Studying by just taking preptests? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BU2014

New

Studying by just taking preptests?

Post by BU2014 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 pm

I've read most of The LSAT trainer and almost all of the LG bible...

I dont know why it just hit me that i only have TWO months til my LSAT.

I have only taken 3 preptests but i have about 40 unused ones.

Would it be wise to take 2-3 preptests a week and on the other 3 days review the questions i got wrong so that I become very well acquainted with the test?

icechicken

Bronze

Re: Studying by just taking preptests?

Post by icechicken » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:16 am

How are you doing on preptests under realistic conditions? If you're at or near your target score then yeah, I'd transition into grinding preptests for maintenance and consistency. (I'm a fan of doing individual sections during the week and then a full PT on Saturday; 3 whole tests' worth of material is probably too much.) Otherwise, you have enough time till December that you should keep working on fundamentals.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:40 pm

I had basically the same situation and chose to do the same thing--it was definitely the right decision for me. But I think it also depends on where you're at/why you're missing questions. For me, I was plateauing around 170 because RC and LG timing was easily costing me more than half of my incorrect answers (~-5). So it made sense to burn through full sections of RC and LG to get the feel for speeding up and slowing down (and if I'm doing two sections I might as well do the full four sections.)

If you're in the 150s that indicates that you may gain more focusing on fundamentals than taking PTs. Bad practice is worse than no practice or something like that.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Once you have the basic understanding of how to tackle each kind of question/section, you can definitely use just PTs and timed sections. You can do a PT, blind review, realize what section you need the most work on, and then drill timed sections of that specific section. Then do another PT and repeat the process. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:39 pm

BU2014 wrote:I've read most of The LSAT trainer and almost all of the LG bible...

Would it be wise to take 2-3 preptests a week and on the other 3 days review the questions i got wrong so that I become very well acquainted with the test?
There is no reason to take a prep test again unless you can objectively say “I am going to improve.” If you keep taking prep tests getting the same score, you have not mastered the material anymore and which shows you don’t understand the material enough, or are not executing what you know properly ( which is to be improved via drills.)

BU2014

New

Post by BU2014 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:17 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:
BU2014 wrote:I've read most of The LSAT trainer and almost all of the LG bible...

There is no reason to take a prep test again unless you can objectively say “I am going to improve.” If you keep taking prep tests getting the same score, you have not mastered the material anymore and which shows you don’t understand the material enough, or are not executing what you know properly ( which is to be improved via drills.)

Ok that makes sense. I keep seeing that the LSAT is very learnable which is what lead me to believe if I kept taking preptests it would cause me to become much more aware of the structure of the test overall. (especially by reviewing after)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”