Minimizing LG Damage Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kiklavan

Bronze

Minimizing LG Damage

Post by kiklavan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MercW07

Bronze

Re: Minimizing LG Damage

Post by MercW07 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 pm

kiklavan wrote:I have devoted the majority of my prep to logic games. I can finish many games in 3-4 minutes and I really don’t have trouble with this section.. I generally go -0-1.

However there have been several times throughout my prep where I’ve made an incorrect inference and created incorrect templates based on them. This happened earlier this week and I ended up going -10 on games for PT 60. On the September test something similar happened (my nerves got the best of me and I wrote down a rule incorrectly).

I feel that I need a plan of action in case this happens again in December. If I screw up a game, should I just move on to the next one? Does anyone have tips for avoiding this?

Particularly concerned since the last 2 LSATs had easy games which might mean we’re due for a hard one in dec.
I took PT60 today and Im guessing you had problems with game 4? Its a tough game that is made harder by some confusingly written rules. Whenever I screw up a rule or rules I immediately skip the game and finish any other games in the set. Idk about you, but when I screw up a rule or something I usually realize Ive made a mistake pretty quick which is a deflating feeling but you have to just move on. Make sure you pick up those easier to get points, then come back to the game you screwed up on with a fresh mind and start over. As far as avoiding this problem, Id probably just say there is no real substitute to being focused. Ive noticed that the days I screw up a game are also the days when Im not really into the test. Im just rushing through trying to get it done, and this leads to a lack of focus.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:50 pm

kiklavan wrote:
MercW07 wrote:
kiklavan wrote:I have devoted the majority of my prep to logic games. I can finish many games in 3-4 minutes and I really don’t have trouble with this section.. I generally go -0-1.

However there have been several times throughout my prep where I’ve made an incorrect inference and created incorrect templates based on them. This happened earlier this week and I ended up going -10 on games for PT 60. On the September test something similar happened (my nerves got the best of me and I wrote down a rule incorrectly).

I feel that I need a plan of action in case this happens again in December. If I screw up a game, should I just move on to the next one? Does anyone have tips for avoiding this?

Particularly concerned since the last 2 LSATs had easy games which might mean we’re due for a hard one in dec.
I took PT60 today and Im guessing you had problems with game 4? Its a tough game that is made harder by some confusingly written rules. Whenever I screw up a rule or rules I immediately skip the game and finish any other games in the set. Idk about you, but when I screw up a rule or something I usually realize Ive made a mistake pretty quick which is a deflating feeling but you have to just move on. Make sure you pick up those easier to get points, then come back to the game you screwed up on with a fresh mind and start over. As far as avoiding this problem, Id probably just say there is no real substitute to being focused. Ive noticed that the days I screw up a game are also the days when Im not really into the test. Im just rushing through trying to get it done, and this leads to a lack of focus.
Exactly! That deflating feeling is what hurts me on subsequent games in that section and it’s really hard for me to pick myself up because my score depends on a perfect games section.

On game 1 I completely missed a scenario which a question exploited so I ended up spending a lot of time trying to retrace my steps to see what I missed. Then the mulch game happened which further added to my panic initially, then game 4 sealed the deal lol.

Thanks for your response! Really helpful.
I can definitely see what you're saying. I had a weird feeling about game 1 and wanted to check my answers but time ran out. Luckily I got them all right but still didn't like not having that confidence of a perfect first game going into the 2nd game. The mulch game scared me at first, but its actually super easy. Try it again with a cool head and I bet you'll blow through it.

For me the most frustrating thing is not that its a lack of LG skill that hurts me, it's just stupid mistakes. When I was first learning games I didn't really mind missing problems because there was stuff I simply did not know how to do, but thats part of the learning process. After you start consistently going -0 on games missing questions hurts because you know that if you would just read that one simple rule right you'd have gone -0 again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”