What should I do?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
paperworkjim

New

What should I do??

Post by paperworkjim » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 am

I'm PTing in the 172-175 range, but I am still getting a substantial wrong in LG. For example, on PT 61, I got a 175 with a -4 in LG. FYI, taking in Dec.

I want to work hardcore on LG, but I think that will cut into my time doing 2 PTs a week, and that, in turn, will lead to me getting rusty on LR and RC. Should I go hardcore on LG for a while and not PT or hope that fool-proofing each of the LG PTs will get me there? I have done all of PT 1-30 LG multiple times (and I mean multiple times... I've gone through all of them at least twice) and have still gotten onwhere near -0. For reference, I got a 168 on PT 60 because I got a -10 in LG. Thanks for the help ya'll.

icechicken

Bronze

Re: What should I do??

Post by icechicken » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:40 am

If you're crushing RC and LR that hard I wouldn't worry too much about getting rusty until it actually happens. Also, taking two whole PTs every week is probably unnecessary, especially this early. You maybe want to take that many practice tests in the fortnight before the actual exam, to build confidence and get some ice in your veins, but when you're still learning it's important to give the brain rest periods.

I was in a similar situation to yours back in July and this approach helped me cross the 175 barrier on PTs: take a full test every Saturday morning (Sunday works too) to keep sharp on the test in general and devote your study time during the week to foolproofing logic games, maybe throwing in a single section of LR or RC here and there for variety.

If holes start appearing in LR or RC you can adjust your practice allocation accordingly; you've got plenty of time till December. But I wouldn't worry too much about that happening. LR especially is hard to backslide on once you've mastered it because the skills involved are so modular.

paperworkjim

New

Post by paperworkjim » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:32 am

icechicken wrote:If you're crushing RC and LR that hard I wouldn't worry too much about getting rusty until it actually happens. Also, taking two whole PTs every week is probably unnecessary, especially this early. You maybe want to take that many practice tests in the fortnight before the actual exam, to build confidence and get some ice in your veins, but when you're still learning it's important to give the brain rest periods.

I was in a similar situation to yours back in July and this approach helped me cross the 175 barrier on PTs: take a full test every Saturday morning (Sunday works too) to keep sharp on the test in general and devote your study time during the week to foolproofing logic games, maybe throwing in a single section of LR or RC here and there for variety.

If holes start appearing in LR or RC you can adjust your practice allocation accordingly; you've got plenty of time till December. But I wouldn't worry too much about that happening. LR especially is hard to backslide on once you've mastered it because the skills involved are so modular.
Thanks man -- super sound advice. I just don't see what more I can do. I've really done everything the board/7Sage has told me to do (keep doing the games over and over, 1-35 and now whatever PT I take) and I've seen almost no results.

I take a super long time to review PTs (even when I do 4-5 hours a day, it takes upwards of 3 days) - so maybe reducing that, combined with taking less PTs will help. But I'm still a little anxious I will not get enough PTs in before December.

Anyone else have thoughts? Thanks again.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Why are you missing so many LG questions? Do you misread rules? Do you just make stupid mistakes and miss possible game boards on "cannot be true" questions? Do you run out of time and have to rush/what's your BR LG score?

If it helps your confidence at all: I found LG to be very much a "critical mass" sort of thing. That is, after I finished drilling the basic games (ordering, grouping, in/out, etc.) almost every section I would take had at least one game that would throw me off and make me miss 4-5 questions. But once I hit a critical mass (for me, roughly 40 LG sections) it suddenly became much easier and I'd easily go -1/-0 as long as it wasn't the virus or stained glass game. YMMV, but I suspect it's part of the nature of studying for LG.
paperworkjim wrote:But I'm still a little anxious I will not get enough PTs in before December.
Don't worry too much about quantity. It may feel like you need to finish every PT in existence to maximize your score but I guarantee that's not the case anymore.

allezallez21

New

Post by allezallez21 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:38 am

Fool proof LG by watching 7sage videos.

Literally just do games from PTs 1-35 over and over and over.

You don't need to do 2 PTs a week, especially if you're already doing so well in LR and RC. One per week should be plenty to keep the engine going (assuming you do proper review). Shoot to do 3 entire LG sections per day, every day, from now on. LG is about volume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paperworkjim

New

Post by paperworkjim » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:29 pm

allezallez21 wrote:Fool proof LG by watching 7sage videos.

Literally just do games from PTs 1-35 over and over and over.

You don't need to do 2 PTs a week, especially if you're already doing so well in LR and RC. One per week should be plenty to keep the engine going (assuming you do proper review). Shoot to do 3 entire LG sections per day, every day, from now on. LG is about volume.
This is all such marvelous advice -- thanks guys.

I am starting to think I should postpone in December... it is really getting ridiculous. I have been doing the games over and over, as you all said -- did 1-35 and now working on 40-65 (the PTs I have done). It's insane. I am still getting 5-10 with probably an average of 6-7 off on each exam. I am still somehow getting a 171 -- which means I would be averaging in the 175+s comfortably without this. Should I postpone? I really would've liked to apply cycle....

tanes25

New

Post by tanes25 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:14 am

First, I wouldn't postpone but I don't know your personal goal so that's up to you. Second, during fool-proofing are you recognizing your mistakes after watching the videos? Are you paying attention to what inferences you missed and how you did or did not draw your diagram? Are you completing that game 5-10 times until you miss 0 under the recommended time? Going through 1-35 probably won't cut it. For some games you'll probably have to do them 10 times for others you may only have to complete them 3 times but if you're following the fool-proof method exactly you'll see results.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”