-11 Curve, September 2017 Waiter's Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What did you get?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

180-178
7%
177-175
11%
174-172
13%
171-169
15%
168-166
17%
165-160
20%
159-155
9%
154-150
5%
<150
3%

Total votes: 138

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Re: Dive-bombing for Judges, September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Post by GnarMarBinx » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:08 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:The only reason it takes a month(ish) to get the score report is because LSAC wants everyone with LR LG LR LR RC to go full blown existential crisis, in turn weeding them out from the December test. That's my theory.
I am within this group, by the way. Can attest to the effect of not knowing your experimental.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:13 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:The only reason it takes a month(ish) to get the score report is because LSAC wants everyone with LR LG LR LR RC to go full blown existential crisis, in turn weeding them out from the December test. That's my theory.
I am within this group, by the way. Can attest to the effect of not knowing your experimental.
You all have my utmost sympathy. I'm in the group that had the experimental RC from hell first and I wept real tears of joy when I found out it wouldn't count. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't know, but wherever I was, there'd be an empty bottle on the floor next to me.

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:32 am

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Same boat. I'm not sure how anyone with this set up remembers specific questions lol. I'm still really hoping section 1 was the experimental

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:41 am

chewinggum wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
Same boat. I'm not sure how anyone with this set up remembers specific questions lol. I'm still really hoping section 1 was the experimental
It's really frustrating knowing that either of the 2 other formats would have not only been easier for me on test day, they would have resulted in me knowing which sections were scored.

The stress over which was the experimental sucks since I felt I did great on one of the 25q sections and mediocre or bad on the other. I too pray that the first section i got is the experimental.

GnarMarBinx

Bronze

Post by GnarMarBinx » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Impressionist wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:
It's really frustrating knowing that either of the 2 other formats would have not only been easier for me on test day, they would have resulted in me knowing which sections were scored.

The stress over which was the experimental sucks since I felt I did great on one of the 25q sections and mediocre or bad on the other. I too pray that the first section i got is the experimental.
Yup, really hoping my second section is scored. That one felt the best. Also, LR has naturally been my best section and so I always switched between LG and RC for my experimentals in my PTs. I wasn't used to doing 3 LR sections, which I think is also why I found the 26 Q section (my third LR) tough. Did you two have two 25 Q LR sections or two 26 Q LR sections? I have heard that Different people who had 3 LRs got different sections and orderings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:38 pm

GnarMarBinx wrote:
Impressionist wrote:
chewinggum wrote:
GnarMarBinx wrote:

Yup, really hoping my second section is scored. That one felt the best. Also, LR has naturally been my best section and so I always switched between LG and RC for my experimentals in my PTs. I wasn't used to doing 3 LR sections, which I think is also why I found the 26 Q section (my third LR) tough. Did you two have two 25 Q LR sections or two 26 Q LR sections? I have heard that Different people who had 3 LRs got different sections and orderings.
I had two 25 and the 26 as my third. Oddly enough, I had at least 3 minutes to review the first two LR sections but I finished the third LR just in time.

The ONLY positive of the 3 LR's (for me) was the location of the LG. If LG was last or the 3 LR's were first I'd flip lol

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:51 pm

172+ I'll be really happy, 170-171 I don't know, less than 170 definitely retaking.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:03 pm

A few things I want to complain about:

- There is no reason grading scantrons and inputting scores should take three weeks. Give us our score ASAP, release the PDFs of our scantrons, writing sample and such later

- Why in the 21st century we cannot select individual LSAT scores to send to schools is beyond me

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Walliums wrote:A few things I want to complain about:

- There is no reason grading scantrons and inputting scores should take three weeks. Give us our score ASAP, release the PDFs of our scantrons, writing sample and such later

- Why in the 21st century we cannot select individual LSAT scores to send to schools is beyond me
Also, why isn't the test administered at least once a month?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:21 pm

chewinggum wrote:

Yes yes yes yes

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:35 pm

chewinggum wrote:

"Because we don't have to ha ha" -LSAC Gods

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm

I wonder when GRE study guides/groups will start popping up in this forum

merdblah

New

Post by merdblah » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:36 pm

chewinggum wrote:

I'd say the most obvious reason for this is likely test question generation.

The individual scores thing might just be a philosophy. You are more likely to take each test seriously if you know it'll be reported no matter what. This means schools get at least a chance to see if your highest score is an outlier and inquire into why at their leisure.

I agree with the grading of scantrons though there are likely some things outside their control that do cause a bit of a delay. They likely don't own the grading machines themselves and thus have to rent time from a company that runs them for them. So you are a bit at the mercy of that company's schedule. They likely want to get all the scantrons at once, so time to ship them from all over to their facility where they then deliver them for grading all at once, which also means waiting for any tests that were taken at a later date, they likely build in a buffer if certain things have to be rescheduled (hurricanes, etc), after running the scantrons and scanning them they then have to process a lot of data (converting from whatever format the grading company puts it in into the LSAC system format, they then have to upload all those images to their servers which will take some time, you have to generate and store all the other forms like the sheet that shows your answers next to the correct ones), yadda yadda yadda. All in all I think it could likely be done in two-ish weeks if they wanted a really tight deadline, but they are of course going to grant themselves a lot of leeway rather than risk continually missing deadlines. Most standardized tests take about as long. Plus, they likely don't invest in a lot of server infrastructure because why would they. So all that back-end processing is probably done fairly slowly.

