

How is everyone studying between now and Feb test? Specifically retakers, what sort of schedule are you following and what materials are you using? How much is "too much"? I'm using 7sage for LG, though I am very strong on LG and went -1 on Dec test (stupid mistake), normally go -0 or -1. So more maintenance and keeping up timing with harder games. Trying Manhattan for RC which is my worst section, and the bible for LR. I'm going to review question types and fundamentals for about 20 days doing drills and untimed sections each day, then use the last 25 days for full tests every other day and blind review. I'm decent at LR, and generally miss something because I misread, went too fast, or stubbornly disagreed with the answer :-) RC is by far my worst section. I'm planning on doing like 8 passages a day, broken up across the day at first, then as timed sections. I've done a decent chunk of them, but that will include doing every passage available. I am a slow reader in RC for some reason, but generally do well on what I get through. I finished all of the other sections early, didn't make it to the final passage in Dec. I had always finished RC sections before that, so I was pretty annoyed I dropped the ball in Dec. Pretty sure I psyched myself out and the more I stressed about time the slower I went. Ugh.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Is this from when we decided to take Feb or when we started to study in general?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Is this from when we decided to take Feb or when we started to study in general?
In general!

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:22 pm

Carly Jo wrote:How is everyone studying between now and Feb test? Specifically retakers, what sort of schedule are you following and what materials are you using? How much is "too much"? I'm using 7sage for LG, though I am very strong on LG and went -1 on Dec test (stupid mistake), normally go -0 or -1. So more maintenance and keeping up timing with harder games. Trying Manhattan for RC which is my worst section, and the bible for LR. I'm going to review question types and fundamentals for about 20 days doing drills and untimed sections each day, then use the last 25 days for full tests every other day and blind review. I'm decent at LR, and generally miss something because I misread, went too fast, or stubbornly disagreed with the answer :-) RC is by far my worst section. I'm planning on doing like 8 passages a day, broken up across the day at first, then as timed sections. I've done a decent chunk of them, but that will include doing every passage available. I am a slow reader in RC for some reason, but generally do well on what I get through. I finished all of the other sections early, didn't make it to the final passage in Dec. I had always finished RC sections before that, so I was pretty annoyed I dropped the ball in Dec. Pretty sure I psyched myself out and the more I stressed about time the slower I went. Ugh.
Personally, I'm doing:
M:5 section PT at 9am, BR and type up report on what I missed/originally circled in the evening
T:Drill one of LR/RC/LG and type up mistakes/circled questions in the evening
W:same as Monday
TH: same as Wednesday
F:same as Monday
S:Same as Wednesday
Su:whatever tf I want

I might scale this back to 2 full PTs a week if I sense burnout. As a retaker, I plan on spending a hell of a lot more time reviewing. Drilling and PTing without a good long review are in my opinion, and personal experience after Dec., useless. At this point, idk how much there is to be gained from reading any prep books. I would personally say the rank of bang for your buck per hour of studying if you are retaking would be: reviewing/BRing a PT (which should probably take even longer than taking the stupid thing), drilling/PTing, with rereading old study books as the least helpful (I don't see how any book helps much for a person already in the mid 160s since it's pretty fundamental stuff).

That's my opinion, but I'm welcome to other people's thoughts. I wanted to add that you might consider taking PTs in uncomfortable or loud public places. For my December test, the room's fire alarm was low on battery so the damn thing kept beeping the entire time. You really don't know wtf can happen on test day, but it won't matter if you're prepared (which I wasn't).

