LG?? LR?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lshopeful413

New

LG?? LR??

Post by lshopeful413 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Hey guys,

My plan is to sit for the december test. I am scoring about a 151 to mid 150s and i am missing nearly EVERY logic games question. Missing anywhere from -6 to -8 LR. I am not entirely sure what to do anymore. I have foolproofed a good bit of games from PT 1-35...as in, I have done them at least 3 or 4 times but sometimes I forgot to repeat them again the next day or in the future. I am fine doing games untimed but doing LG timed is where I go faster and tend to panic/make mistakes.

For LR -- there is a pattern in what I am missing. Always the questions near the end, always strengthen and sufficient assumption questions. I have drilled quite a few of each type yet my understanding still feels shaky. I have the trainer, manhattan LR, PS trilogy and nearly every PT.

How should I spend these weeks until December? i tried to be as specific as I can so someone can offer the best help to me. Ultimate goal is to get into the 160s+. Thank you.

sodomojo

Bronze

Re: LG?? LR??

Post by sodomojo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:52 pm

I'd focus on LG. -6 to -8 in LR isn't ideal, but it won't tank you, as long as you're not shooting for a 170 or something. Missing every LG question on the other hand will tank you. Even if that was a bit of hyperbole, if you focus on LG and shore it up, that should get you into the 160s at least.

If you're missing nearly every LG question when timed, then you haven't foolproofed games. You should be crushing the target times on 7Sage for every game. If not, then you need to watch the video and figure out where/why you did things differently or incorrectly. LG should honestly be the most mechanical of all the sections - if you're panicking, then you haven't muscle memorized all the motions for the different possibilities that they can throw at you.

How is your diagramming? Gameboard splitting? If you're struggling that much on LG, then I doubt it's the panicking alone that is causing you problems.

lshopeful413

New

Post by lshopeful413 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Thank you for your response!

My diagramming is pretty well. I think a big problem for me is not knowing when to split or when to brute force :? Could it be that I am not foolproofing correctly? How many new games should I be doing now until December? My guess is 2-3 new and 2-3 ones ive previously done. Would it be best to spend all my efforts on LG and PT every other week? Thank you

Tape Dog

New

Post by Tape Dog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:05 am

I think that sounds like a good idea. You really do need to be crushing the 7 Sage target times. If you are missing lots of q's under timed conditions, restudy your fundamentals. Maybe hire a tutor if it is Halloween and you still need an extra hand.

lshopeful413 wrote:Thank you for your response!

My diagramming is pretty well. I think a big problem for me is not knowing when to split or when to brute force :? Could it be that I am not foolproofing correctly? How many new games should I be doing now until December? My guess is 2-3 new and 2-3 ones ive previously done. Would it be best to spend all my efforts on LG and PT every other week? Thank you

lshopeful413

New

Post by lshopeful413 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 am

Tape Dog wrote:I think that sounds like a good idea. You really do need to be crushing the 7 Sage target times. If you are missing lots of q's under timed conditions, restudy your fundamentals. Maybe hire a tutor if it is Halloween and you still need an extra hand.

I can't afford a tutor :| at this point im just trusting that foolproofing will pay off. I guess

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sodomojo

Bronze

Post by sodomojo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:51 am

Yes I would focus on LG. Drilling more than PTing will be the more efficient use of your time for now.

The splitting really comes down to evaluating how many global vs. local questions you have, and how restrictive your rules are. But the best way for honing this intuition will always just be more practice, so keep foolproofing.

I don't know if you are necessarily foolproofing incorrectly as much as it might be not holding yourself to a high enough standard. Remember that it's not just an automatic "check in the box" as long as you get through the game, make sure you feel confident about the game after each run through, get every question right, and under time, in order for foolproofing to be productive.

Don't look at it as a I need to repeat this game X many of times or do X amount of games and as long as I do that I'll be good. You're better off having dominated say half the games in existence, as opposed to getting eyes on every single game but having felt iffy about every one.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:08 am

It took me about 2 months to foolproof LG so maybe my method will be helpful to you given the amount of time we have between now and December
Step 1: Make 5 copies of every game from PT 1-35 (so 6 total copies per game counting the original)
Step 2: Go through every 7Sage video and actively do the games along with JY, making notes and learning the basic diagraming rules.
Step 3 Go through every game again and try to do them without the video. If you get caught up by a rule or question go ahead and watch the video for that game. Its important not to get frustrated with this stuff so if you're having problems its ok to watch the video explanation at this point.
Step 4: Do every game on your own, regardless of how long it takes, and watch the video when you are done If necessary. This is a big step because it forces you to get over hurdles on your own. Doesn't matter if it takes you 5mins for a game or 1 hour, do not watch the video until you've finished the game.
Step 5: Go through every game again this time timing yourself. When I would finish a game I would watch the video, grade it, and write the time it took me to complete the game at the top of the page for reference purposes.
Step 6: By this point I was skipping the easy games and just trying to nail down the harder/more miscellaneous games. Don't move on until you can do every game.
Step 7: "Teach the game" This step was huge for me because it really tied up any lose ends I had. You basically go through every game untimed as if you were teaching it to someone else. When you diagram a rule in this step, you don't just diagram it, you explain to yourself why it is diagramed the way it is. Every question gets a brief explanation for not only the correct answer, but also the 4 incorrect answers. You may sound a bit crazy to anyone who hears you talking your way through every game, but it really does help and I definitely recommend it.

Ill also add that when I eventually did move on to PTs, I started with the mentality of, ok Im going to finish 2 games perfectly and anything after that will just be a bonus. Once that became easy, I would make sure I got through 3 games, then eventually 4. People get frustrated with games and begin to panic and once that happens you're finished. Set realistic goals with these games especially in the beginning, and let your knowledge of games guide you. Its a lot of work, but its worth it. From what you said, getting LG to -0 would nearly guarantee you a score in the 160s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”