They might be able to get around a lot of this by simply uploading scores as soon as possible and granting access to your scantron images and the like later, but that would probably cause a lot of people to complain and demand to know what questions they missed, etc. If it's all released at once, they can get around a little of the complaining by people just checking their answer sheets and the questions.
Last edited by merdblah on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Anybody else trying to get the rest of their application done before October in case of December retake?

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:40 pm

How are people's applications going? I've gotten my references and begun jotting down ideas for my ps.

caramelizedgod

New

Post by caramelizedgod » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:45 pm

littlelibertine wrote:Anybody else trying to get the rest of their application done before October in case of December retake?
Doesn't really matter for me. I don't plan on doing much more studying for the lsat. Got full time school rn and will only be doing maybe 4-5 pt's on the weekends the month before.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:48 pm

caramelizedgod wrote:How are people's applications going? I've gotten my references and begun jotting down ideas for my ps.
Good so far. Have one of my references in, and the other pending (but I've spoken with her recently). I've written two incomplete PS drafts and I'm writing the third to completion as we speak. So far, it seems like it's going well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 pm

caramelizedgod wrote:How are people's applications going? I've gotten my references and begun jotting down ideas for my ps.
I've got a PS and DS in their final rounds of edits. One rec in, the other should be in by the end of the week. I'm starting to look at the different supplemental requirements for the schools I'd like to apply to once the Sept results are in.

merdblah

New

Post by merdblah » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:05 pm

I just scrapped everything I'd written for my PS. Now have an outline for a new one I like more, but will need to struggle through actually writing it. My recs are already in, as are my transcripts. I've filled out the applications I'm going to submit. So just need to upload my resume and PS and hit submit (and take a large financial hit from LSAC because fucking $35 per school for no discernible reason to send CAS info :x )

littlewing67

Silver

Post by littlewing67 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Last edited by littlewing67 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:50 pm

littlelibertine wrote:Anybody else trying to get the rest of their application done before October in case of December retake?
yup.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tiffany_1234

New

Re: September 2017 Waiter's Thread

Post by tiffany_1234 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:56 pm

saf18hornet wrote:I had a single RC section as my 5th section. The first 2 passages were okay but I took too long on the first passage. Then when that 3rd passage (judges candor), showed up I hated all of it. I didn't like any of the AC and sunk allllll my remaining time into it. I didn't even try to read the last passage, just did the fee questions on specific line and word references then penciled in guesses. I'm gonna guess I got the same score as June.

I had 3 RC, the 1st one seemed very difficult (25Q). The other two not so bad.

LG seemed fine to me, but one question tripped me off. I would guess that folks will worse on this LG than they are expecting.
I have exactly the same feelings as you, and I believe I have the same sections as you too. I think the 1st (25Q) and 3rd(26) LR is of median difficulty, and the 2nd one is relatively easy. But LG is kinda weird for me, maybe they are too short, and I worry about this part the most, while people are all saying that LG this time is very easy.
Can I know your score range of your last exam? Because I am thinking whether to cancel the score this time.

tiffany_1234

New

Post by tiffany_1234 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:01 pm

greenmusic97 wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:I had a single RC section as my 5th section. The first 2 passages were okay but I took too long on the first passage. Then when that 3rd passage (judges candor), showed up I hated all of it. I didn't like any of the AC and sunk allllll my remaining time into it. I didn't even try to read the last passage, just did the fee questions on specific line and word references then penciled in guesses. I'm gonna guess I got the same score as June.

I had 3 RC, the 1st one seemed very difficult (25Q). The other two not so bad.

LG seemed fine to me, but one question tripped me off. I would guess that folks will worse on this LG than they are expecting.
Omg, the same order, and exactly the same reactions to everything. Judges was brutal. I read the last one super quickly, did the line questions, and just barely scanned the rest and chose what i thought sounded good.

That first LR was awful, agreed. Hoping it's experimental.
Everything the same. Are you guys thinking about cancel the score this time? or just wanna wait to see. I couldn't remember any specific questions in the exam, just the topic, so I am not able to evaluate the score now, making me really hesitated.

tiffany_1234

New

Post by tiffany_1234 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Gluteus wrote:So now that I have a pretty good understanding of what the real sections were:

First real LR: Feel good about this. Pretty sure I did no worse than -3 to -4. Finished with two minutes to spare.

LG: 0 Most likely scenario by far. Anything more than -2 would shock me. I never finished a LG section with 10 minutes left before. Wowzers

Second real LR (3rd LR overall): I don't know what to think about this one. Fatigue set in and I could feel myself not being able to think as clearly as usual. Furthermore I distinctly remember my mind going blank on the questions in the mid teens. Nevertheless, I recovered a bit and finished on time and never had to take a pure guess on any of the questions.

RC: Didn't seem super hard. I removed targeted RC drilling from my preparation in the weeks before the test. I feel as if this was a big mistake.

So I find myself in the situation of being extremely confident on the first sections and having no idea how I did on the later two. Subsequently a score of anywhere between 160-172 wouldn't shock me.
You think the first instead of the second LR is the first real LR?

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Waiting on two of my three rec letters to come in. I've filled out more applications than schools I plan on actually applying to (LSAT score will determine the final round) and am polishing up my PS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”