7Sage vs. Trainer vs. Manhattan vs. Powerscore? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Aleksander

New

7Sage vs. Trainer vs. Manhattan vs. Powerscore?

Post by Aleksander » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi everyone --

So I've read all the strategy guides on here and it seems they were written some time ago. While I can assume that the actual strategy of how to study has likely remained the same, I'm not sure how to tell if the recommended materials are still recommended. From a cursory survey of the LSAT forum here it seems like most people recommend either 7Sage, LSAT Trainer, Powerscore, or Manhattan books. Some also advocated Blueprint but I signed up for a trial and didn't really like the cartoons, lol.

I'm here to ask, as someone aiming to score in the 170s, what materials/course(s) would you recommend?

MercW07

Bronze

Re: 7Sage vs. Trainer vs. Manhattan vs. Powerscore?

Post by MercW07 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:08 pm

7Sage and Trainer

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:41 pm

7sage (for $179), The LSAT Trainer (under $40), and 30 practice tests are all you need. Nothing will guarantee you a 170, but these will allow you to reach your maximum potential fairly quickly.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:51 pm

Justtrying2help wrote:7sage (for $179), The LSAT Trainer (under $40), and 30 practice tests are all you need. Nothing will guarantee you a 170, but these will allow you to reach your maximum potential fairly quickly.
Agreed. This is how I got a 170s score.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:28 pm

I'll add to the above that there seems to be a consensus that Manhattan RC book is the best RC resource out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aleksander

New

Post by Aleksander » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:54 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Justtrying2help wrote:7sage (for $179), The LSAT Trainer (under $40), and 30 practice tests are all you need. Nothing will guarantee you a 170, but these will allow you to reach your maximum potential fairly quickly.
Agreed. This is how I got a 170s score.

You guys think all I need are 30 PTs? I just worry about that not being enough since many people claim that you need to do all the old games to do well. Is that true? Will I be able to do well with just PTs 52-82? I figure I could use 52-61 for drilling/timed sections and then 62-82 for full tests. Would something like work along with 7sage, The LSAT Trainer, Manhattan trilogy?

Facelessgod

New

Post by Facelessgod » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:01 am

Also, once you have the basics down and have moved on to doing timed sections/tests, you can use 7sage's free video explanations for games and the Powerscore/Manhattan forums as well as lsathacks.com explanations for logical reasoning and reading comprehension.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Aleksander wrote:You guys think all I need are 30 PTs? I just worry about that not being enough since many people claim that you need to do all the old games to do well. Is that true? Will I be able to do well with just PTs 52-82? I figure I could use 52-61 for drilling/timed sections and then 62-82 for full tests. Would something like work along with 7sage, The LSAT Trainer, Manhattan trilogy?
7sage includes 13 PTs as well.

Certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a book of the old games but you don't need the LR/RC from the old PTs.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:47 pm

I think that a combination of 7sage and the Trainer is the best self-study regimen around. I did an in-person Testmasters course before June, and I liked it fine, but I improved much faster and more efficiently studying on my own with the Trainer and 7sage. I especially liked their methods for LG, and, while they aren't perfectly in sync, they are complementary. I was self-studying for a re-take, so I skimmed/skipped the sections that dealt with the basics like sufficient and necessary, but I think that what they offer is more than enough for you to build up your core LSAT competencies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

allezallez21

New

Post by allezallez21 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:09 pm

Another vote for 7sage and the Trainer.

The trainer is good for getting you in the right mindset.

I will advocate for buying the Ultimate+ on 7Sage. Having printable versions of every single PT is really valuable. You get immense amount of drilling material.

Aleksander

New

Post by Aleksander » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks, guys!

Would purchasing and drilling PT 52-82 be enough material? Is there really a need to get and do parts of older tests from before I was even born? I've studied for other tests and it always seems a bit odd that many LSATers go back to do practice problems from tests that are nearly 20+ years old.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Aleksander wrote:Thanks, guys!

Would purchasing and drilling PT 52-82 be enough material? Is there really a need to get and do parts of older tests from before I was even born? I've studied for other tests and it always seems a bit odd that many LSATers go back to do practice problems from tests that are nearly 20+ years old.
it's not odd at all to go back to those older tests. people go back to older tests to learn the material and then use more recent tests as timed practice tests. plus, it's more material if you go back to older tests so you can practice more. it's essentially all the same crap, there are just some differences now but none that make older tests useless

Aleksander

New

Post by Aleksander » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Mikey wrote:

it's not odd at all to go back to those older tests. people go back to older tests to learn the material and then use more recent tests as timed practice tests. plus, it's more material if you go back to older tests so you can practice more. it's essentially all the same crap, there are just some differences now but none that make older tests useless
I'm not saying they're useless, and I get that essentially all PTs would be helpful in some way, but it definitely strikes me as odd that people recommend I need tests from the 1990s to do well.

Again, my question was just whether or not getting those older tests are necessary or would using from 2007 and on be enough material?

So just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that specifically.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Aleksander wrote:
Mikey wrote:

I'm not saying they're useless, and I get that essentially all PTs would be helpful in some way, but it definitely strikes me as odd that people recommend I need tests from the 1990s to do well.

Again, my question was just whether or not getting those older tests are necessary or would using from 2007 and on be enough material?

no they're not necessary, but they can be helpful if you were to get your hands on them. the June 2007 test and on are best since they have comparative reading, so I'd say just get PT 52+ and if you end up retaking or just need more materials then get older ones to see fresh material.

Aleksander

New

Post by Aleksander » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Mikey wrote:
Aleksander wrote:
Mikey wrote:

no they're not necessary, but they can be helpful if you were to get your hands on them. the June 2007 test and on are best since they have comparative reading, so I'd say just get PT 52+ and if you end up retaking or just need more materials then get older ones to see fresh material.
Thank you, bro!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:29 pm

sev wrote:I'll add to the above that there seems to be a consensus that Manhattan RC book is the best RC resource out there.
+1

unamis99

New

Post by unamis99 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 pm

So would you guys say that using 7Sage and the Trainer is as good a study strategy as say taking a PowerScore or TestMasters online course along with the Trainer? I'm trying to decide which route to take...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aleksander

New

Post by Aleksander » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:37 pm

unamis99 wrote:So would you guys say that using 7Sage and the Trainer is as good a study strategy as say taking a PowerScore or TestMasters online course along with the Trainer? I'm trying to decide which route to take...

I've been using 7Sage + Manhattan Trilogy for about 6 weeks and have increased my score quite a bit. To be honest, I just don't think you can beat 7Sage for games and Manhattan for LR.

unamis99

New

Post by unamis99 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:43 pm

Aleksander wrote:
unamis99 wrote:So would you guys say that using 7Sage and the Trainer is as good a study strategy as say taking a PowerScore or TestMasters online course along with the Trainer? I'm trying to decide which route to take...

I've been using 7Sage + Manhattan Trilogy for about 6 weeks and have increased my score quite a bit. To be honest, I just don't think you can beat 7Sage for games and Manhattan for LR.
Do you find that 7Sage and Manhattan work together well? Are they complementary to each other, or do their strategies make it hard to use them together? I'm having a hard time deciding how to study for the test...

Aleksander

New

Post by Aleksander » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 pm

unamis99 wrote:
Aleksander wrote:

Do you find that 7Sage and Manhattan work together well? Are they complementary to each other, or do their strategies make it hard to use them together? I'm having a hard time deciding how to study for the test...

Nope, I find them extremely complimentary!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”