The Official December 2017 Waiters Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

How did you do??

177-180
9%
173-176
13%
170-172
6%
167-169
21%
164-166
16%
160-163
13%
155-159
12%
Below 155
10%

Total votes: 86

littlewing67

Silver

Re: The Official December 2017 Waiters Thread

Post by littlewing67 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm

I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here. People tend not to reply when I post new topics. Please feel free to PM me if it's best not to clog up this thread (and thank you in advance)

The DEC 2017 lsat was my first time sitting for the lsat and I bombed it (I froze up, went slow as hell, nervous through the entire thing, left like 20 questions unanswered- yup not even random bubbling. I screwed up). I PT around 164-166. I know that I'm going to be less nervous in FEB but I want to take the next two months to have a super rigid studying plan (daily studying. at least 3 hours). In my PTs, I usually go -0/-1 for LG (but I'm going to order the ace the lsat logic games book due to the voyager LG thread-- it makes sense to make sure no difficult/odd game is going to throw me off to lose that score) my rc varies anywhere from -6 to -11. It just depends on the passage. My LR is where I really need to improve. So far I routinely miss an average of -10 overall (my range is -9 to -12 overall) and still score 164/165. But improving on LR is going to give me a chance to maybe score even higher than my PT, but at worst maybe secure I score where I am scoring in my PTs right now.

I have Kaplan Mastery LR question types for drilling. I've done some of these but not all of these. I haven't actually used any Kaplan prep.
Most of the PTs I've taken throughout the entirety of my prep have been untimed (I know, I know). But the last 10 PTs I had done were timed. I used to review just by looking at what I got wrong and understanding why the wrong answer was wrong and the right answer right. But the last few PTs I did I did blind reviews where I tried to circle Qs I was unsure of and reviewed them for the right answer BEFORE looking at the answer choices.

Is there any other material for LR that you think is going to help? I usually don't miss any questions at the start of the test (1-10) but occasionally I will miss 1. I'm also pretty slow with LR. When I finish a section there's always 1 that is left unanswered.

So question for everyone that misses few in LR. What should I do in the next two months? so far the only LR material I've used:

- LR Bible
- LSAT Trainer

My plan for the next two months:
- Random LR sections timed (3-4 per week, maybe more?) + full blind review
- drill question types I get wrong using kaplan mastery grouping (I'd love any tips on how to most effectively drill)
- Going to go through the LSAT trainer again and do the accompanying drills from PT 62-71 (even though I've done all those PTs)
- I have the newest 10 actual books that I haven't touched yet for fresh PTs, i'll do one a week leading up to February
- Random RC sections (2-3 per week) + full blind review (and of course review RC through the trainer since I'll go through the entire trainer)
- Ace the lsat logic games book-- going to go through that and do random games repeatedly just to make sure timing will not be an issue for the test

Any recommendations guys?! Sorry this is a lot. I've never used the Manhattan LSAT book for LR. And hear that it made a huge difference for many people. Worth getting at this point? I appreciate the feedback.
Last edited by eraserhead on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 pm

littlewing67 wrote:I think the hardest part of working is making yourself look busy when you have nothing to do lol. At my old job my supervisor had a clear view of my computer so I was sooo bored 24/7.
Hahahah no one cares about me in my cubicle

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Read this from the TLS Why X guides and shoot me now
There is no guarantee that an addendum will get read even if you take the time write it. The admissions committee may not get past your PS, or they may not even get past your GPA/LSAT score, before deciding to place your application in the reject pile. Such is life, and life is sad sometimes, but there's nothing you can do to change that outcome. You could have the greatest reason for attending X Law School in the world, and your addendum may never get read.