Edit: wow wtf laptop

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Carly Jo wrote:How is everyone studying between now and Feb test? Specifically retakers, what sort of schedule are you following and what materials are you using? How much is "too much"? I'm using 7sage for LG, though I am very strong on LG and went -1 on Dec test (stupid mistake), normally go -0 or -1. So more maintenance and keeping up timing with harder games. Trying Manhattan for RC which is my worst section, and the bible for LR. I'm going to review question types and fundamentals for about 20 days doing drills and untimed sections each day, then use the last 25 days for full tests every other day and blind review. I'm decent at LR, and generally miss something because I misread, went too fast, or stubbornly disagreed with the answer :-) RC is by far my worst section. I'm planning on doing like 8 passages a day, broken up across the day at first, then as timed sections. I've done a decent chunk of them, but that will include doing every passage available. I am a slow reader in RC for some reason, but generally do well on what I get through. I finished all of the other sections early, didn't make it to the final passage in Dec. I had always finished RC sections before that, so I was pretty annoyed I dropped the ball in Dec. Pretty sure I psyched myself out and the more I stressed about time the slower I went. Ugh.
M: Drill 1 LR and LG then BR
T: Drill 1 LR and RC then BR
W: Off
Th: Drill 1 LR and LG then BR
F: Drill 1 LR and RC then BR
Sat: Full 5 section PT at the same time as the test, maybe BR later in the day
Sun: Finish BR of PT/session with tutor as needed and then take the rest of the day off

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Carly Jo wrote:How is everyone studying between now and Feb test? Specifically retakers, what sort of schedule are you following and what materials are you using?
OK, here we go.

My diagnostic was a 156. Timing and stamina were not issues for me during early PTing.

Here are my LSAT breakdowns for S'17, & D'17:

Sept '17- 164
LR -6
LG -0 (this was my first perfect LG but has been consistent in PTs w/the exception of D'17)
LR -3
RC -10 (I blame the infamous Judges passage for this; I went -5 and lost time resulting in the -4 on P4)
P1 -1
P2 -0
Judges -5
P4 -4

S'17 - PTd more consistently for Sept but maybe did 8 (way too few I know but again stamina wasn't an issue), focused mainly on drilling LR, worked through LG untimed, did a few LG drills. Did a mini warm up before September and I think it helped a bit. S'17 was my breakthrough for LG, but S'17 was also where my lack of focus on RC came to bite me in the butt.

Dec '17- 157
RC -10 (I think this might be due to my need to warm up before starting the test; which has worked well for me in PTs)
P1 -1
P2 -2
P3 -3
P4 -4
LR -7
LG -8 (I bombed this section; I moved onto the second game and let myself get shaken up
LR -8
LG experimental (I finished with extra time and I am confident I went -0 to -2)

D'17 - I am really confused by RC, I drilled dozens of RC sections before D'17. Ideas? I also did not feel I did this poorly on LR and was confused, LR was previously my best section (before the S'17 LG breakthrough). Maybe the shift in focus onto RC resulted in some lost LR skills.

I'm planning to do two PTs a week. I'm also keeping a consistent schedule for sleeping as this worked well for me in September. I'm adding warm ups in before I take PTs and will be doing a warm up before the test. I'm also re-reading LR & LG Bibles.

LR- These are really inconsistent ranging from -3 to -8, my main strategy for these is drilling, PTing & reviewing. I do not have a consistent question type giving my trouble. A major issue I have is narrowing them down to two ac's and choosing the wrong one. Any one who has worked through this I would appreciate advice. As of now I'm planning to drill 4 sections once a week. I also have Fox's LR which I am planning to work through over the next two weeks.

LG- My school's library bought Fox's LG (which I would highly recommend; I used it consistently before S'17) I'm planning to work through the entire book over next week, and the following week. After that I'll be photocopying LGs and doing them whenever I have spare time, but also drilling 4 sections once a week.

RC- Apart from drilling 4 sections once a week, and PTing I'm unsure how to improve on this section. I think timing/consistency/confidence will help. The difficulty of the material is never an issue (thank you four semesters reading The Faerie Queene) as much as timing after a challenging passage is. I'd be interested to hear what's worked for others.

M: rest/schoolwork
T: drill RC & review
W: rest/schoolwork
R: drill LG & review
F: drill LR & review
S: 4 section PT & review
U: 4 section PT & review

Spring semester starts for me on 1/16, until then I will work most days 8-5.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”