Dense Reading Practice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
littlelibertine

Bronze

Dense Reading Practice

Post by littlelibertine » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:50 pm

What did you read to prepare for the RC?

I printed out about 5-6 dense Civ Pro cases a friend recommended (including Pennoyer v. Neff, ugh) and got a subscription to Foreign Affairs, which gives you access to the entire backlog from the 1920s on.

Experiment626

Silver

Re: Dense Reading Practice

Post by Experiment626 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Economist subscription

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Experiment626 wrote:Economist subscription
Seconded. The Economist (or a magazine like The New Yorker, or ideally several for breadth; Foreign Affairs is a fine choice in terms of quality but I'd want more subject-matter variety) is good practice. Whatever you use, force yourself to read it cover-to-cover or you'll inevitably cherry-pick articles you're interested in, stop reading them halfway through, etc. Arts and Letters daily is a great portal for the kind of articles you want to work with; again, try to resist the urge to read only things which you are prejudiced to like in the first place.

OP, on the other hand I don't think reading judicial opinions is going to be particularly useful. That's not the writing style used in LSAT RC passages.

lalita

New

Post by lalita » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Last edited by lalita on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:01 pm

littlelibertine wrote:What did you read to prepare for the RC?

I printed out about 5-6 dense Civ Pro cases a friend recommended (including Pennoyer v. Neff, ugh) and got a subscription to Foreign Affairs, which gives you access to the entire backlog from the 1920s on.
Subscribing to something for the sake of the lsat is not necessary. You can find quite a few things for free on economist, WSJ, Washington & New York Post. You can find free Noam Chomskys essays online that will, if properly read, blow away any of the former publishments in terms of reading comp. There are quite a lot of free works in the App Store including Nietzsche and Spinoza that really help.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:28 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:
littlelibertine wrote:What did you read to prepare for the RC?

Subscribing to something for the sake of the lsat is not necessary. You can find quite a few things for free on economist, WSJ, Washington & New York Post. You can find free Noam Chomskys essays online that will, if properly read, blow away any of the former publishments in terms of reading comp. There are quite a lot of free works in the App Store including Nietzsche and Spinoza that really help.
Sure! We just really wanted a subscription to Foreign Affairs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”