To cancel or keep? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Should I...

Cancel
10%
Keep
90%

Total votes: 20

foodlaw

New

To cancel or keep?

Post by foodlaw » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:19 pm

I took the Sept. LSAT... and I'm pretty sure I scored wayyyy lower than my average PTs. I got sick the day before, and that carried over to test day. I messed up on the first LR and RC. I don't even remember how I did for the second LR. I'm really leaning towards canceling my score because I'll be horrified if I get anything lower than a 160 after the countless hours I spent preparing for this test. The thought of having that score on record makes me :cry: At the same time,I know law school only care about highest score + I guess it'd be extra data for me to analyze and learn from. Thoughts? I have 5 more days to make up my mind...
Last edited by foodlaw on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Re: To cancel or keep?

Post by Mikey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:09 pm

keep your score, you may have done better than you think. I'm in your position too, I feel completely horrible about RC but I'm sticking with it because ya never know!

most schools just take your highest score like you said, so you'll be fine.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Mikey wrote:keep your score, you may have done better than you think. I'm in your position too, I feel completely horrible about RC but I'm sticking with it because ya never know!

Yeah! But what if I scored way lower? :(

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:18 pm

foodlaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:keep your score, you may have done better than you think. I'm in your position too, I feel completely horrible about RC but I'm sticking with it because ya never know!

you'll never find out if you did well or bad on it if you cancel your score though. if you cancel, you may be cancelling a test you did well on and you may wonder "WHAT IF" about that score.

is it your first take? 1 low score won't do anything. I know many people who had scores in the 150's or low 160's then got scores in the 170's and got into great schools with no one batting an eye at their lower scores.

if you feel THAT terrible about it, I guess you can cancel if you want. But if you feel that there is a chance you may have done ok then just keep the score.

I think you should just see what you get though and either be happy with the score or have it as motivation to do better and not let it happen again.

either way, I hope it all works out! :P

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Mikey wrote:
foodlaw wrote:

you'll never find out if you did well or bad on it if you cancel your score though. if you cancel, you may be cancelling a test you did well on and you may wonder "WHAT IF" about that score.

is it your first take? 1 low score won't do anything. I know many people who had scores in the 150's or low 160's then got scores in the 170's and got into great schools with no one batting an eye at their lower scores.

if you feel THAT terrible about it, I guess you can cancel if you want. But if you feel that there is a chance you may have done ok then just keep the score.

I think you should just see what you get though and either be happy with the score or have it as motivation to do better and not let it happen again.

Thanks for your 2 cents Mikey!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GoingBackToSchool

New

Post by GoingBackToSchool » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:49 am

Mikey wrote:
foodlaw wrote:

I agree - keep the Sept score and own it. It'll give you a good gauge for December. If you score very low then now you know what you need to do to score higher in Dec. If your score is not so bad then, again, you have a good gauge going into December. Own the September score and let it guide you for December. I was in the same boat over the weekend and have decided to keep my score. From what I've seen and heard the schools only want the highest score so they can report that to the ABA and look good.

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:26 am

Last edited by littlewing67 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Any votes for cancel?

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:24 pm

foodlaw wrote:Any votes for cancel?
it would appear not

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:25 pm

At this point canceling is all downside. It doesn't matter if you did bad. Highest score is all that matters.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:48 pm

I don't see the point in cancelling unless something crazy happened and you didn't fill in a whole section or something wild like that. If you made it through it all and just feel iffy about your performance then I see no reason to cancel. You never know if you're cancelling a great score, and even if you did poorly schools only care about the highest.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:33 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:I don't see the point in cancelling unless something crazy happened and you didn't fill in a whole section or something wild like that. If you made it through it all and just feel iffy about your performance then I see no reason to cancel. You never know if you're cancelling a great score, and even if you did poorly schools only care about the highest.
I made it through but I know I did bad. It's not just a feeling. I pretty much guessed on last two passages of RC :cry:

I guess there's a consensus on TLS to keep though...

sillymints7962

New

Post by sillymints7962 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:50 pm

I'm going to assume this was your first LSAT, and if it was, then you should definitely keep :). I'm saying this even though I seriously wish I'd cancel my last LSAT (third time taking it, got one point lower than my second try).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GoingBackToSchool

New

Post by GoingBackToSchool » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:35 pm

foodlaw wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:I don't see the point in cancelling unless something crazy happened and you didn't fill in a whole section or something wild like that. If you made it through it all and just feel iffy about your performance then I see no reason to cancel. You never know if you're cancelling a great score, and even if you did poorly schools only care about the highest.
I made it through but I know I did bad. It's not just a feeling. I pretty much guessed on last two passages of RC :cry:

and imagine if you did well? How cool would that be?

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:14 am

GoingBackToSchool wrote:
foodlaw wrote:

and imagine if you did well? How cool would that be?
wishful thinking :?

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:24 am

One more argument for keep it: You can PT all you want and as strenuously as you want but those scores are less accurate of your actual ability than a real-thing-actual LSAT. Keep the score and see where you really are. You get to see how you did on the other sections as well, so write down how you think you performed, be honest with yourself, and then compare your actual results for each section. Use that as a baseline for studying for the next test. It's ultimately another data point but it's probably the strongest one you're ever going to get. You're not getting the money back. Just accept it and drive on.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoingBackToSchool

New

Post by GoingBackToSchool » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:45 pm

AJordan wrote:One more argument for keep it: You can PT all you want and as strenuously as you want but those scores are less accurate of your actual ability than a real-thing-actual LSAT. Keep the score and see where you really are. You get to see how you did on the other sections as well, so write down how you think you performed, be honest with yourself, and then compare your actual results for each section. Use that as a baseline for studying for the next test. It's ultimately another data point but it's probably the strongest one you're ever going to get. You're not getting the money back. Just accept it and drive on.
Totally agree!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”