Retaking when you're actually not sure how much better you can do Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lstata

New

Retaking when you're actually not sure how much better you can do

Post by lstata » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:42 pm

I have taken the LSAT three times (161, 164, 166) and have pt'ed anywhere from 164-170 recently. The common advice seems to be 1) if you can pinpoint a reason why you underperformed or 2) if you think your score is far lower than you pt average then you should definitely consider retaking. My question is, if you can't pinpoint a specific reason you underperformed, or you don't think your score is far lower than your pt average, what should you do? I'm interested in going into big law down the road, and improving this score seems like the only reasonable option for having better odds at T14. Has anyone struggled with the retake or could point me towards any helpful resources?

kiklavan

Bronze

Re: Retaking when you're actually not sure how much better you can do

Post by kiklavan » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:41 pm

This is a great question. Also wondering.

But let me just say a 166 is not a bad score. That still gives you a shot at some of T14 depending on your GPA. Why not just apply and see how you fare, then base your decision to retake again on how acceptable you consider your offers to be?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:40 pm

You should be able to exactly why you are underperforming. What sections are you having trouble with? What question types? These are all super predictable by looking at your practice tests.

t14orbust22

New

Post by t14orbust22 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I' not an expert but from my understanding now that there is no limit to the amount of tests you can take, why not? Most schools simply take your highest score, though there are a few in the top 14 that may average them so just be mindful of how the school will treat your scores. Maybe someone else will have a different take, but if you know you are performing better on your PTs and feel confident I see no reason not to retake.

lstata

New

Post by lstata » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm

kiklavan wrote:This is a great question. Also wondering.

But let me just say a 166 is not a bad score. That still gives you a shot at some of T14 depending on your GPA. Why not just apply and see how you fare, then base your decision to retake again on how acceptable you consider your offers to be?
I decided to apply to a few schools (lower half of the t14), knowing that many of my top choices (Duke, UVA, Michigan), are going to be quite a stretch with my 3.7X. Unsure if it was a mistake to apply, knowing I could be leaving points on the table.
sparkytrainer wrote:You should be able to exactly why you are underperforming. What sections are you having trouble with? What question types? These are all super predictable by looking at your practice tests.
I don't think I ever got completely comfortable with RC, or rather, had a solid strategy towards tackling every passage.
On June 2017, I went: LR1: -2, LR2: -5, LG: -2, RC: -5.

Solidifying a 170 would likely mean cutting those errors in half.

My practice tests (took around 20) ranged from 165-175, probably averaging just under 170.

Anatevka

New

Post by Anatevka » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 am

Just to add a data point, I have a 3.1 and I got into UT Austin with a 167, 166, and 165. I am going to take it again because, like you, my PT score was consistently better, and I would really like to not go into so much debt for school. I would say, if you have the energy to do another test, you should do another test. I am on to number four and laymen think I'm crazy, but you will get lots of support here for not leaving points on the table.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”