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:15 pm

AvatarMeelo wrote:Read this from the TLS Why X guides and shoot me now
There is no guarantee that an addendum will get read even if you take the time write it. The admissions committee may not get past your PS, or they may not even get past your GPA/LSAT score, before deciding to place your application in the reject pile. Such is life, and life is sad sometimes, but there's nothing you can do to change that outcome. You could have the greatest reason for attending X Law School in the world, and your addendum may never get read.
:( I'm still sending a Why X to literally every school I'm applying to though bc I'm a shit applicant

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Is it weird that I’m not in any way worried that applications are way up? I mean at the end of the day it’s a numbers game and I don’t see a school that had an average LSAT/GPA of 168/3.65 all of the sudden go to like 172/3.9. There may be a SLIGHT bump in averages, but in my opinion the data for last cycle is still valid and can be used to gauge your chances at a school this cycle. Anyone care to comment?

Zero Hedge

New

Post by Zero Hedge » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 pm

MercW07 wrote:Is it weird that I’m not in any way worried that applications are way up? I mean at the end of the day it’s a numbers game and I don’t see a school that had an average LSAT/GPA of 168/3.65 all of the sudden go to like 172/3.9. There may be a SLIGHT bump in averages, but in my opinion the data for last cycle is still valid and can be used to gauge your chances at a school this cycle. Anyone care to comment?
All of this is very true. The big worry for people is for those who are on the fringe of being accepted to a certain school. That school that mylsn said you have a 40% chance of being accepted to starts to look like even more of a reach than it was yesterday. That scholarship dough is about to be spread out to many more applicants. Averages for schools aren't going to change markedly over the next year like you said, but this influx will certainly allow them to be pickier than they were in the past few years.

I would also like to add that this is almost certainly going to push back the application process for many schools. If I'm an admissions officer and I saw that data today, I'm much more likely to wait until that juicy population of December takers comes back with their scores before I admit some of the applicants that I'm on the fence about right now. They know there's going to be a hell of a lot more people at or above my medians that are about to roll through, and that's bound to give them pause like the stagnant applicant populations of years past has not. That doesn't necessarily help/hurt us December takers, it just means more headaches and waiting for those who are already refreshing their status checkers on their apps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:06 pm

eraserhead wrote:
- drill question types I get wrong using kaplan mastery grouping (I'd love any tips on how to most effectively drill)
- Going to go through the LSAT trainer again and do the accompanying drills from PT 62-71 (even though I've done all those PTs)
- I have the newest 10 actual books that I haven't touched yet for fresh PTs, i'll do one a week leading up to February
- Random RC sections (2-3 per week) + full blind review (and of course review RC through the trainer since I'll go through the entire trainer)
- Ace the lsat logic games book-- going to go through that and do random games repeatedly just to make sure timing will not be an issue for the test

Any recommendations guys?! Sorry this is a lot. I've never used the Manhattan LSAT book for LR. And hear that it made a huge difference for many people. Worth getting at this point? I appreciate the feedback.

Sounds like you're pretty solid on your plan. If you're not using the 7sage tracker, start using it.

sabraph

Bronze

Post by sabraph » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Am I crazy or was the LSAT score release date 1/2 before...just noticed it's 1/3 again. Not that I'm too concerned about it...just thought it was strange - unless I'm going crazy, which in light of finals week is definitely possible.

personpitch

New

Post by personpitch » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:38 pm

sabraph wrote:Am I crazy or was the LSAT score release date 1/2 before...just noticed it's 1/3 again. Not that I'm too concerned about it...just thought it was strange - unless I'm going crazy, which in light of finals week is definitely possible.
Hmm I think it was 1/4 for a while and then moved back one day to 1/3, but I don't think it's changed since then.

lemon_lyman

New

Post by lemon_lyman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:14 pm

sabraph wrote:Am I crazy or was the LSAT score release date 1/2 before...just noticed it's 1/3 again. Not that I'm too concerned about it...just thought it was strange - unless I'm going crazy, which in light of finals week is definitely possible.
pretty sure it's still 1/3. although it would be great if they could get us our scores earlier. only down side is that it would be a terrible start to a new year (if things didn't go well)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:40 pm

lemon_lyman wrote:
pretty sure it's still 1/3. although it would be great if they could get us our scores earlier. only down side is that it would be a terrible start to a new year (if things didn't go well)

I was really hopeful that they would (though I know super unlikely) release them early like 1/2 even, but the Spivey statistics that so many people ended up taking the December LSAT makes me much less hopeful that it will release before 1/3 :(

