LG speed question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Jdhoosier17

New

LG speed question

Post by Jdhoosier17 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:24 pm

I am able to finish 3 Logic Games in 35 minutes. I have heard redoing games will make you quicker. I became accurate in August and thought the speed would be here by now. I'm not sure what steps to take to speed up. The questions are really slowing me down. When I get stuck, I will spend 3 minutes on a single question.
-I recognize the game type
-I am decently good with inferences although these do slow me down
-my game boards are good. I almost never think to split to game board though because of my rush for time.
-my rules look a little messy.
Has anyone tried redoing their old games???
PLEASE HELP

Mikey

Platinum

Re: LG speed question

Post by Mikey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:33 pm

LG is my best section (-2 on the sept test which was on my lower side but -0/-1 on PTs). I got good at doing games by just doing them over and over again. yes I did repeat games and I think that is how I got better. I would do an LG section with a stopwatch, and if I went over 35 mins and/or missed 1 question I would do the entire section over the following day. yes, I remembered stuff, but it is essentially the same thing on LG you are doing so it was still helpful.

when you are stuck on a question just skip it. don't waste 3 mins on 1 LG question when you can rack up on even more points with questions that come after it.

what also made me go faster while maintaining accurate was moving on and not looking at the rest of the answer choices once I found what I think is the right answer. checking the rest only wastes time and you HAVE to be confident that you know the rules well and also have to be confident that you have a good game board.

keep doing them over and over, it will eventually click that they are all the same thing over and over and your timing will improve with familiarity.

Jdhoosier17

New

Post by Jdhoosier17 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Mikey wrote:LG is my best section (-2 on the sept test which was on my lower side but -0/-1 on PTs).
How long did it take you to consistently score correctly and finish an entire section correctly?

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Jdhoosier17 wrote:
Mikey wrote:LG is my best section (-2 on the sept test which was on my lower side but -0/-1 on PTs).
How long did it take you to consistently score correctly and finish an entire section correctly?
when I first started studying and had never done LSAT stuff (more than a year and a half ago) I focused ONLY on LG and I drilled them for a straight month everyday and after that was when I got better and ever since then it has been my best section. weird miscellaneous games throw me off sometimes but the normally seen grouping games, sequencing games, etc are all the same thing

LG is very foreign to many but it's very easy once you see how systematical it is and how they literally give you the same crap over and over again just in different words.

edit: also, I recommend watching the 7sage videos for LG on youtube if you aren't using them. they are very helpful

BlueprintLSATXander

New

Post by BlueprintLSATXander » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:20 pm

I think that it can actually be helpful to redo old LG games you've seen before. I did this while I was studying as well. Because LG is so formulaic, with known game types and recurrent question types, being familiar with the types of inferences you've made before and the types of strategies and game boards you've had to use can help you be more versatile when you see something new. One tip I give my students when trying to improve their timing on a whole section is to try improving first one game at a time. That is, print out single games of a couple different types and practice doing them on their own in a reasonable amount of time (this varies by game, but suggested times can be found online for most games). Do this for single games for a bit and then try doing two games back to back (adding their recommended times together this time). Keep doing this until you're able to get up to a full section's worth of games. Sometimes the stress of having an entire section to do can in and of itself cause enough of a slowdown to prevent you from being able to finish in time.

As for tackling timing on individual games, making sure you know what types of deductions to look for on various types of games (e.g. looking for indicators that you can do scenarios on a game or whether a game can be played solely with a conditional diagram) is of course the best way to reliably get better and faster.

Hope this helps!

Xander

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”