Taking the summer to focus only on LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Aldo_Raine

New

Taking the summer to focus only on LSAT

Post by Aldo_Raine » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:48 am

Currently a junior who is deciding between taking the June LSAT vs September (2018). I am a finance major and have had an internship with a F500 for the past 6 months and I hate it. I don't really have an interest in doing another internship other than to avoid having a gap on my resume. Is taking the summer to focus only on the LSAT without distractions of work/school a good or bad idea? Would having no job/work experience of any kind for over a year leading up to law school be looked down upon by admissions in any way? Obviously this would put me at a disadvantage for post-graduation employment if for whatever reason I decided not to attend law school (unlikely). I really want to score as high as possible on the test.

trkmaniak00

New

Re: Taking the summer to focus only on LSAT

Post by trkmaniak00 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:56 am

I was fortunate enough to be able to take the summer to study and it paid off. I devoted all morning to it and never really had to worry about burnout because I still had time to relax.

To avoid the resume gap I actually just got an unpaid ointernship in a small law office trough a friend of a friend. The attorney I worked for was informative and happy to show me his side of things and only asked that I be there 15 hours a week at my discretion. So I'd go in two or three days a week which still kept me fresh for the last. That might be an option to consider.

Secondly, If your finance internship pays well that's another consideration. If you're using it to pay for college or what not I don't know that it would be worth it to stop that.

pancakes3

Platinum

Re: Taking the summer to focus only on LSAT

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:28 am

no, bro. you'll still be in school so it's not a "work gap." going without an internship wouldn't even put you at a disadvantage for non-law-school job prospects. lots of kids get jobs without internships during UG. however if you're a finance major and not at a feeder school, your prospects for getting a finance gig was already a long shot.

2 things that are of way more importance:

1) don't focus on test dates but rather test scores. if you really want to max out your LSAT, you just prep for it until you're practicing at 170+ and the test date administration is irrelevant.

2) do focus on GPA. you're a junior right now? that means you've got 4 semesters of GPA padding left. getting as high a GPA as possible is going to help infinitely more than whatever internship you score - for LS admission purposes anyway.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”