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

Sounds like you're pretty solid on your plan. If you're not using the 7sage tracker, start using it.
moved response to february study group thread
Last edited by eraserhead on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjb77

New

Post by mjb77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:12 pm

eraserhead wrote:I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here. People tend not to reply when I post new topics. Please feel free to PM me if it's best not to clog up this thread (and thank you in advance)

The DEC 2017 lsat was my first time sitting for the lsat and I bombed it (I froze up, went slow as hell, nervous through the entire thing, left like 20 questions unanswered- yup not even random bubbling. I screwed up). I PT around 164-166. I know that I'm going to be less nervous in FEB but I want to take the next two months to have a super rigid studying plan (daily studying. at least 3 hours). In my PTs, I usually go -0/-1 for LG (but I'm going to order the ace the lsat logic games book due to the voyager LG thread-- it makes sense to make sure no difficult/odd game is going to throw me off to lose that score) my rc varies anywhere from -6 to -11. It just depends on the passage. My LR is where I really need to improve. So far I routinely miss an average of -10 overall (my range is -9 to -12 overall) and still score 164/165. But improving on LR is going to give me a chance to maybe score even higher than my PT, but at worst maybe secure I score where I am scoring in my PTs right now.

I have Kaplan Mastery LR question types for drilling. I've done some of these but not all of these. I haven't actually used any Kaplan prep.
Most of the PTs I've taken throughout the entirety of my prep have been untimed (I know, I know). But the last 10 PTs I had done were timed. I used to review just by looking at what I got wrong and understanding why the wrong answer was wrong and the right answer right. But the last few PTs I did I did blind reviews where I tried to circle Qs I was unsure of and reviewed them for the right answer BEFORE looking at the answer choices.

Is there any other material for LR that you think is going to help? I usually don't miss any questions at the start of the test (1-10) but occasionally I will miss 1. I'm also pretty slow with LR. When I finish a section there's always 1 that is left unanswered.

So question for everyone that misses few in LR. What should I do in the next two months? so far the only LR material I've used:

- LR Bible
- LSAT Trainer

I'm in the same boat as you. However do you plan on canceling you score? I know I can score in the 160's but I froze up on the exam and only got to two reading comp and two logic games. I was planning on keeping my score as a place holder so I can still apply to my target schools this cycle, and hopefully they will hold my app until my February score comes out, and hopefully the won't average the scores. Does anyone have any insight on doing this, and if this is a good idea or not. While doing research, I've found that school don't average scores even if they say they do. So I don't see the point of canceling.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Last edited by etramak on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eraserhead

New

Post by eraserhead » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 pm

mjb77 wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

- LR Bible
- LSAT Trainer

I'm in the same boat as you. However do you plan on canceling you score? I know I can score in the 160's but I froze up on the exam and only got to two reading comp and two logic games. I was planning on keeping my score as a place holder so I can still apply to my target schools this cycle, and hopefully they will hold my app until my February score comes out, and hopefully the won't average the scores. Does anyone have any insight on doing this, and if this is a good idea or not. While doing research, I've found that school don't average scores even if they say they do. So I don't see the point of canceling.
Oh yeah. I canceled it. There is no way I can hit my target score with the amount of questions I didn't answer (what kind of idiot leaves them blank?! me... :oops: ). I have no score on the books because I've only taken it ONCE. I guess it comes down to what your priority is. If you are looking to apply and for this cycle and your only goal is to start at a school no matter what. I guess you can leave it. But not getting to two games and two passages? That's rough. What is your target score? If you can score in the 160s, if you're looking for mid 160s like me then I feel giving up that many points by not getting to the games/passages takes you out of the 160s. For me, one of my priorities is to start this cycle. But an equal priority is money. You can apply in February and still get decent money with a score in the 160s if you're not aiming for T14 or something close to T14. But in your situation I would cancel.

personpitch

New

Post by personpitch » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 pm

etramak wrote:
dietcoked wrote:
lemon_lyman wrote:

I was really hopeful that they would (though I know super unlikely) release them early like 1/2 even, but the Spivey statistics that so many people ended up taking the December LSAT makes me much less hopeful that it will release before 1/3 :(
Why the f is the applicant pool so high this year. It almost looks like all the top 5 will raise medians
Yeah I was really sad today for both these reasons (probably no (significant) early release, and likely stiffer competition LSAT-wise at my top preference school). Here's hoping I did better last Saturday than I think!

