LSAC Law School Forum Chicago Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Tape Dog

New

LSAC Law School Forum Chicago

Post by Tape Dog » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Anyone plan on attending the forum? I'll be there

https://www.lsac.org/lawschoolforums/chicago.html

MercW07

Bronze

Re: LSAC Law School Forum Chicago

Post by MercW07 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Ill be there!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm planning on attending. I didn't decide to until literally a day ago, so yay for rushed trips.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:32 pm

As someone who went to the DC Forum, make sure you try to have real conversations with adcoms and make a connection! While not everyone was friendly, there were a few adcoms who I really hit it off with and I think that had at least something to do with my fast acceptances. If you are traveling from a considerable distance try to drop that in as well, some of the people I met with seemed quite impressed with the fact that I flew in just for the Forum. I'd also highly recommend that you get a card from everyone you talk to and write about your experience with a school's adcoms in your Why X essays.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:45 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:As someone who went to the DC Forum, make sure you try to have real conversations with adcoms and make a connection! While not everyone was friendly, there were a few adcoms who I really hit it off with and I think that had at least something to do with my fast acceptances. If you are traveling from a considerable distance try to drop that in as well, some of the people I met with seemed quite impressed with the fact that I flew in just for the Forum. I'd also highly recommend that you get a card from everyone you talk to and write about your experience with a school's adcoms in your Why X essays.
This is what I figured for the most part. Thanks for the advice.

When you spoke to them, did you discuss specifics about their school? Or did you ask general questions and then follow up based on how they answered your Q's? What I'm getting at is this - should I have some bullet point "why X" talking points before going up to my target schools? The reasons in a why X would be good questions to ask, but idk if they were more receptive to general questions or not.

Ex - Duke (bad)
Me: "You guys offer a JD/LLM in entrepeneurship and law, can you provide more info?"
Adcom : "Idk anything about that, check the website"
Me: :oops:

Ex - Duke (good)
Me: "You guys offer a JD/LLM in entrepeneurship and law, can you provide more info?"
Adcom : "Wow, amazing question twiix. Yes that program leads to great success. We have great teachers involved with that, and it leads to great success. Teacher X does Y, teacher Z does W; students feel __ about this program. I can follow up with you with additional resources."
Me: 8)

One last question - should I treat this like a career fair with copies of my resume? Are they interested in collecting any information about the applicants? I feel like the answer is no, but don't want to be unprepared.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:39 am

twiix wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:As someone who went to the DC Forum, make sure you try to have real conversations with adcoms and make a connection! While not everyone was friendly, there were a few adcoms who I really hit it off with and I think that had at least something to do with my fast acceptances. If you are traveling from a considerable distance try to drop that in as well, some of the people I met with seemed quite impressed with the fact that I flew in just for the Forum. I'd also highly recommend that you get a card from everyone you talk to and write about your experience with a school's adcoms in your Why X essays.

When you spoke to them, did you discuss specifics about their school? Or did you ask general questions and then follow up based on how they answered your Q's? What I'm getting at is this - should I have some bullet point "why X" talking points before going up to my target schools? The reasons in a why X would be good questions to ask, but idk if they were more receptive to general questions or not.

Ex - Duke (bad)

Ex - Duke (good)
Adcom : "Wow, amazing question twiix. Yes that program leads to great success. We have great teachers involved with that, and it leads to great success. Teacher X does Y, teacher Z does W; students feel __ about this program. I can follow up with you with additional resources."

One last question - should I treat this like a career fair with copies of my resume? Are they interested in collecting any information about the applicants? I feel like the answer is no, but don't want to be unprepared.
Seems like you've got things figured out! My results varied pretty wildly, including extreme versions of both your good and bad examples (one school was absolutely rude to me).

I would definitely ask about specifics (I typed up "onesheets" for my top choices). Some things I talked about were unique dual degree offerings, job locations and types and how their career services office handles things. I also asked for waivers from everyone I talked to, didn't have as much success as I anticipated but then again the forum I went to was extremely early in the cycle.

Definitely do NOT bring copies of your resume to hand out. I saw a couple people doing this and they really stood out in a bad way. Most schools will have a signup sheet and adcoms who I had a meaningful conversation + followup email correspondence with remembered me when I applied.

Facelessgod

New

Post by Facelessgod » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
twiix wrote:

Ex - Duke (bad)

Ex - Duke (good)

Seems like you've got things figured out! My results varied pretty wildly, including extreme versions of both your good and bad examples (one school was absolutely rude to me).

I would definitely ask about specifics (I typed up "onesheets" for my top choices). Some things I talked about were unique dual degree offerings, job locations and types and how their career services office handles things. I also asked for waivers from everyone I talked to, didn't have as much success as I anticipated but then again the forum I went to was extremely early in the cycle.

Definitely do NOT bring copies of your resume to hand out. I saw a couple people doing this and they really stood out in a bad way. Most schools will have a signup sheet and adcoms who I had a meaningful conversation + followup email correspondence with remembered me when I applied.
Thanks for the advice! Although I'm not applying this cycle, I'm planning on attending the Washington DC forum next year with the goal of being able to apply on September 1. Seeing your results with UVA was really encouraging. My plan is to come prepared with questions about programs that I am interested in, and then tie that into my Why X essays by mentioning that I spoke to so and so at the LSAC forum and how that increased my interest even more. Did you take notes during/after speaking with each law school rep?

Also, when I look at the descriptions of the LSAC Forum on the website, they mention various workshops that'll be there about topics like the LSAT which I have no interest in; the sole reason for attending would be to speak to admissions representatives. Are the admissions reps all available to talk to for most of the day while these workshops are simultaneously going on?

Thanks man!

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Facelessgod wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
twiix wrote:

Ex - Duke (bad)

Ex - Duke (good)

Thanks for the advice! Although I'm not applying this cycle, I'm planning on attending the Washington DC forum next year with the goal of being able to apply on September 1. Seeing your results with UVA was really encouraging. My plan is to come prepared with questions about programs that I am interested in, and then tie that into my Why X essays by mentioning that I spoke to so and so at the LSAC forum and how that increased my interest even more. Did you take notes during/after speaking with each law school rep?

Also, when I look at the descriptions of the LSAC Forum on the website, they mention various workshops that'll be there about topics like the LSAT which I have no interest in; the sole reason for attending would be to speak to admissions representatives. Are the admissions reps all available to talk to for most of the day while these workshops are simultaneously going on?

Thanks man!
@Jimmy thanks for the advice & feedback. I'll work on summarizing my takeaways from Why X's and statistics from lsn for employment and city placement numbers, that should suffice for talking points. It is worth noting that after being apart of the working world for the last few years, everything is completely different from what I've learned to expect when it comes to law schools. I appreciate the reinforcement to leave the resumes at home lol.

@faceless from the schedule I received after registering for the chicago forum, it sounds like the adcoms will basically be set up the entire day and you can visit them whenever you want in between the offered workshops. I'll probably attend a few of the workshops just to kill some of the day, otherwise it'll be a long trip to just shoot the shit with a few select schools (probably only 5 or 6 I deem as "must" talk with). It seems like you've got your plans figured out though, good luck mate.

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 pm

If any of y'all heathens are going to be around tomorrow shoot me a message. Looking for plans for breakfast and/or lumch. Also will be willing to attend the workships and talk with T6 schools and talk you up since I have no shot at them as long as you pass me your scholly money for T7-T13. Thanks.

HowardHamlin

New

Post by HowardHamlin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 am

I forget, what are your stats like? Aren’t you above median at a lot of places? Maybe that contributed to your fast acceptances?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”