2 month strategy. Feedback/help. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eraserhead

New

2 month strategy. Feedback/help.

Post by eraserhead » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:18 am

Retaking in February and need to improve on LR but want to focus on improving other sections too. Need to make sure I can finish all the sections on time under stress. I've done all the PS books except the full RC PS. Went through the trainer once without doing all the accompanying drills. Have the newest 10 actual book with fresh PTS.

Can anyone recommend a good strategy / outline from now to February?

I know I'll be doing individual timed LR sections multiple times a week with BR. One mistake I made was that most of my prep did not involve that many timed PTs. I've only done a handful timed.

I believe that will help tremendously with my timing since I struggle to finish LR on time.

I'm thinking about going through the trainer once more and this time doing the drills for LR RC and LG fully. Using 62-71 even though I've done those PTs. I can't waste new PTs by drilling with those questions.

I'm also going to try to additionally BR RC passages from the past after doing those timed.

Any recommendations? I was nervous during this lsat and I messed up. I could feel it through every section. I'd love tips on what anyone in a similar situation has done or anyone has done between 2-3 months left to study. I'm feeling lost without a plan and I'm trying to create one. Thanks!

Shorter recap:

Testing in Feb. Need to improve timing. Feedback on my plan:
-timed individual lr sections with blind review (4-5 sections per week from old PTs)
- going through the full lsat trainer again (completing accompanying drills through 62-71 even though I've done all those PTs)
- taking all the new PT72+ timed. Maybe one pet week until February.
-doing timed RC sections with BR (2-3 times per week)

AJordan

Silver

Re: 2 month strategy. Feedback/help.

Post by AJordan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Where were your PTs before you took the test? Are you ever missing LR questions in the first ten?

Both of your perceived problems, speed and anxiety, are correlated, anecdotally from my own LSAT students, with just not knowing the material. To be a 170+ LR scorer I'm a firm believer that you have to be good-great at two things: argument analysis and LR question type fundamentals. Given those two skills you'll get there unless you're just a painfully slow reader.

Not your tutor, obviously, but my advice would be to slow everything down until you're 100% confident in every move, every answer that you make. This includes learning to eliminate wrong answers in real time, completely engrossing yourself in your mistakes until you understand the exact nuance of why the answer you chose was wrong, and just generally learning how to get questions right. If you find yourself saying things in your review like, "I don't really know what I was thinking here" and "I just missed that ONE word" then you're absolutely going too fast. These are excuses that low scorers make when they try to justify why they are scoring there. Don't let yourself do it. Get questions right.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

eraserhead

New

Re: 2 month strategy. Feedback/help.

Post by eraserhead » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:12 pm

AJordan wrote:Where were your PTs before you took the test? Are you ever missing LR questions in the first ten?

Both of your perceived problems, speed and anxiety, are correlated, anecdotally from my own LSAT students, with just not knowing the material. To be a 170+ LR scorer I'm a firm believer that you have to be good-great at two things: argument analysis and LR question type fundamentals. Given those two skills you'll get there unless you're just a painfully slow reader.

Not your tutor, obviously, but my advice would be to slow everything down until you're 100% confident in every move, every answer that you make. This includes learning to eliminate wrong answers in real time, completely engrossing yourself in your mistakes until you understand the exact nuance of why the answer you chose was wrong, and just generally learning how to get questions right. If you find yourself saying things in your review like, "I don't really know what I was thinking here" and "I just missed that ONE word" then you're absolutely going too fast. These are excuses that low scorers make when they try to justify why they are scoring there. Don't let yourself do it. Get questions right.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I hope you won't mind but I PM'd you with more insight into my situation and I would love if you could provide some perspective on what I've outlined. You've brought up a few things that are making me question if I am as strong with understanding the fundamentals as I thought I was. And I'd love your help in evaluating my thought process/view. If you prefer to limit discussion to this thread, please let me know and I'll condense it to post here. Thank you again.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”