MindyKale

New

Post by MindyKale » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:02 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
schrutebeetsllc wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:I had a bad dream I scored in the mid 150s. Should I cancel? I think I messed up LG pretty bad? If I get w score lower than 164 will that look bad/make me look bad If i wanted to transfer to like T6?

I’m thinking
RC -3/4
LR -7????
LG -10000000

Honestly I can’t gauge it. I’m just scared I did worst. UGH.
I wouldn't cancel because of a dream or potential law school transfers...but if you think you did a lot worse (like more so than just overthinking) than your target then consider it. But nowadays with most schools NOT averaging scores I don't see the point unless you royally bombed.
I wouldnt cancel... It happens. anybody can be off their game one day and it sucks. Plus in your situation you scored the same twice before so if its worse it looks like you clearly had a bad day and werent thinking straight. You cant get "lucky" twice with a fluke and score the same TWICE. They get that. Even if you are applying to schools that say they avergae scores (like i am) dont stress about it. They still only report the highest at the end of the day and thats what the stats are based on. I wouldnt stress it. It seems like for you at this point, there is NO downside. All upside. You either are stuck with your current score which is still a good score, or you beat it! No sense in stressing.
Is there a comprehensive or known list of schools that average vs those that don't? Would it be better to cancel if I am sure I performed worse than expected but I am curious to know my score (first take).

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 pm

MindyKale wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
schrutebeetsllc wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:I had a bad dream I scored in the mid 150s. Should I cancel? I think I messed up LG pretty bad? If I get w score lower than 164 will that look bad/make me look bad If i wanted to transfer to like T6?

I’m thinking
RC -3/4
LR -7????
LG -10000000

Honestly I can’t gauge it. I’m just scared I did worst. UGH.
I wouldn't cancel because of a dream or potential law school transfers...but if you think you did a lot worse (like more so than just overthinking) than your target then consider it. But nowadays with most schools NOT averaging scores I don't see the point unless you royally bombed.
I wouldnt cancel... It happens. anybody can be off their game one day and it sucks. Plus in your situation you scored the same twice before so if its worse it looks like you clearly had a bad day and werent thinking straight. You cant get "lucky" twice with a fluke and score the same TWICE. They get that. Even if you are applying to schools that say they avergae scores (like i am) dont stress about it. They still only report the highest at the end of the day and thats what the stats are based on. I wouldnt stress it. It seems like for you at this point, there is NO downside. All upside. You either are stuck with your current score which is still a good score, or you beat it! No sense in stressing.
Is there a comprehensive or known list of schools that average vs those that don't? Would it be better to cancel if I am sure I performed worse than expected but I am curious to know my score (first take).
Im fairly certain that NYU and Yale out of t14 are the only ones that mention it or that I have come across. I may be ill-advised as I have only really done research on the T10.

If its your first take, i wouldnt cancel.(unless you got so nervous you literally guessed on a whole section or christmas treed it etc something extreme happened). I think Mike Spivey recently posted a blog post about how more often than not people think they did worse than they actually did.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:55 pm

How has it not even been a week since we've taken that damn test?? It feels like its been months!!

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 pm

I just got an email from Cooley saying I can apply after I get my Dec score and still be admitted in time to start the Spring semester. Anyone care to guess when their Spring semester starts?? January 8th!! lmaooo that school seriously never fails to amaze me!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:08 pm

MercW07 wrote:I just got an email from Cooley saying I can apply after I get my Dec score and still be admitted in time to start the Spring semester. Anyone care to guess when their Spring semester starts?? January 8th!! lmaooo that school seriously never fails to amaze me!
what an amazing opportunity at an amazing institution

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:58 pm

How are your guys' essays coming along??

This is my last take and I desperately want the page count to hit 170+...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”