Considering postponing... please help? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
paperworkjim

New

Considering postponing... please help?

Post by paperworkjim » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi all. I'm registered for the December test -- but don't feel like I've maximized my potential. I am getting in the 171 - 175 range, but consistently get at least 2-3 (sometimes much more) wrong in LG. I have done weeks/months of foolproofing and have seen significant improvement, but still not where I can get to a -0. I am thinking about postponing to feb, but that obviously means I will have to postpone a cycle. The reason why I am thinking about postponing is because I really want Y (academia), and they seem to care about how many takes you have. I'm aiming for a 175 +. Plan on spending the last two months (if I postpone) finishing up PTs (I've only taken around 15-20) and then drilling LG.

Two questions:
1. Should I postpone if I am gunning hard for Yale? I have a 4.1 GPA and was thinking a 174-175 score would really give me a good shot.
2. Did any of you take an extra year and regret it? I am 1.5 years out and itching to go to law school -- but has anyone taken 3 years and had a really good time with it/felt it was worth it? I feel it could be helpful... but I don't want to keep wasting my time here.

Thanks for all the help!!!

icechicken

Bronze

Re: Considering postponing... please help?

Post by icechicken » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:23 pm

I've yet to hear of anyone regretting that they took 3 years off before law school instead of 2.

If you 1) don't feel that you've reached your potential and 2) are consistently scoring below your target, then taking a little more time to study is the standard wisdom.

On the other hand, getting a 172 now and a 175 later isn't going to torpedo your chances at Yale, especially with such good undergraduate grades, and you can still get great jobs in the academy even if you go to a diploma mill like Harvard.

If I were you I'd put my nose to the grindstone and ball out in December, but postponing wouldn't be a mistake by any stretch. You're probably going to be fine either way.

paperworkjim

New

Re: Considering postponing... please help?

Post by paperworkjim » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 am

icechicken wrote:I've yet to hear of anyone regretting that they took 3 years off before law school instead of 2.

If you 1) don't feel that you've reached your potential and 2) are consistently scoring below your target, then taking a little more time to study is the standard wisdom.

On the other hand, getting a 172 now and a 175 later isn't going to torpedo your chances at Yale, especially with such good undergraduate grades, and you can still get great jobs in the academy even if you go to a diploma mill like Harvard.

If I were you I'd put my nose to the grindstone and ball out in December, but postponing wouldn't be a mistake by any stretch. You're probably going to be fine either way.
IceChicken, you're one of the most helpful posters on here. Just wanted to take a second and thank ya.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”