What's the longest you've heard someone study for the LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
foodlaw

New

What's the longest you've heard someone study for the LSAT?

Post by foodlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Hiya! I've been studying for the LSAT on/off for almost a year now, with the past 4 months being full-time and I'm getting pretty tired of the LSAT. I'm hoping to be done after I take the September LSAT, but I'm most likely going to retake in December to max out -- which means more studying! yay! :roll:

Just wondering, how long have you been studying? What's the longest you've heard someone study for the LSAT? I guess it'd be reassuring to me in a way to hear about other people who scored 170+ with more than 6+months of studying because there's a lot of people who claimed they scored 170+ after <3 months of studying on TLS.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: What's the longest you've heard someone study for the LSAT?

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Took me a full year to get to mid 170s

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Took me a full year to get to mid 170s
When did you start hitting the 170s?

jrose55

New

Post by jrose55 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:59 am

I studied about 6 months total, but I didn't get serious until the last 2 months. I was in school and working PT the entire time. My LSAT was a 170. The powerscore bibles helped more than anything else.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 am

foodlaw wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Took me a full year to get to mid 170s
When did you start hitting the 170s?
A month or so before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 am

I've heard of people studying for like 2 years, some a little more.

I've been studying for a year and like 9 months. I'm sick of this test too, I know how you feel lol. Can September 16th get here any faster??

I think the shortest I've heard of someone studying though, who I actually know is a month, and they ended up getting a 170.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:09 am

Mikey wrote:I've heard of people studying for like 2 years, some a little more.

I've been studying for a year and like 9 months. I'm sick of this test too, I know how you feel lol. Can September 16th get here any faster??

I think the shortest I've heard of someone studying though, who I actually know is a month, and they ended up getting a 170.
I know someone who cold sat for the lsat and got a 171. But she is by far the exception. It took me 9-10 months to get to high 160s, then another month or so to consistently break 170, then a final month to consistently score with -0/-1 overall.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 am

sparkytrainer wrote:

I know someone who cold sat for the lsat and got a 171. But she is by far the exception. It took me 9-10 months to get to high 160s, then another month or so to consistently break 170, then a final month to consistently score with -0/-1 overall.
wish I could've sat cold for it and had gotten a 171. must be nice lmao

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 am

2 years? That's dedication!

Same, ready to have a score on the table.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:18 am

sparkytrainer wrote:

Wow, that's crazy. I guess she already had the critical thinking skills that the LSAT rewards. What do you think pushed you into the 170s? I'm still stuck in the high 160s, LR being the main issue...

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:22 am

By the time I take the test in December I will have been studying for 8 months straight, between 15 and 40 hours a week. Obviously at this point Im not sure where Ill be scoring in 3 months but if I had to guess Id say Ill be in the mid to high 160's with the possibility of a 170. I am generally not an envious person, but I seriously envy those that score so highly right off the bat lol

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:24 am

Mikey wrote: I think the shortest I've heard of someone studying though, who I actually know is a month, and they ended up getting a 170.
I did 3 weeks for a 171 (almost all my errors were in games, which I just didn't know how to do). Am retaking, but honestly after the initial fast gain kinda plateaued after getting LG from like -15 to -2 to -4, other sections I always missed 0-3 on.

But there was a poster on here the other week whose diagnostic was a 170, and a friend of a friend got a 179 without studying all that much.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:31 am

Jack_Kelly wrote:
Mikey wrote: I think the shortest I've heard of someone studying though, who I actually know is a month, and they ended up getting a 170.
I did 3 weeks for a 171 (almost all my errors were in games, which I just didn't know how to do). Am retaking, but honestly after the initial fast gain kinda plateaued after getting LG from like -15 to -2 to -4, other sections I always missed 0-3 on.

But there was a poster on here the other week whose diagnostic was a 170, and a friend of a friend got a 179 without studying all that much.
what can't I be that smart

ugh

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:56 am

I just can't believe that someone could just bang out a 170 without studying. Like I refuse to believe it. Even if I saw it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it.

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 am

MediocreAtBest wrote:I just can't believe that someone could just bang out a 170 without studying. Like I refuse to believe it. Even if I saw it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it.
Agreed! LG just seems so unnatural at first that I have a hard time believing someone could go -0 with no prep at all. I can see how someone could naturally be good at LR and RC but LG was just something Ive never seen before when I started my studies lol

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:32 pm

MercW07 wrote: Agreed! LG just seems so unnatural at first that I have a hard time believing someone could go -0 with no prep at all. I can see how someone could naturally be good at LR and RC but LG was just something Ive never seen before when I started my studies lol
But even on Lr there are certain trends and whatnot that someone who hasn't studied for it couldn't possibly get consistently. I know there are some super smart people out there, but I just don't believe cold 170s.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:41 pm

I didn't even realize people studied that long until I started reading TLS after the june test. Makes me think I left some points on the table since I only studied for a month seriously

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lxwind

New

Post by Lxwind » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:14 pm

MercW07 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:I just can't believe that someone could just bang out a 170 without studying. Like I refuse to believe it. Even if I saw it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it.
Agreed! LG just seems so unnatural at first that I have a hard time believing someone could go -0 with no prep at all. I can see how someone could naturally be good at LR and RC but LG was just something Ive never seen before when I started my studies lol
Actually LR seemed a lot more unnatural to me at first (and RC is still killing me). The types of questions in LG were actually part of my math training when I was in elementary school and junior high...(20 logic questions within 30 minutes being an exam type included in a selective procedure for an advanced math training course) I guess that is more common among East Asian students.. :shock:

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:47 pm

I studied on and off again for about 2 years, but I'd say only about 6-8 months of more than 10+ hour weeks. Only took once and scored a 170, but pt'd into the 171-173 range for the last two months.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Mikey wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:

ugh
Haha how I feel after going on TLS

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:14 pm

foodlaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:

ugh
Haha how I feel after going on TLS
I just realized I wrote what instead of why lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HDMI2

New

Post by HDMI2 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:05 pm

Studied for 4 months, and hated LSAT prep by the time I was almost done. I got 162, which is great for me. I would've wanted a 165, but I'm retaking the test this coming December. So, I'm really doing 8 months of studying. I am hoping I will reach my 165 goal. :?:

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:36 pm

HDMI2 wrote:Studied for 4 months, and hated LSAT prep by the time I was almost done. I got 162, which is great for me. I would've wanted a 165, but I'm retaking the test this coming December. So, I'm really doing 8 months of studying. I am hoping I will reach my 165 goal. :?:
I think 3 months is plenty of time to reach 165 (from a 162), if not higher!

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:26 pm

A friend got 175 cold from the LSAC diagnostic test.... and he's going to med school. The MCAT prep probably made LSAT look like a walk in the park.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:54 pm

tuna_wasabi wrote:
A friend got 175 cold from the LSAC diagnostic test.... and he's going to med school. The MCAT prep probably made LSAT look like a walk in the park.
Idk.. isn't the MCAT a knowledge based test? I think the LSAT requires a different type of thinking

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”