Enough Time to Study for LSAT? Study LSAT Before GMAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dadownclub8

New

Enough Time to Study for LSAT? Study LSAT Before GMAT?

Post by dadownclub8 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi everyone. Two questions I wanted to see what people thought on:

I'm working full time and am hoping to take the February LSAT which gives about a shade over 5 months to study for the exam. I think reasonably I can put in 15 good hours a week to study, possibly a bit more depending. Enough time to study for the LSAT? I understand that it's not only quantity of time but quality of time but if my math is right that would be about 300 hours of prep give or take. I'm thinking this should be enough as a tentative estimate with room for recalibration as time goes on. Fair estimate to begin with?

Secondly, I'm seriously considering a JD/MBA so would need to take the Gmat as well. Thoughts or advice on studying for it at the same time? Studying for LSAT before Gmat? I'm leaning toward LSAT first then Gmat but wanted to open it up to see if there are people with experience who could comment or thoughts I might not have considered. Advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: Enough Time to Study for LSAT? Study LSAT Before GMAT?

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:27 pm

dadownclub8 wrote:Hi everyone. Two questions I wanted to see what people thought on:

I'm working full time and am hoping to take the February LSAT which gives about a shade over 5 months to study for the exam. I think reasonably I can put in 15 good hours a week to study, possibly a bit more depending. Enough time to study for the LSAT? I understand that it's not only quantity of time but quality of time but if my math is right that would be about 300 hours of prep give or take. I'm thinking this should be enough as a tentative estimate with room for recalibration as time goes on. Fair estimate to begin with?

Secondly, I'm seriously considering a JD/MBA so would need to take the Gmat as well. Thoughts or advice on studying for it at the same time? Studying for LSAT before Gmat? I'm leaning toward LSAT first then Gmat but wanted to open it up to see if there are people with experience who could comment or thoughts I might not have considered. Advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
There's no way to know. Some people don't study at all and others study for 2+ years. It depends on you, where you start, how quickly you imprpove, and what your goal score is.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert Pupkin

Gold

Re: Enough Time to Study for LSAT? Study LSAT Before GMAT?

Post by Rupert Pupkin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 pm

I agree with Barack...And additionally dont study for GMAT at the same time. I would take and confirm a good LSAT score and then study GMAT. The LR and RC components will be transferable to the GMAT and then you can just focus on Quant. Also most JD/MBA programs allow you to apply to the b-school as a 1L so you have a little bit of extra time for the GMAT if you need it.Furthermore, most law schools dont have a joint application for the JD/MBA program and you apply to the two schools separately (again a little bit of a buffer time wise to lock-in a good GMAT score). If you look at typical b-school app deadlines they are later in the yr than LS on average.

From a timeline perspective-If you take the LSAT in Feb and are done in your first take or maybe second, presumably june, you will have plenty of time for the GMAT after the fact before the cycle begins.

In sum, i would focus on one at a time.. LSAT is harder to master imo (I have taken both)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”